Free round of golf at haggs castle

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
so i can still wear ma shorts?

Less to get wet!

Virtuocity- I didn't need to qualify (thankfully). Clubs put their names forward and I don't know if it was first come or if we were drawn but two of us are going from my club.

So I'm representing my club as well as the forum. Sorry in advance :mad:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay dokey- a wee write up of my day.

Despite the weather forecast promising showers between 1pm and 2pm, we were lucky not to be exposed to rain.

We were given a nice wee goody bag of a towel, cap, Hex Black balls, GM mag, super-non-friction tees (no custom fitting available) and a few other bits and bobs. Thanks to GM and Callaway / Odyssey :thup:

We were told that we had to use Odyssey putters and there were plenty to choose from. Had a shot of quite a few but settled on the White Hot Pro Two Ball. Lovely thing that I now want to own. I clearly have expensive tastes though- found out it's £130 new.

First round was a stroke play. Delighted not to 3 putt at all, but only managed a single 1 putt which brought me in at 35 strokes. Good enough for round two. I'll let the other guys tell you how much better they did than me.

Round 2 was a seeded match play. Got knocked out by the eventual runner up. He was a great putter and really taught me a lesson! However, I do think it unfair that he was allowed to use his own Odyssey putter and will be asking for a decision from the committee as to whether this result should stand.

I will also be asking the committee to request Passports from all finalists at the Belfry to avoid any foreign types invading what should really be a completely British affair.

Had a buffet (sandwiches and chips :confused::confused::confused:) which was nice, but random then got a tee time with Bigslice and Farneyman (cheat).

Had a good round on a boring parklands course. I can imagine feeling pretty depressed by hole 12 if the weather wasn't as nice.

Course in good nick though and always nice to chalk another track off my short list.

Company was great and thanks to the aforementioned forumites for all the very handy tips and advice. I may call on you guys for another round soon as it was as close to a playing lesson as I've ever had.

This was my first GM event and I really enjoyed it- hopefully get along to another one soon.

IMG-20130724-00073.jpg

IMG-20130724-00074.jpg

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
_42200764_hoffman.jpg

Fair point.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very enjoyable day as Charlie has said we all got treated to a cracking goodie bag.

Once the registaration was completed we all went to play the 9 holes cut on green twice, holing out everything.

I played with BigSlice and he came shooting out the blocks to single putt the first 4 holes to eventually using 30 strokes to complete the job. I proceeded to 3 putt my final hole for a respectable 31 putts. Top 16/17 went through to match play which was seeded, so a quick playoff with the bottom 3 or 4 decided the unlucky loser who missed out the match play where the real pressure starts...

After BigSlices top ranking he was the bookies early favourite but unfortunately, like Westwood, when the pressure really counted his short game disappeared and he was a first round casualty. ;)

It was really interesting the way the games went and in one round I was 3 down with 9 to play, 5 rapid single putts saw me close out an exciting match.

I made it as far as the last four and missed out on a final slot on the 1st extra hole.

As a result of that I have earned a place in Britians Best Putter, a new putter, shirt and round at The Belfry...

Looking to win may be a step too far for me but I certainly will be disappointed if I don't finish Britains Best Irish Putter 2013 :cool:

A good feed of chips and sandwiches at lunchtime set us up for the afternoon round...I was uninspired by the course, too many trees and today I feel like I've seen more dog legs than a lamppost, eh Charlie lol.

The course was in great condition but just not at all to my liking either. With all the trees and doglegs I found most holes dull, boring, flat and uninteresting and not a patch on my normal links golf. Who knows maybe the Belfry will change my mind, I really hope it does.

Anyway thanks to all the organisers for putting on the day.

It's been emotional...

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh and seeing Bighook hit a wedge from about 100 yards over a greenside bunker to 2 feet of a tight pin was probably the best shot I've seen this year.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
That was the one just after his duffer wedge I think if I remember correctly lol

correct just after my 240 yard 5 wood.
really enjoyed the day and company on the course. and bigslice and farneyman are available for coaching in person or online for anyone else interested in upping their game.
im not the best golfer in the world (or putter) but when you can see easy fixes required its rude not to say. lol

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember you duffing 2 second shots in a row and wasn't sure which one Virtu was talking about ;)

How many points did you end up with anyway today Charlie HoffmanHofferHeadCopperHead?

Great ball striking off 23 by the way :thup: