free relief in a bunker

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
a really weird turn of events today.

my friend hit his shot into a green side bunker. however it litteraly dribbled over the edge and stopped inside a massive rabit hole about 3 inches below. taking free relief was difficult as this particular place in the bunker was the furthest point from the pin and it was impossible to drop without dropping closer to the hole whilst still staying in the bunker. whats the ruling?

also, i hit my shot into the same place. this time my ball went down the rabit hole and back towards me. this ment the area directly above my ball was not in the bunker. am i correct in saying i take relief by dropping out of the bunker above the ball?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a really weird turn of events today.

my friend hit his shot into a green side bunker. however it litteraly dribbled over the edge and stopped inside a massive rabit hole about 3 inches below. taking free relief was difficult as this particular place in the bunker was the furthest point from the pin and it was impossible to drop without dropping closer to the hole whilst still staying in the bunker. whats the ruling?

also, i hit my shot into the same place. this time my ball went down the rabit hole and back towards me. this ment the area directly above my ball was not in the bunker. am i correct in saying i take relief by dropping out of the bunker above the ball?

Thats strange exactly that happened to me last time I played myself and 2 p/p were not sure how to proceed, so I dropped farthest away as I could but was still nearer the hole .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your own situation
[h=2]25-1b/25[/h] [h=4]Ball Enters Burrowing Animal Hole in Bunker and Is Found Underneath Putting Green[/h] Q.A ball enters a burrowing animal hole in a greenside bunker and is found underneath the putting green. As the ball is not in the bunker or on the putting green, is relief taken in accordance with Rule 25-1b(i), i.e., through the green?

A.Yes. The player would drop the ball without penalty on a part of the course through the green within one club-length of the nearest point to its position in the burrowing animal hole that avoids interference from the condition and is not in a hazard, not on a putting green and not nearer the hole.

Your Partner In my opinion but also not totally certain I would have thought would have to take option b if wanting to take relief

(ii)
In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:

(a)Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker or, if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or

(b)Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
So in the OP’s instance it sounds like they were unable to take relief in the bunker without it being closer to the hole. So do they have to take a stroke penalty and play from behind the bunker as going closer to the hole is not a possibility?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
So in the OP’s instance it sounds like they were unable to take relief in the bunker without it being closer to the hole. So do they have to take a stroke penalty and play from behind the bunker as going closer to the hole is not a possibility?

If the player can't take the "on a line" or the "2 club lengths" options because there is nowhere to drop in the bunker that is not near the hole, then the only option left is stroke & distance, ie going back to where previous shot was played

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the player can't take the "on a line" or the "2 club lengths" options because there is nowhere to drop in the bunker that is not near the hole, then the only option left is stroke & distance, ie going back to where previous shot was played

You're confusing taking relief from an abnormal ground condition like the rabbit hole in a bunker with relief from an unplayable ball in a bunker.

Relief from an abnormal ground condition:
Drop within a club length of the nearest point of relief or point of maximum relief without penalty.
Or drop outside the bunker anywhere back along the line from the hole through where the ball lay with a 1 stroke penalty [Rule 25-1b(ii)]

Relief from unplayable ball in a bunker:
Drop in the bunker either within 2 clublengths or back along the line from the hole through where the ball lay.
Or drop where you played your previous shot.
1 penalty stroke for all options. [Rule 28]

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

You're confusing taking relief from an abnormal ground condition like the rabbit hole in a bunker with relief from an unplayable ball in a bunker.

Relief from an abnormal ground condition:
Drop within a club length of the nearest point of relief or point of maximum relief without penalty.
Or drop outside the bunker anywhere back along the line from the hole through where the ball lay with a 1 stroke penalty [Rule 25-1b(ii)]

Relief from unplayable ball in a bunker:
Drop in the bunker either within 2 clublengths or back along the line from the hole through where the ball lay.
Or drop where you played your previous shot.
1 penalty stroke for all options. [Rule 28]

Not sure why you think I'm confusing things. I said the same as you?

If a ball in a bunker is deemed unplayable , then the drop for the 2CL and the "on a line" options has to be in the bunker. If the ball is so near the very back of bunker that neither 2CL or on a line is possible - because anywhere in the bunker would be nearer the hole - then one is "stuffed" and your only option is to go back to where the last shot was played. (Or try to play it).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure why you think I'm confusing things. I said the same as you?

Because the context as set in the OP was taking relief from an abnormal ground condition (the rabbit hole), which is what "captainron" was asking about. It seemed as if you were advising him that stroke distance was the only option for getting a drop outside the bunker. Perhaps I have misread?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Because the context as set in the OP was taking relief from an abnormal ground condition (the rabbit hole), which is what "captainron" was asking about. It seemed as if you were advising him that stroke distance was the only option for getting a drop outside the bunker. Perhaps I have misread?

OP had 2 scenarios - one with the rabbit hole, and one with just a cr*ppy lie. I was referring to the latter (in response to captainiron, who l think was also referring to same).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
OP had 2 scenarios - one with the rabbit hole, and one with just a cr*ppy lie. I was referring to the latter (in response to captainiron, who l think was also referring to same).

Ok, except I read that both situations involved the rabbit hole in the OP. No matter though.