Free drop from path - nearest point of relief...

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd also like to point out that the way my mind appears to work in no way reflects my morals as a golfer :)

Yes you could drop from staked tree to staked tree and back to the fairway.

As to you golfing morality, I don't personally give any credence to the idea often expressed that there are the Rules of Golf and something else called the Spirit of the Game which makes it somehow unsportsmanlike (or even cheating) to play within the rules if it is to your advantage. The statement in the Rules about the Spirit of the Game tells us we should abide by the Rules. It doesn't suggest we need to cherry pick from the Rules those which are supposedly more sporting than others.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if that is the case for the original obstruction, could you (in theory) be 10yds off the fairway and carefully drop from staked tree to staked tree to get back to the fairway?

colin's covered but I would highlight that it was partially in response to this (to help people who might find themselves challenged by the morals :) ) that you started to get the whole 'plantation' of such staked trees marked off as GUR. another part was to save needing to mow between the young trees as much - doing more damage than golfers!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. Region3 and Colin were not talking about a penalty drop but free relief from Immovable Obstruction.

Indeed I did. Posts were lurching between Free and Penalty!

<WRX Mode>

My Bad!

</WRX Mode> :D

And agree with Colin. Spirit of the Game is to play within The Rules - with honesty, integrity and courtesy. That doesn't mean not 'taking advantage' of rules where the circumstances allow.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
the 2cl can be any direction you wish - not nearer the hole, not on a green, not in a hazard......

from the number of times I see people measuring 2cl from yellow WH, paths and buildings I realise it's a point of confusion to many!

Yes, but he wouldn't have listened to you.

The 2 club lengths (Rule 28c ) and the any distance back along the line (Rule 28b) are two distinct options.

With 2 club lengths you have an arc of 180 degrees to drop in and then the ball may roll up to a further 2 club lengths so with a favourable slope you can end up 4 club lengths from where you were.

If after dropping under penalty there was interference from the path, you would be entitled to relief.

Wrong - in this case.

When taking an unplayable, any IO has no bearing. It's only once the 2CLs have been taken - onto the path a(nd hope it bounces favourably and stays on the 'best side' of the path) that the IO rule comes into play.

So Unplayable - Drop within 2 CLs - (costing a penalty shot). Then relief from IO - NPR and drop within 1 CL - (free). In both cases, ball can travel 2 (further CLs). In taking relief from IO, ball cannot end up such that IO comes interferes.

Thanks guys. I think David would have resisted a penalty drop but the 2 club lengths would have then been a drop towards the more favourable side of the path, then nearest point of relief then 1 club length could have left him playing 3 to the green (Par 3) in a decent position. We'll know better next time (but he still might not listen to me)!!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
May I ask a question? In relation to the OP. If the path was very narrow. Lets say 3' wide. Now the ball is just off the path on the rough/bush side. Your stance is on the path. But because the path is narrow your feet are nearer the fairway side. Do you take the nearest point of relief from the position of the ball which is not on the path(so not on the point of relief). Or from where your feet are which are on the path. Bearing in mind if drop from the ball position, you would be in the rough. Or if you drop from feet position. The ball would then be dropped on the fairway?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
May I ask a question? In relation to the OP. If the path was very narrow. Lets say 3' wide. Now the ball is just off the path on the rough/bush side. Your stance is on the path. But because the path is narrow your feet are nearer the fairway side. Do you take the nearest point of relief from the position of the ball which is not on the path(so not on the point of relief). Or from where your feet are which are on the path. Bearing in mind if drop from the ball position, you would be in the rough. Or if you drop from feet position. The ball would then be dropped on the fairway?

I guess as the relief is the nearest point at which the IO isn't impeding then it is likely to still be towards the bush as feet and ball need to be clear...I guess on a very narrow path it's possible it might be on the side your feet are on but less likely?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess as the relief is the nearest point at which the IO isn't impeding then it is likely to still be towards the bush as feet and ball need to be clear...I guess on a very narrow path it's possible it might be on the side your feet are on but less likely?

As I said in post #2, it's certainly worth a measure if the path is narrow. The following link takes you to diagrams for finding NPR for left and right handed players:

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-25/#25-1b/2