Foursomes matchplay shots

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought that foursomes matchplay was half the difference between the combined handicaps but the IG app appears to be showing me 50% of half of the combined - wordy I know so examples are better.

Team AB have a combined course handicap of 21
Team CD are 24

Half the difference is 1.5 therefore 2 shots.

--------------------

IG app says team CD get 1 shot -

Team AB playing handicap is 11
CD playing handicap is 12. Difference is 1.

Which is correct, 1 or 2 shots? Am I supposed to use 95% of course handicap?

Thanks

EDITED: removed option 1 and 2 to avoid confusion with 1 and 2 shots

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Allowance is always the full difference from the lowest Playing Handicap. In your example, IG is correct - 1 stroke.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
1 is correct.

You first need to work out the allowance per team....and the allowance is 50% of the combined handicaps.

So team A get 21/2 = 10.5 = 11 strokes. By the same calculation team B get 12 strokes. The difference between the two teams is 1.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When people are saying 1 is correct or 2 is correct, are they saying example 1 is correct which is 2 shots, or example 2 is correct which is 1 shot?

Very Confusing :)

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
When people are saying 1 is correct or 2 is correct, are they saying example 1 is correct which is 2 shots, or example 2 is correct which is 1 shot?

Very Confusing :)

Yes I should have thought about the order a little more

Thanks for confirming for me. I think Countlippe probably agrees and his 2 referred to option 2, 1 shot

CountLippe

Visit site
Correct. Half the difference was the old way.

For pairs matchplay formats, you work out the playing handicap, then the difference = number of shots. Under the old way you took the difference first and did the 50%/90% off that.