Fourball Rules

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Quick question - when it comes to teeing off in a fourball matchplay has anyone ever heard of teams teeing off first at alternate holes ( like they do at foursomes ) - so clown elsewhere has suggested it's some gentlemans rule as discussed by Faldo in his bio ?!

It's always been the same person tees off first ( within the team ) at each throughout the round whenever I have played or watched.

Can anyone else confirm or back up this "gentlemans rule" ?!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no Rule covering which partner plays first off the tee 4 ball matchplay, only in foursomes. In 4BBB it is entirely up to a side which partner plays first. The convention I'm used to is that I will play first on the outward half and my partner on the inward or vice versa, but that is no more than a convention. We could do it on odd numbers and even numbers, whoever is ready to play first, whatever.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At mine, most players have a regular 4BBB partner, and with mine of 14years, I have always teed off first.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think 4BBB is a great game, it can be very tactical, even to the choice of which partner tees off first on a particular hole.

It also has the advantage over foursomes and greensomes in that you're individually playing more shots compared to every other shot.

It will allow a poor player to hide behind a good player but two good players will usually beat a good and a poor player.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
low handicapper first
high handicapper first
agreed player first (based on colour of hat possibly)
who ever's ready first
front 9/back 9
alternate
etc

whatever you, as gentlemen obviously, decide - or just do :cheers:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
4BBB a brief description.
Player A&B vs C&D playing scratch

Player A scores 62 on the front 9 and player B scores 55
Player C scores 27 on the front 9 player D 27 as well.

Match is all square
Daft but could happen.

Player A has 5 10s and player B has 4 10's
All the other holes the four players take 3

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said, there aren't any rules I am aware of. When I play I will usually go first as the partner I play with is very consistent off the tee. It means I can "go for it". All that being said, if he is ready and I'm not he will often step up!