Formula 1 query

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Ferrari have said they will not be on the grid next year because of the cost capping issue. Now we'll see if Max Molsley and the FIA have any balls ;)

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The new F1 cars are quick. Though because of the regulatios, they are now able to follow each other more closely. This has actualy resulted in quite a lot more overtaking catapult like moves into & out of bends & sequences of bends. Drivers now seeming to find more than one line through a corner or set of corners.

I really don't see a one engine format would actually be that much more exciting or one design of bodyshell would either. I've seen bits of some A1 races & actually onces sat through the complete set of sprints & races, in its format. TBQH, give me F1 any day over A1 The longer race format of F1 with its different cars, reliabilities, stengths & weeknesses of a package actually make things more interesting.

I'm really not convinced that Curs is helping overtaking. It seems to help a weak package defend a position, but rarely has allowed a car with curs to actually sprint through.

With the threat of Ferrari pulling out by next season I cannot see this as being a goodmove for the sport.

If I had my way I'd have the sport take a backward leap forwards to the type of excitement the sport had in the 60's & 70's. But that's just me.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I have to disagree with you there fella, I dont think the new regulations have improved overtaking at all.

Take Sundays race, Vettel was stuck behind Massa for the entire race yet could not pass him, and the Red Bull is not a slow car. Massa's KERS system was not working properly so it was engine vs engine....Vettel was, at one point, less than 0.5 secs per lap behind for approx 5 or so laps and still could not get passed.

I think KERS is pretty good tbh, but the only team who have theirs working properly is McLaren, who also have the fastest straight line speed without KERS anyway and KERS cant be deployed going round corners so its wasted on their cars!! Ferrari's keeps breaking down, Renaults is only kicking out half the power it is intended to and Kubica is too big to have it in his car for BMW!!

Once all the teams have it working properly i think it will be a good thing, and lets not forget its true potential is a rig that kicks out well over an additional 300bhp instead of the current 80bhp it allows now.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly in Spain overtaking wasn't way it could have been, but the cars are certainly now getting closer & in other races this season & occasionally in spain it did make for a much more exiting visual event with a lot more tooing & froing than last season. More overtaking in some of the other races, spectacular almost 80's style overtaking.

The Masa scrap was quite exiting if a little infuriating after a while. One thing I did think has made for a bit more exitement is the fuel issue for Masa, meaning fuel tactics this season could well play a more imprtant roll. It had echo's of Mansell way back when, when he ran out of juice.

Thing is no matter what, if a driver has the ability to make the car as wide as possible to use the sporting vernacular, through his ability to defend, then even with several racing lines into a bend, then overtaking will always be hard.

So I think on these points we'll have to agree to disagree this time.

However on the 300bhp potential, I might be with you on that one, assuming everyone doesn't hit the Kers at exactly the same points. Now this could potentially improve things further, but I'll be convinced when I see it really cut in to make things exciting. As I said, the kers has helped with excitement if not currently overtaking.

So I'll agree that its a watch this space situation.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
One thing I did think has made for a bit more exitement is the fuel issue for Masa, meaning fuel tactics this season could well play a more imprtant roll.

There wont be much more of that happening either as re-fueling is being banned for next season and cars will be starting the race with enough fuel to see them to the end :D

This is a cracking move IMHO as too much emphasis is put on tactics & pit strategies to gain track positions.

The banning of re-fueling means that pit stops are going to be for tyres only, meaning that drivers are going to have to overtake for real and not because they managed a pitstop 2 secs quicker than the guy who was in front of them on the track!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
this season has been the best season in formula1 since the likes of mikka hakkinen left. also the last race of last season was the best race for a long time until glock let hamilton through!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I did think has made for a bit more exitement is the fuel issue for Masa, meaning fuel tactics this season could well play a more imprtant roll.

There wont be much more of that happening either as re-fueling is being banned for next season and cars will be starting the race with enough fuel to see them to the end :D

This is a cracking move IMHO as too much emphasis is put on tactics & pit strategies to gain track positions.

The banning of re-fueling means that pit stops are going to be for tyres only, meaning that drivers are going to have to overtake for real and not because they managed a pitstop 2 secs quicker than the guy who was in front of them on the track!

But of course this also has its tactics in that if they have a tank of fuel that needs to take them to the end of the race they need to make sure that this lasts them till the end of the race also.

Hence also why I used the Masa Mansall example. As quite frankly I've never really been a fan of the re-fueling issue, but have actually found it strangly compelling this year, even though I'd prefer it as you say it'll likely be next year. Something I'vealluded to in other F1 threads.