Foresomes matchplay

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Morning chaps,

I've got my first ever foresomes matchplay game tonight, me and my partner will be giving away approx 6 or 7 shots.

I just wondered if any of you had any tips / tactics you could recommend and what you think of this format of play?

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Its a great format, I like it a lot.

When I played the other day with a guy from the club, we decided that if the circumstance was right, one of us would go for the 'go for it' shot, whilst the other would play it a little safer. It worked out well for us as we won the game.

Have fun.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
not played this format (yet) so this may be a daft question. Can you choose which of you plays first off a tee or does it follow normal rules that the lower scorer on the previous hole plays first.

however it's done it seems that the first off the tee has the responsibility to 'get one in safe' leaving the other free to 'express himself'.

Happy_Gilmore

Club Champion
Visit site
I think you may be getting mixed up with Fourball mate?

Foursomes format is where a team of 2 play alternate shots. Usually one fella tees off on the odd numbered holes and the other the even numbered holes. If I tee'd up on one, hit my drive, my partner would then play the second shot, I'd play the third and so on until the ball hit the bottom of the cup....

I've a Greensomes match tomorrow morning which complicates the matter further where we both tee off, select the best tee shot and play alternate shots from there on in.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you're confusing foursomes with fourball. In foursomes, you only play alternate shots with one ball between two people, so there's no opportunity for one person to "go for it" if the other hits a safe shot. That's a fourball tactic. If anything, foursomes generally calls for both players to play safe and keep the ball in play.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Very important who tees off where. I would say go through each hole and decide long before the off how you could get the best from each other strengths and weaknesses. It’s important, to me anyway, who tees off at the first and thereafter throughout the course. Example….. if you draw the ball and your partner fades it then you want to get the maximum from that situation on as many holes as possible. Are you better with your short irons, would you be better teeing off at the sorter holes? Do you hit a low ball? If so would you be better playing the tee shots, if possible, into the wind? Is there some holes you have trouble at and would your partner be better off taking the tee shot.

It’s alternate shots as far as the tee shots are concerned, but if you go through the card, you could get a big advantage if you work the course out before hand.

Always encourage each other, even when it goes wrong. Don't go over the top with any celebrations of good shots as it’s never over until it’s over.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes - foresomes is where you tee off on alternate holes.

We've decided now who's off when - I'm doing even as some of the wider fairways are on them also I can get my (significantly shorter hitting) partner near some greens for short irons whereas he can be very steady, but short off the tee.

For course management purposes he's also getting to tee off on the most par 5s.
This is because even off my longer drives he still can't hit fairway woods far enough to reach the greens in two. As such if he goes first I can decide if I can get there or if not lay up and let him have a crack at getting one of his deadly irons in close.

This is because my game is entirely based on length and his accuracy. I'll often play driver wedge, whereas he'll play driver 5 iron just as close.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Its a great format, I like it a lot.

When I played the other day with a guy from the club, we decided that if the circumstance was right, one of us would go for the 'go for it' shot, whilst the other would play it a little safer. It worked out well for us as we won the game.

Have fun.

Whoops misread the title........ :eek: ;)