FootJoy XPS-1

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with these..... Ill be buying shoes soon and have come across these on Sports Direct for the nice sum of 84 euro.... Now thier retail price when they first appeared on the scene was well in excess of 200 euro.....

Why so cheap?
Are they no what they are cracked up and advertised to be?
How heavy are they?
And are they Comfy (My main concern)...

I find it a bit odd that a shoe that was once commanding that kind of price can now be had so cheap when compared to other shoes of the same caliber... Would they be a wise buy... As im buying them over the Net im kind of backed into a corner not being able to see them in the flesh or try them on... Iv not seen them in any golf shops locally either... I guess the retail price when they first apperaed on the scene was out of reach for most average joes....

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with these..... Ill be buying shoes soon and have come across these on Sports Direct for the nice sum of 84 euro.... Now thier retail price when they first appeared on the scene was well in excess of 200 euro.....

Why so cheap?
Are they no what they are cracked up and advertised to be?
How heavy are they?
And are they Comfy (My main concern)...

I find it a bit odd that a shoe that was once commanding that kind of price can now be had so cheap when compared to other shoes of the same caliber... Would they be a wise buy... As im buying them over the Net im kind of backed into a corner not being able to see them in the flesh or try them on... Iv not seen them in any golf shops locally either... I guess the retail price when they first apperaed on the scene was out of reach for most average joes....

Ive had mine for around 18mths and find them fine. I have a reasonably broad foot and don't have any issue with them although I can understand what others are saying. Depending on the shape of your foot the supports around the outside of the shoe could potentially irritate your toes. The shoes are very very stable and this may help some people when swinging. Hope that helps a bit.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not wanting to sound like a stuck record but I've made a few comments about these recently.

I've always liked the look of these but at £195 was never going to invest! Then down to £150 still no chance.

My driving range is part of sports direct and so had a sale on in January for £80. Bargain snatched a pair straight away.

Now I'm usually an 11 in golf shoes but a 10.5 fitted perfectly, prob the first shoes ever. They are a tad on the heavy side compared to my lunars. The stability on them though was impressive and has helped limit the foot roll on left side! After the first round they had pinched the little toe slightly where the leather creased but nothing major but did take the round to break them in. Plus I had tightened them up a tad too much and had dug in on the tongue section on the top of my foot. Overal though I did think they were a good comfortable shoe but not quite as comfy as my out going lunars.

The third round I wore them the ground was a bit wet as it had rained quite a bit in the week but had been dry the day before and when playing. 3 quarters of the way round I thought my feet were wet but discounted it as they were new shoes. After when I took them off I was right. All round the ball of my foot and toes my socks were wet! Took them back that afternoon and the shop swapped them with no quibbles as they could feel how wet they were still. Great.

Next round new shoes but of morning dew nothing of any significance. Still had a a couple of damp spots! Not impressed. I'm going to give them another couple of rounds to make sure but a pair if shoes that leaks like this is not acceptable in my opinion especially as they were a flagship offering a year ago. Ive since tweeted footjoy who responded straight away to say they'll gladly exchange again and would like to inspect them themselves.

I've got a horrible feeling that sports direct have bought a whole dodgy batch or something but wouldn't want to slander anyone!!

On the price though yes they were £195 but they are a couple of years old now so not surprising they have fell in price especially with the DNA's now launched. If you get a pair a really hope they work out for you. If you can find a stockist local to try on I'd recommend. It just seems like the sealant from sole to upper just isn't working, to many round edges etc that meet the sole or something. If you can see a pair in the flesh you will see what I mean.

Really gutted mine haven't worked out as they are a great looking shoes. If this pair doesn't work out I think I'll go for a pair if the lunars II's. same price and was very impressed with my last pair.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
They come up a bit narrow, in my view.

Definitely something i dont want Murph..... I have a widish foot.... I currently use Adidas Tour 360 ATV's and even these from day one always seemed to squash my feet... Even now they are 15 months old and though they look ok my feet dont feel the best after a round in them.....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not wanting to sound like a stuck record but I've made a few comments about these recently.

I've always liked the look of these but at £195 was never going to invest! Then down to £150 still no chance.

My driving range is part of sports direct and so had a sale on in January for £80. Bargain snatched a pair straight away.

Now I'm usually an 11 in golf shoes but a 10.5 fitted perfectly, prob the first shoes ever. They are a tad on the heavy side compared to my lunars. The stability on them though was impressive and has helped limit the foot roll on left side! After the first round they had pinched the little toe slightly where the leather creased but nothing major but did take the round to break them in. Plus I had tightened them up a tad too much and had dug in on the tongue section on the top of my foot. Overal though I did think they were a good comfortable shoe but not quite as comfy as my out going lunars.

The third round I wore them the ground was a bit wet as it had rained quite a bit in the week but had been dry the day before and when playing. 3 quarters of the way round I thought my feet were wet but discounted it as they were new shoes. After when I took them off I was right. All round the ball of my foot and toes my socks were wet! Took them back that afternoon and the shop swapped them with no quibbles as they could feel how wet they were still. Great.

Next round new shoes but of morning dew nothing of any significance. Still had a a couple of damp spots! Not impressed. I'm going to give them another couple of rounds to make sure but a pair if shoes that leaks like this is not acceptable in my opinion especially as they were a flagship offering a year ago. Ive since tweeted footjoy who responded straight away to say they'll gladly exchange again and would like to inspect them themselves.

I've got a horrible feeling that sports direct have bought a whole dodgy batch or something but wouldn't want to slander anyone!!

On the price though yes they were £195 but they are a couple of years old now so not surprising they have fell in price especially with the DNA's now launched. If you get a pair a really hope they work out for you. If you can find a stockist local to try on I'd recommend. It just seems like the sealant from sole to upper just isn't working, to many round edges etc that meet the sole or something. If you can see a pair in the flesh you will see what I mean.

Really gutted mine haven't worked out as they are a great looking shoes. If this pair doesn't work out I think I'll go for a pair if the lunars II's. same price and was very impressed with my last pair.

Top Man... Cheers Pal.... thanks for the heads up...:thup:

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
No problem, love the shoes just not the wet feet! Like we've all said before one person has massive problems and another doesn't. Worth a punt always got the guarantee to fall back on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I won a pair of these as i prize in a comp. I wore them in and were quite compfy, though like all FJ shoes ive had were not very waterproof. used them for a couple of months (only on dry days) no problem. Using the spike blower after a rond could feel the air getting in the shoe. They had a massive split across the exposed sole. Took them back to the the pro shop of the club i won them at and got a full refund, got a pair of Ecco top of the range in yak leather for the same cost.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got a freebie pair courtesy of GM/FJ but if I'm honest it wasn't a model I'd have rushed out to buy. Find them a bit heavy, even compared to Icons and nowhere near as comfy. My feet get a little damp, but that is more the water entering at the top where the laces are if I go through any sort of semi/heavy rough. They are very stable as you swing but I think there are many better pairs of shoes from any number of manufacturers out there

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to win a pair through GM and if I'm honest, they aren't a shoe I would buy. They are comfortable enough and I have never had a waterproofing issue (although they are white and I only tend to wear white shoes in summer). They are pretty heavy as golf shoes go. The first pair split across the sole and were replaced. The second pair have started to go the same way. These were the original model though so they may have fixed that issue by now.

I love footjoy shoes but I would look at other models ahead of these.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems like theres a 50/50 spilt on them...... I suppose at 50 quid they wont break the bank...... I hate having to break shoes in though... The only brand i never have to do this for some reason are Nike.... Straight from the box they feel like if worn them for ages...

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a quick uptake as my second pair after 3 rounds are leaking!! Closer inspection shows the sole and leather are separating right were my little toe is on the right and the ball of my left! Christ my lunars lasted 14 months before this happened. Taking them back this afternoon but think I'm done with footjoys, should have stuck with the Nikes like I was going to!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must be Homer! My first pair of golf shoes were a pair of Sierra trek and lasted 5 years before they gave in. They were never looked after and rarely cleaned. I just don't think the quality is there anymore. Technology yes, build quality no.

C

c1973

Am I the only one who's not having problems with FJ's even my old ones?

Nope, mine are absolutely fine too. They keep out the water and are exceptionally comfy, mind you it hasn't stopped me eyeing up a pair of Ecco for the summer.