FootJoy AMA

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why don't you offer the same colour schemes in both BOA and laces? Quite a few times I have seen a model in colour I like, to find it is only available in the laced versions. I usually find the BOA colours a bit bland.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Hi. The BOA lacing system has been added to Pro|SL Carbon - these were launched at the beginning of June. Available on our website and a few other online retailers but you won’t find many in pro shops. Next year we’ve got 3 or 4 new models that utilise BOA in different ways but you’ll have to wait for more details on that!

Ok so I now have boa carbon sl's on order, not much stock around!! Follow up question. When is "next year" going to appear in my inbox?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Did FJ consider working with Justin Thomas once he was dropped by Ralph Lauren, seeing as he already wears FJ shoes & gloves? If not, what considerations stopped you?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like I said in a previous comment there’s a bit of a difference between fit and feel - that’s why it’s so important to go through that fitting process to try on different models. For a firmer shoe like DryJoys Tour some people will prefer a certain type of fit and feel. The mesh shoes like Flex and HyperFlex have a completely different feel and although they are the exact same size, some people will go down half a size to get the feel they are looking for. All our size 9s are the same size but some may feel bigger/smaller depending on the construction and the materials. Hope this makes sense.

Ah right, cool. I see. So when I put my foot in the size 9 Hyperflex it only "felt" like my foot was slipping back and forth with about 10mm movement. Gotcha. And the Size 8 Hyperflex insole measurement being 27.5cm (approx) and the size 9 Dryjoy Tour insole measuring 27.5cm (approx) means that my Hyperflex are really a 9. Or my Dryjoy Tours are really an 8?

Thanks for clarifying.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good afternoon, over the past couple of years there have been various posts on the forum from members questioning the waterproof quality of various footjoy shoes compared to years past. Has the build or material quality not been as good in The last few years. Thanks

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
Do you find it weird that a brand called Foot Joy became the market leader for gloves, and did you ever consider rebranding them as HandJoy before rejecting it as it sounds rude?
I’m pretty sure HandJoy was never considered an option as a name for our glove franchise. Our company was founded as a shoe business so the name is a reminder of that.

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
Good afternoon, over the past couple of years there have been various posts on the forum from members questioning the waterproof quality of various footjoy shoes compared to years past. Has the build or material quality not been as good in The last few years. Thanks
The standard of materials and technology has never been higher. Our shoes have waterproof guarantees and we’re always happy to take a look if a golfer thinks they are leaking. I’m going to be very careful not to sound patronising here but a lot of people think their shoes are leaking after they walk through shin-high wet grass. The leather or mesh upper of the golf shoe will be waterproof but there’s still a hole where your foot goes in and we can’t stop water getting in through there. But we do take all returns on waterproofing grounds very seriously and will replace the shoes if they don’t meet the right standards.

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
Ah right, cool. I see. So when I put my foot in the size 9 Hyperflex it only "felt" like my foot was slipping back and forth with about 10mm movement. Gotcha. And the Size 8 Hyperflex insole measurement being 27.5cm (approx) and the size 9 Dryjoy Tour insole measuring 27.5cm (approx) means that my Hyperflex are really a 9. Or my Dryjoy Tours are really an 8?

Thanks for clarifying.
The point I was making was that if a shoe feels too big then try half a size down when going through the fitting process. We understand this causes golfers a bit of an inconvenience but the reality is that you might need a different size across different models to get the desired feel and fit. We offer free returns on the website so people can order a couple of sizes and send back the one which they don’t need.

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
Why don't you offer the same colour schemes in both BOA and laces? Quite a few times I have seen a model in colour I like, to find it is only available in the laced versions. I usually find the BOA colours a bit bland.
Traditionally this has been a bit of a demand/supply issue as we would only sell a very small fraction of shoes with BOA compared to laces so therefore only offer one colour option in BOA. Yes it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation as maybe we’d sell more BOA if we offered it across more styles. However, the introduction of HyperFlex BOA has proved there is a lot of appetite for it so you can expect to see more BOA offerings in the future. In the meantime BOA is available in Premiere Series through MyJoys so you can design something yourself that’s a little less bland!

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
Talking of Boa....never had a pair with it..
Is it efficient/reliable?
BOA comes with a lifetime guarantee so very reliable and robust. It’s not for everyone but definitely worth giving it a try. There’s quite a lot of people who went to BOA and never looked back.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Talking of Boa....never had a pair with it..
Is it efficient/reliable?

My views...

+ves

1. Its easier to get a comfortable tension.
2. Its faster to adjust than laces.
3. Its easier to get the same tension on both feet
4. It never works loose. It does need a couple of clicks after about 10 mins of having your shoes on, but this just sorts out the loss of fit caused by your feet settling into the shoes.
5. The experts say there are performance benefits.
6. In at least 8 pairs I've never had a pair fail. I normally get 2-3 seasons out of a shoe before the leather is knackered/Im bored of it.

-ves
1. Its £20 move expensive
2. Its harder to keep your shoes clean, the cables create lines that are a nightmare to clean depending where you are on the OCD scale
3. A few years ago alot of hill walker/runner types got all hot and bothered about intricate lacing patterns. You cant do any of those...
4. The system only really works well if your shoes are a good fit
5. Any dark memories of bullies at school calling you the "velco shoe kid" are likely to resurface.

I highly recommend, and am firmly in the 'never look back brigade'.

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
My views...

+ves

1. Its easier to get a comfortable tension.
2. Its faster to adjust than laces.
3. Its easier to get the same tension on both feet
4. It never works loose. It does need a couple of clicks after about 10 mins of having your shoes on, but this just sorts out the loss of fit caused by your feet settling into the shoes.
5. The experts say there are performance benefits.
6. In at least 8 pairs I've never had a pair fail. I normally get 2-3 seasons out of a shoe before the leather is knackered/Im bored of it.

-ves
1. Its £20 move expensive
2. Its harder to keep your shoes clean, the cables create lines that are a nightmare to clean depending where you are on the OCD scale
3. A few years ago alot of hill walker/runner types got all hot and bothered about intricate lacing patterns. You cant do any of those...
4. The system only really works well if your shoes are a good fit
5. Any dark memories of bullies at school calling you the "velco shoe kid" are likely to resurface.

I highly recommend, and am firmly in the 'never look back brigade'.
One thing I would add is the comfort benefit - particularly on the HyperFlex BOA shoe where all pressure points are alleviated from the top of the foot. The BOA system pulls the whole upper of the shoe around your foot rather than it just been tightened at the top. We believe there are some genuine performance benefits too - if you can get that fit really dialled in then you won’t suffer from any potential power loss in the swing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The point I was making was that if a shoe feels too big then try half a size down when going through the fitting process. We understand this causes golfers a bit of an inconvenience but the reality is that you might need a different size across different models to get the desired feel and fit. We offer free returns on the website so people can order a couple of sizes and send back the one which they don’t need.

The point you are making kinda re-enforces the point I was making. A golfer shouldn't have to go down a half size if the actual size is different. Just make them the same. I have two shoes measuring the same insole length but are different "sizes" that make zero sense from either a consistent manufacturing or customer experience point of view. And speaking of customer experience, I appreciate that you will allow customers to return shoes that don't fit. However, that behaviour is not as special as you probably think it is, most companies will allow customers to send back shoes that don't fit.

But, again thinking customer experience, if I already have FJ shoes in a 9 and I know I'm a 9 (because I've been measured) why should I need to order multiple pairs just in case and pay £300 for £150 shoes (or even more if I need more than two attempts) upfront just to find out if a 9 is actually a 9?

I design CX journeys for large organisations for a living and if I took that as an operating model to my stakeholders they would send me for drug testing pretty much straight away.

As I said. I like FJ shoes and will always revert to them but the variable sizing bit just drives me nuts. Your own FJ Forum is full of people asking if shoes are "true to size".

JamesSavageFJ

Visit site
The point you are making kinda re-enforces the point I was making. A golfer shouldn't have to go down a half size if the actual size is different. Just make them the same. I have two shoes measuring the same insole length but are different "sizes" that make zero sense from either a consistent manufacturing or customer experience point of view. And speaking of customer experience, I appreciate that you will allow customers to return shoes that don't fit. However, that behaviour is not as special as you probably think it is, most companies will allow customers to send back shoes that don't fit.

But, again thinking customer experience, if I already have FJ shoes in a 9 and I know I'm a 9 (because I've been measured) why should I need to order multiple pairs just in case and pay £300 for £150 shoes (or even more if I need more than two attempts) upfront just to find out if a 9 is actually a 9?

I design CX journeys for large organisations for a living and if I took that as an operating model to my stakeholders they would send me for drug testing pretty much straight away.

As I said. I like FJ shoes and will always revert to them but the variable sizing bit just drives me nuts. Your own FJ Forum is full of people asking if shoes are "true to size".
We appreciate the comments. I will feed this back directly to the footwear team. We value that consumer journey very highly and will do everything we can to improve it. Getting involved in these exchanges with golfers is only going to help us improve wherever we can. The least we can do is give better information if a particular model may have a different feel/fit. Thanks again.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry Bigfoot, MyJoys is your only option for that size. Are there any other brands offering a Euro 50 as a stock option? (Sorry I know I'm not supposed to be asking the questions)

Not that I know of, so I always have MyJoys.
I buy Ecco shoes for normal everyday use and they are perfect every time, so, I emailed them about golf shoes in my size but they don't do them at all.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Hi James, I’m a tall golfer (6”5) and struggle to find any trousers that fit me on the golf market, even more so golf waterproof trousers.

I own the Hydroknit jumper which I must add is fantastic, great water repellency, comfortable and quiet through the swing.

Does FJ have any plans to accommodate us beanpoles of the game? As finding a 36 leg length trouser is nigh on impossible in golf gear.