Football logo polo shirts

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’m just trying to clarify your understand of football shirts and thug behaviour - it’s quite a leap to suggest that clubs ban football shirts because of “thug” behaviour which is what you have suggested. I think it’s complete and utter nonsense and as far from golf clubs in the UK you can get - you have been challenged in regards why other sports tops are also not allowed ( couldn’t answer ) , you were also challenged about other football items not being banned ( couldn’t answer )

So the only conclusion I can get is you have this belief that when someone sees someone else in a rival team shirt they suddenly go mental and want to slap them ( which is something you have suggested )

I have played at members clubs and the reason behind the football shirts not allowed is down to appearance , played at pay and play where I have seen people wearing football shirts and strangely enough they weren’t slapping each other about. Maybe it’s yourself that has seen only one reason ( the thug element ) and can’t see past but then dress codes have been around years and it’s always done on appearance and practical elements.

It was you that said it was the “obvious” reason to ban football shirts - to stop people antagonising people - so either you have a low opinion of people who play golf in the UK or you are judging football fans who play to not have the self control to not “slap” people.

But I guess that’s just my “MO” ( even though others have said the same thing to you )

I read slabs op that he thought clubs would consider banning it due to their (the clubs) belief that football fans were thugs. Not slab himself.

Imo that's not a stretch for the original reason for banning it. Let's be honest with lots of golf's old school rules, I'm sure football fans weren't exactly the clientele they wanted when golf was booming and the rich man's sport.

For me the default dress code most clubs put up these days aren't really followed through with now.

Re the op, I think in the past when dress codes were fully adhered to it would have been refused due to it being football related, but since these have been relaxed the shirt as well as other football items being seen, show that it would no longer be an issue.

D

Deleted member 15344

I read slabs op that he thought clubs would consider banning it due to their (the clubs) belief that football fans were thugs. Not slab himself.

Imo that's not a stretch for the original reason for banning it. Let's be honest with lots of golf's old school rules, I'm sure football fans weren't exactly the clientele they wanted when golf was booming and the rich man's sport.

For me the default dress code most clubs put up these days aren't really followed through with now.

Re the op, I think in the past when dress codes were fully adhered to it would have been refused due to it being football related, but since these have been relaxed the shirt as well as other football items being seen, show that it would no longer be an issue.

Football shirts have really only been popular as general wear as such over the last 20 years - before that it was either at a match or playing football themselves. Golf clubs in the boom wanted their clientele to wear golf clothing - not football or rugby , cricket or indeed any other sport hence why all sports tops were deemed not acceptable and not just football tops - you can now get these F1 polo shirts covered in logos - most clubs will say they are unacceptable. It maybe “snobbish “ but the idea that it’s because people can’t control themselves from slapping others for me is ludicrous- as been mentioned clubs up and down the land have people will football head covers etc and people aren’t being slapped for it - rival football fans all over the country play together and don’t get slapped for it. Clubs will stop people from wearing football tops because of snobbish standards possible but to stop people from going at each other ? Sorry but I think that’s nonsense

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Football shirts have really only been popular as general wear as such over the last 20 years - before that it was either at a match or playing football themselves. Golf clubs in the boom wanted their clientele to wear golf clothing - not football or rugby , cricket or indeed any other sport hence why all sports tops were deemed not acceptable and not just football tops - you can now get these F1 polo shirts covered in logos - most clubs will say they are unacceptable. It maybe “snobbish “ but the idea that it’s because people can’t control themselves from slapping others for me is ludicrous- as been mentioned clubs up and down the land have people will football head covers etc and people aren’t being slapped for it - rival football fans all over the country play together and don’t get slapped for it. Clubs will stop people from wearing football tops because of snobbish standards possible but to stop people from going at each other ? Sorry but I think that’s nonsense

Bang on.

It would be unacceptable attire if it had a sponsors logo slapped across the front, but otherwise at no different to a whole host of other golf shirts sporting a crest or logo.

The argument that it might fuel unsavoury behaviour because it’s football related is barking mad. Anyone who is that much of a lunatic to go round starting fights over football will do it regardless of whether someone is wearing a golf shirt sporting a football club crest or not.

It’s the people in the shirts that cause fights, not the shirts.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I accepted that Nowadays yes it’s naive to think clubs believe fans want to tear strips out of each other.

But I think that the idea that golf clubs didn’t want football fans on the course some time ago is a valid one. Do you think they’d have accepted club merchandise back in the 80’s? I don’t. And for me that is probably where the rule originates. Because back then fans of rivals were a lot more happy to kick off at one another in public.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
same question Homie has ignored, do they ban the team based headcovers, or bags with team emblem on etc or just a polo shirt?
Well You don’t take your bag or headcovers in the clubhouse.

My question would be “ with all the nice golf shirts around why would you want to”
Your going to play golf not the match.

D

Deleted member 16999

Well You don’t take your bag or headcovers in the clubhouse.

My question would be “ with all the nice golf shirts around why would you want to”
Your going to play golf not the match.
2 of these are “nice golf shirts” what’s wrong or different to the other 2? All materials are the same etc.
8DE7BC2A-8429-4614-A440-519A35490540.jpeg

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be a backward club that doesn't allow it. Of which there are plenty . It's just a polo shirt, I see some damn awful ones being worn.
That's not a football shirt.
^^^^ Fully agree... if you're in such a back-ward thinking Club, make moves to do something about it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 of these are “nice golf shirts” what’s wrong or different to the other 2? All materials are the same etc.
View attachment 27489
Completely agree they are fine imo.
I asked why would you want to.
Some people love their club so much they like wearing logos of the team that’s fine.
I would not but that’s my choice.

But my point was if there are any morons who want to fight it will be in the clubhouse when they have had a few.
My club is mainly made of Rugby fans so football is not important to them , but they wear identical ones with St Helens on .
There’s never been a problem .

D

Deleted member 16999

Completely agree they are fine imo.
I asked why would you want to.
Some people love their club so much they like wearing logos of the team that’s fine.
I would not but that’s my choice.

But my point was if there are any morons who want to fight it will be in the clubhouse when they have had a few.
My club is mainly made of Rugby fans so football is not important to them , but they wear identical ones with St Helens on .
There’s never been a problem .
If there’s morons wanting to fight, it’s because they are morons, not because someone has a Polo with a badge on it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
same question Homie has ignored, do they ban the team based headcovers, or bags with team emblem on etc or just a polo shirt?
Not ignoring the question. You simply seem to want to argue. No they don't ban team headcovers but they are a world away from what is covered under dress code. Equipment is a different matter and arguably not as visible and prominent in a players bag

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There’s something odd about grown adults wearing football shirts for anything other than going to a match or playing football. Wearing a “club” polo shirt isn’t much better, with club-branded headcovers, markers etc also being in the same ballpark.
And anyone who doesn’t appreciate the potential for “club colours” to cause a rammy in the bar after a round must have led a very sheltered life.

D

Deleted member 16999

There’s something odd about grown adults wearing football shirts for anything other than going to a match or playing football. Wearing a “club” polo shirt isn’t much better, with club-branded headcovers, markers etc also being in the same ballpark.
And anyone who doesn’t appreciate the potential for “club colours” to cause a rammy in the bar after a round must have led a very sheltered life.
All Golf clubs have a code of conduct, wearing a “top” with a football badge on doesn’t turn someone into a thug or anyone looking at them.
I live the NE, strong Sunderland area with many season ticket holders and even a few employees of the Club, we have 2 Scousers, 1 brummie, a couple of jocks and then guys who support all sorts of other teams, ie Everton, Villa, LPool, St Mirren, Man Utd, Spurs etc and shockingly Newcastle fans, in 15 years I’ve never seen one punch thrown due to any of them wearing a top with a club logo on.
I think the ones who lead a sheltered life are those not living in the real world.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not ignoring the question. You simply seem to want to argue. No they don't ban team headcovers but they are a world away from what is covered under dress code. Equipment is a different matter and arguably not as visible and prominent in a players bag

Didnt realise questioning your posts was "simply seeming to want to argue". Still adds another to your post count :) crack on

D

Deleted member 15344

The swindles I play in are full of football fans - Spurs , Arsenal and Chelsea mainly being close to London - never come to a “rammy” in the bar - there was nearly an argument over the Wimbledon tennis final once

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The swindles I play in are full of football fans - Spurs , Arsenal and Chelsea mainly being close to London - never come to a “rammy” in the bar - there was nearly an argument over the Wimbledon tennis final once

oh come on, i bet theres as many liverpool fans as an any other club (if its anything like AVGC anyway!) :D