Football and covid

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate, you are not living in the real world, rich people will only be able to buy it in 2 ways, Black Market (immoral, disgusting, agree with you).

The manafacturer makes it available to private companies or individuals.

If a company has orders for 500 million doses for Countries around the World at £3.00 and then produces 1 million more at £300.00 to sell on the private market, then the moral dilemma is on the manafacturer, not the purchaser, lets remember these manafacturers probably need to sell their products on the open market to keep their shareholders happy and fund other research etc.

While I agree with you, I'm sure that I've read that the Oxford vaccine is going to be made available at cost price to anyone that needs it. If it then turned out that the PL had some how acquired several hundred/thousand doses of the vaccine while there were countries still waiting for doses to vaccinate their populations then there would be an inevitable outcry.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
What if the PL bought their 10000 (or whatever) doses needed to vaccinate the whole league then as part of that 'contract' as an 'act of goodwill' they were forced to buy 1m vaccines at a cost of £3m to be used by the population? Would that be more palatable?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure the league and owners, probably across Europe, are already discussing this. Don't forget teams have been buying testing kits on mass for months now. Did they wait until everyone else could get a test before that began?

How many companies will be looking to buy vaccines for their employees to get their businesses back on track? Is this any different? It's a multi billion pound industry, of course they will look to protect it.

I think the post by @HowlingGale is a really interesting one. That may be the way for the PR teams to get this through. The question for me is at what point they dare to do it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I find interesting is apparently the clubs have had “ secret” meetings about having a 2 week break, but the premier league have said carry on as normal. Seems to me the clubs and premier league are not singing from the same song sheet.

Re the Oxford vaccine, they said they will sell it on a non profit basis. They never said they will sell it just to governments. If transport For London ( or any other business) who have had many deaths due to Covid were to say we will buy X number of vaccines to get London safely moving again why is that so wrong. Vulnerable people are not just the elderly with underlying health issues.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it would be really bad PR for the Premier League to buy up a load of vaccine. What would have been great PR is for them to recognise the obscene amount of money they get and help fund the creation/roll out of the vaccine.

I imagine we would look quite differently at the league if as a collective they offered £1 million each other to help develop/roll out the vaccine.

Helping others hasn’t done Rashfords image any harm

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
What I find interesting is apparently the clubs have had “ secret” meetings about having a 2 week break, but the premier league have said carry on as normal. Seems to me the clubs and premier league are not singing from the same song sheet.

Premier League are waiting to be told what to do by the big 6. :D

I really cant see how things can continue as they are. We need a hard break until the end of February. If then the situation has noticeably improved, rather than trying to fulfil the remaining 22/23 fixtures for each club, the PL should be divided into three mini leagues of top 7, middle 6, bottom 7 teams who would then play against other teams in the mini division on a home/away basis...even if they've already played those teams once or twice, this would mean each team would only have to fulfil 10 or 12 fixtures, putting a lot less pressure on squads fitness after the enforced break. Teams only play against teams from their mini division but they can still move up/down the table as normal.

As it stands, whilst the rest of society does their best to socially distance themselves it is utterly laughable when you watch playing and backroom club staff bump elbows at the end of the game, and then follow it up with a hug handshake, pat on the cheek whatever....its just like they're living in a different world.

D

Deleted member 15344

So far have only seen three clubs/managers mention the break

Wilder and Allardyce want the two week break

OGS says he doesn’t see the need

So two clubs that are struggling right now want a break

And one club with a bit of momentum thinks we should carry on

It’s great to see that the Prem League teams are just looking at the bigger picture as opposed to just themselves ?

As for the vaccine - there is no way this should be on a “if you have money you can have the vaccine before others”

Join the queue - a premier league footballers life is not worth more than Mr and Mrs Smith

Some things should ignore the commercial world and look at the human side and these vaccines enter that area

Give the vaccine to the most vunerable and then work down the list - no queue jumping regardless of how much money someone has

D

Deleted member 16999

I do believe some of the opinions towards the vaccine and rich or private individuals is a bit naive.

If you’ve got someone who only goes private for their medical treatment and never uses the NHS then finds they can get the vaccine quicker by using the NHS, aren’t they just as bad? Would they be depriving someone else of getting the vaccine quicker by jumping the queue they would normally snub.

As I said the moral rights and wrongs in this whole debate will be controlled by the manafacturer and any issues of availability and to what market, should be taken up with them.

Companies have made millions, if not billions off Covid-19 and there’ll be some who make millions off the vaccine.

Last edited by a moderator:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
So far have only seen three clubs/managers mention the break

Wilder and Allardyce want the two week break

OGS says he doesn’t see the need

So two clubs that are struggling right now want a break

And one club with a bit of momentum thinks we should carry on

It’s great to see that the Prem League teams are just looking at the bigger picture as opposed to just themselves ?

As for the vaccine - there is no way this should be on a “if you have money you can have the vaccine before others”

Join the queue - a premier league footballers life is not worth more than Mr and Mrs Smith

Some things should ignore the commercial world and look at the human side and these vaccines enter that area

Give the vaccine to the most vunerable and then work down the list - no queue jumping regardless of how much money someone has

The problem with this is there will be a time when there is more vaccine than the people who inject it can cope with.
Each of the clubs have medical staff that can administer the vaccine. Surely it makes sense to give a batch of vaccines to the PL for them to do what they want rather than it sitting in a fridge waiting for a nurse at some hospital to use it.
If they can also overcharge the PL for the vaccine that would fund more individuals to administer it to the mere mortals.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with this is there will be a time when there is more vaccine than the people who inject it can cope with.
Each of the clubs have medical staff that can administer the vaccine. Surely it makes sense to give a batch of vaccines to the PL for them to do what they want rather than it sitting in a fridge waiting for a nurse at some hospital to use it.
If they can also overcharge the PL for the vaccine that would fund more individuals to administer it to the mere mortals.

Why not use the medical staff from the clubs to set up community vaccination clinics at the football grounds instead. That way the vaccine is still going to those that need it most rather than extremely fit and healthy sportsmen.

D

Deleted member 15344

How about a real win for the Prem League teams - they allow their medical staff to go into the vaccine centres to help give the vaccine to the priority people that really it .

It’s not a money making episode , it’s about getting the vaccine to the vunerable so that the whole of the uk and more can start getting back to normal , fit healthy rich sportsmen and women can take their place in the queue along with the others

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
How about a real win for the Prem League teams - they allow their medical staff to go into the vaccine centres to help give the vaccine to the priority people that really it .

It’s not a money making episode , it’s about getting the vaccine to the vunerable so that the whole of the uk and more can start getting back to normal , fit healthy rich sportsmen and women can take their place in the queue along with the others

Not likely to happen but in an ideal world it would.

They could do the playing staff on their lunchbreak ?.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not likely to happen but in an ideal world it would.

They could do the playing staff on their lunchbreak ?.
A few days use of medical staff and facilities for 40-50 x £3 vaccines? Seems a decent deal ?.

Slight jocularity apart, how far down the list of 9 groups before you think this becomes an acceptable option? I reckon by after group 6.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
A few days use of medical staff and facilities for 40-50 x £3 vaccines? Seems a decent deal ?.

Slight jocularity apart, how far down the list of 9 groups before you think this becomes an acceptable option? I reckon by after group 6.

Dunno. In a world of hypotheticals, if the medical staff were willing to offer their services now I'd just let them have it.

I'm pretty sure after today's news there's more vaccines in fridges than can safely be used by the NHS 'jabbers'. Milk the PL for everything they're willing to give.