Following on from my earlier lie angle thread...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lie board is only a sheet of plastic. A thin sheet of ply or plastic around 3 mm thick will do. Stick a strip of masking tape on the clubs sole and hit a few balls off the board. Should have a rub mark in the centre if they are correct.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can get the same result from striking the driving range mats, with Tape on sole of club, but any Ping stockist will have a Strike board, lots of Pros that dont stock Ping may have one also

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Generally I take a small, semi-deep divot, probably 6-8 inches in length.

6-8 inches? That's a BIG divot if you ask me.

Mind you, your idea of 8 inches might be somewhat exaggerated :whistle: :rofl:

From your pics, the 6 iron looks quite a lot toe up, while the others a bit, but not so much to worry about.

The point that's been made about set-up lie vs dynamic lie is a good one. A lot of swings, you'll find the hands return to impact at a more upright position as the force of the swing round your body pushes them outwards and away from the body.

If you get a C/F you will know for certain! I thought you said your good lady had green lighted new irons any way.. what are you waiting for, get em bought!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
6-8 inches? That's a BIG divot if you ask me.

Mind you, your idea of 8 inches might be somewhat exaggerated :whistle: :rofl:

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhh Don't tell the wife.

I think on reflection, my divots are around 6" in length, but it can obviously vary.

If you get a C/F you will know for certain! I thought you said your good lady had green lighted new irons any way.. what are you waiting for, get em bought!

Quite right Monty, however I like my R7 irons and woud rather not splash out on more irons if it can be helped.

They could do with re-gripping at the minute, so if they're turn out to be ok lie wise I'll just do this and keep them....... Unless the wife forces me to have new shines

I'm off to the range after work tonigt, so I'm going to tape up a few irons and see what the impact marks look like.

Maybe post some pictures tonight and see what the concensus of the forum is regarding the impact marks.