Follow through extension drills HELP

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Went to the range to nail my fault where i have started to hook the ball ( never had this problem as i was more of a slicer )

At first i thought it must be the grip so changed that but that didnt really help although minor change to flight but not the cure

Then i discovered it , lack of follow through was the reason
1. Lack of follow through resulted in closed club face too soon hence the hooks etc

2. Sense of hitting the ball instead of swinging the club out towards the target

Tried my new follow through ( felt a bit weird ) but ball flight was back on track and straight

My question is how can i work on this any drills to encourage better follow through ( extension )

Seems like many faults are written about but extension / follow through isnt discussed but i can clearly see a reason why incorrect follow through can ruin your swing

1. Arms are not straight at impact and beyond
2. club face closed at impact ( not because of grip )
3. Ball flight and distance ruined

Any tips please ??

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stop the follow through when the arms are parallel to the ground and this will encourage the arms to stay connected to the body and in time increase the amount of extension.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to the range to nail my fault where i have started to hook the ball ( never had this problem as i was more of a slicer )

At first i thought it must be the grip so changed that but that didnt really help although minor change to flight but not the cure

Then i discovered it , lack of follow through was the reason
1. Lack of follow through resulted in closed club face too soon hence the hooks etc

2. Sense of hitting the ball instead of swinging the club out towards the target

Tried my new follow through ( felt a bit weird ) but ball flight was back on track and straight

My question is how can i work on this any drills to encourage better follow through ( extension )

Seems like many faults are written about but extension / follow through isnt discussed but i can clearly see a reason why incorrect follow through can ruin your swing

3. Ball flight and distance ruined

Any tips please ??

Not sure I fully follow the OP as the follow through is a direct consequence of the swing to the ball - one cannot be separated from the other. Also, the follow through is of no conseqeunce to where the ball ends up.

Whenever I struggle I check my stance and posture and just make some half swings (shaft parallel to ground going back and follow through to parallel) to get the timing back - then simple increase the length of swing gradually to a full tilt at the ball.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

And

And

And

To me, or the way I read it anyway, all the above are related to a single problem. As you're trying to hit the ball, you may be releasing your hands too early in an attempt to hit the ball (closing the club face) and hitting everything left.

NB: By "release" I mean unhinging your wrists, not rolling your wrists.

Do you also pull the ball straight left or is it always a hook?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And

And

And

To me, or the way I read it anyway, all the above are related to a single problem. As you're trying to hit the ball, you may be releasing your hands too early in an attempt to hit the ball (closing the club face) and hitting everything left.

NB: By "release" I mean unhinging your wrists, not rolling your wrists.

Do you also pull the ball straight left or is it always a hook?

Yes the odd pull but mainly hooks

To the other comment made by Snaphookwedge that the extension follow through has nothing to do with the ball flight needs to study the swing again i think !

Yes i can be guilty of "hitting" and not swinging through the ball

At the range i changed to a more deliberate extension through the ball and this made a huge difference

So do not under estimate the importance of the swing after the ball strike !!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes the odd pull but mainly hooks

To the other comment made by Snaphookwedge that the extension follow through has nothing to do with the ball flight needs to study the swing again i think !

Yes i can be guilty of "hitting" and not swinging through the ball

At the range i changed to a more deliberate extension through the ball and this made a huge difference

So do not under estimate the importance of the swing after the ball strike !!

I stick by my comments - once you have hit the ball, the swing can do anything and it won't make the blindest bit of difference to where the ball goes.....check out Jeev Milka Singh.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I stick by my comments - once you have hit the ball, the swing can do anything and it won't make the blindest bit of difference to where the ball goes.....check out Jeev Milka Singh.

You are correct stating after the ball is struck everything else doesnt matter.... however

The golf swing in my opinion isnt like that in fact the simple reaction of quitting and hitting the ball instead of swinging through the ball with good extension will result in a closed club face and chicken wing arms

I guess the truth is the extension is a result of keeping the arms connected through the ball so the swing thought of the extension gives the finished result

if you do not believe this try just hitting the ball and on the follow through let the arms collapse, result closed club face and hooks and pulls and dreaded chicken wings

The brain / body cannot react this fast to the swing so we must swing through the ball to make sure the club face stays square to target line for longer in my opinion, maybe i am wrong ????

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The brain / body cannot react this fast to the swing so we must swing through the ball to make sure the club face stays square to target line for longer in my opinion, maybe i am wrong ????

You are correct. The follow through reflects the way the club swung down and through the ball and you can learn a lot about the swing by studying it. If the follow through is short and jabby, if your hands exit very low or too high then these are tell tail signs of a faulty swing. It is almost impossible to create good ballflight with a poor finish.