Focus on not losing balls ?

Prodavid116

Visit site
So been out on Course again for the 3rd Time and this time i made it my goal to only lose fewer balls as possible anyway come end of round which was 9 hole i only lost 1 i also think it has made me play better and more Safe at times so instead of Driver everytime i sometimes went 7 iron etc.... if it wasn't fairly open to the right as i know my Driver more than likely will go right atm obviously not always the case but not got around to Driver in my lessons yet so doing my best with it.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Game & Course management is as important a part as the technical stuff. It’s good to have targets, I’d be less fixated with the number lost but number lost though bad decisions.

ie You shank one at 45 degrees into the water, bad shot, it happens. You try to carry 180 yds of water off a dodgy downhill lie, instead of a wedge back onto the fairway, bad decision.

Boomy

Visit site
So far, since joining Silloth it has cost me more in lost balls than the actual membership costs :ROFLMAO: My course management is coming on though as I only lost 1 on Saturday and played the full 18 in a competition on Sunday and didn't lose a ball :cool: Didn't use my driver off the tee on Sunday, and didn't try to reach any par 5's in 2 either.. :unsure:

I always cast my mind back to rounds of golf with the old boys at a previous club - none of them could hit it that far, a lot of the guys used a utility/rescue off the tee and they played (mostly) no worse then bogey golf, quiet a few of them were off 10/12 handicap and steady with it. They all had great short games. Thinking your way around the course is key, as much as it is nice to get the driver out for a big ripper... is it the wise choice. I'm really working on this at the moment.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
So been out on Course again for the 3rd Time and this time i made it my goal to only lose fewer balls as possible anyway come end of round which was 9 hole i only lost 1 i also think it has made me play better and more Safe at times so instead of Driver everytime i sometimes went 7 iron etc.... if it wasn't fairly open to the right as i know my Driver more than likely will go right atm obviously not always the case but not got around to Driver in my lessons yet so doing my best with it.

Always good to play within your technical limitations.

If the majority of your lost balls are coming from Driver off the tee and you've not had a lesson on that yet, then I'd say you were doing the right thing.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sounds good so long as you're having fun.

I think prioritise enjoying yourself, for some that involves bashing their driver as hard as possible come what may, for others it's all about getting the lowest score you can and improving.

What you're doing sounds very sensible if your goal is to score as well as possible.

RichA

Visit site
My best round ever (90) was done with nothing bigger than a 7 iron. For reasons I don't fully understand, I've never done it since. Some part of my brain (probably the bit where the ego lives) tells me it's not proper golf unless you're hitting the big clubs. Stupid game.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Proper golf starts from 90 yards in. That is where all the skilful stuff is. Hitting the ball up the fairway and towards the green is mostly a damage limitation exercise. Not losing balls is definitely part of that.

Can't remember who I am quoting here, "Whatever our ability, we all get to hit 18 perfect shots each round, the rest are damage limitation."

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I probably disagree with a few comments on this thread. Course management crucial, good to keep it in play but hitting driver 250yds onto fairway is a very significant skill. Just as important as 90 yards and in.

It's good to see "old timers" playing hybrids and saving it with short game, but they are just masking limitations. If a driver wasn't that key pros wouldn't hit it as often as they could.

Easier said than done to learn how to hit it properly as i lose a lot right and for a new starter i agree they may not want to hit driver to start with as they learn the game and make it more enjoyable to not be searching all the time but ultimately it is a skill to try and master.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A full swing with a driver is the same skill as a full swing with a 9-iron. In my view there is little difference in the skill that needs to be learned for those two shoots and all the ones in between. It is a skill, but the trick is to hit it straight to limit damage. From 90 yards in, all manner of other things need to be learned in order to produce lower scores.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the key is being sensible. Big wide target area, knowing you have room if you get it wrong? Go for it. But still concentrate on where you want that shot to land.

Yes, driver as often as possible makes the game easier if you can hit it 250 (hell, 220) yards in a reasonably straight line. But knowing when to be sensible and take trouble out of the equation is equally useful. I often use a GPS app (hole19, in my case) to plot my way around a course before playing. Obviously this doesn't take into account variables like up/downhill and wind, but I find having a plan really useful in terms of where I should be sensible and where I can go for it.

I like to stand on a tee (especially on courses I've played before) and think 'where do I want to play my shot into the green from?' and therefore what's the best way of getting to that spot. Sometimes it's a 5 iron to a wide part of the fairway, then a 7 iron, then a wedge into the green. sometimes it's driver.

But also, there's little more fun than teeing up the ball, whipping the head cover off your driver and smashing one (vaguely!) down the middle. When you can do it more often than not, you'll use it more.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Naturally it depends on the course/hole but after learning to hit my driver I’m consistently shooting in the 80’s. Being able to approach with mid-short irons is vital in reducing your scores IMO. I hit driver as much as possible, the risk/reward makes sense, at least on my course.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I probably disagree with a few comments on this thread. Course management crucial, good to keep it in play but hitting driver 250yds onto fairway is a very significant skill. Just as important as 90 yards and in.

It's good to see "old timers" playing hybrids and saving it with short game, but they are just masking limitations. If a driver wasn't that key pros wouldn't hit it as often as they could.

Easier said than done to learn how to hit it properly as i lose a lot right and for a new starter i agree they may not want to hit driver to start with as they learn the game and make it more enjoyable to not be searching all the time but ultimately it is a skill to try and master.

I might have missed something, but I don't think anyone has said anything to the contrary. The sensible approach is to practice driver at the driving range and with lessons until the skill is good enough to use on the course. In the meantime it's not much fun blasting every tee shot where there is danger to the right straight in there.

Golf is fun, endlessly looking for your golf ball isn't.

Boomy

Visit site

Erm... my references were about average people going out and scoring well without using a driver. I.e you can go out, score well and enjoy the game without a driver (until the OP advances further in his lessons perhaps) You are unrealistically comparing professionals using drivers so that means everyone should?! Erm, no.

The whole game of golf is a skill, from tee to green. But as the old saying goes ‘drive for show, putt for dough’ The short game is true feel, touch and control.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No I appreciate more than one way to play a hole/round and to use judgement. Also agree good to practice different ways of playing so taking different clubs out the bag and the flow of a round being disrupted by constantly looking for balls is rubbish particularly when new.

I think i was just disagreeing that long term playing hybrid off the tee is the answer, and it sounds like same view as you’re saying short term, (pro reference was a counterpoint to old timers playing hybrid) and that short game is more important than long. Think ultimately aim is to use driver better. Even the phrase “drive for show, putt for dough” goes against a lot of recent thinking on how to score well. I know he has critics but I find Crossfield quite interesting on that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fine to do that as a 'beginner' (which all handicap players really are!!) but there WILL come a time when you will have to use the 'big dog' in order to improve your scores!
Npw is likely the best time to take some advice from someono capable/qualified to teach you how to improve - before you ingrain bad habits!
And, FWIW, it'll be shots from 120yds to 5 feet that will really determine your real quality!!

Zig

Visit site
So far, since joining Silloth it has cost me more in lost balls than the actual membership costs :ROFLMAO: My course management is coming on though as I only lost 1 on Saturday and played the full 18 in a competition on Sunday and didn't lose a ball :cool: Didn't use my driver off the tee on Sunday, and didn't try to reach any par 5's in 2 either.. :unsure:

I always cast my mind back to rounds of golf with the old boys at a previous club - none of them could hit it that far, a lot of the guys used a utility/rescue off the tee and they played (mostly) no worse then bogey golf, quiet a few of them were off 10/12 handicap and steady with it. They all had great short games. Thinking your way around the course is key, as much as it is nice to get the driver out for a big ripper... is it the wise choice. I'm really working on this at the moment.
Playing Silloth on Monday - really looking forward to it, till I read you comment about balls. Gonna pack and extra sleeve just in case! :)

Boomy

Visit site
Playing Silloth on Monday - really looking forward to it, till I read you comment about balls. Gonna pack and extra sleeve just in case! :)

Ahhh good stuff ? You’ll have a fab time, it’s playing in superb condition and especially so early in the season. I’m a newbie back after a 10 year break so I’m a bit wild off the tee... it’s taken me a few rounds to realise distance off the tee isn’t important, accuracy is. The worst I’ve lost in a round is 5 so you’ll be grand ? Have a great game ??‍♂️P.s 100% premium on accuracy into the 4th green, play for the middle ?

Reactions: Zig

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I appreciate more than one way to play a hole/round and to use judgement. Also agree good to practice different ways of playing so taking different clubs out the bag and the flow of a round being disrupted by constantly looking for balls is rubbish particularly when new.

I think i was just disagreeing that long term playing hybrid off the tee is the answer, and it sounds like same view as you’re saying short term, (pro reference was a counterpoint to old timers playing hybrid) and that short game is more important than long. Think ultimately aim is to use driver better. Even the phrase “drive for show, putt for dough” goes against a lot of recent thinking on how to score well. I know he has critics but I find Crossfield quite interesting on that.

I literally couldn't keep the ball in play with a driver for a period of 6 months, I was teeing it up with a 4 iron off every hole and I started to not enjoy golf! Hitting driver isn't everything, but for me, there's no better feeling (perhaps joint with sinking a long putt and hitting a pure long iron), than screaming a drive up the middle of the fairway.

I got lessons and practiced my driving until it became a strength and I dropped 9 shots off my handicap in the 6 months that followed.

I absolutely agree with what you say, driving the ball well is important, however, if you're driving it badly continuing to smash the ball in the woods is no fun at all. Drive for show and putt for dough is only right if you have a decent competency with the driver. If you can hit it fairly straight 225+ with your driver, then putting is more important, if you're in the cabbage off the tee every time then driving is more important.

For a beginner though, new to playing on the course, all that matters is having fun. As I said in my first post, if you enjoy smashing driver and can live with 3 bad ones for every 1 that screams off up the middle, that's great. However if searching for / losing a couple of balls every 9 holes makes you not enjoy it, conservative is the way to go!