Flexibility and strength

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
Background: 12 years of age and have been playing for several months.

As winter starts there will be no fun in playing in the cold so I decided to have a fitness regime for the winter to ultimately have more control and speed when I come back to play in spring. I would like some simple exercises to build up these 2 things and don't tell me to buy some gimmick that I won't buy.:rolleyes:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Alex

It's good to be fit and flexible for golf and for health in general. Creating ball speed and control is something else though and to improve these you need to create a good repeatable swing that creates great ball contact with the club.

Start by looking at what the best people in the game do, understand what it is they do that gets the ball to the target better than most golfers. learn what you should do to improve your skills in all aspects of the game and start a program that will give you a roadmap to follow. You may need some help from others, are you a Junior member of a good club that can coach you?

Work hard over the winter and let us know how you are improving. Also, enjoy your golf :smirk:

Last edited:

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a junior at a club but lessons are out of the question. My dad just doesn't want to pay. About seeing what the best people do in the game. I have no clue where to go about it. By the way these exercises should be indoor .

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a junior at a club but lessons are out of the question. My dad just doesn't want to pay. About seeing what the best people do in the game. I have no clue where to go about it. By the way these exercises should be indoor .

Alex, many clubs give free or low cost Junior coaching. You can study the great golfers on the internet, they are all on YouTube.

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
My club charges the same whether adults or children want a lesson and also has anyone got anymore websites or videos I can watch

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Alex,

Take a look around the clubs in your area and see what they do for Juniors. My club does junior coaching on Sunday mornings for £5 and you dont ned to be a member. What area of the country do you live? Some of the members of this site may be able to let you know what their clubs do.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Alex what you should google are "core" exercises these will help you generate power , just a tip tho google core work for say teenagers , id be VERY reluctant to without qualifications to give anyone so young a workout exercise , your body is stil growing & the wrong exercises could cause you problems as you mature with posture etc .. training wrong is as bad, if not worse than not training at all ..

Proper press ups will help arm & shoulder strenght etc .. few sit ups & leg raises will help with the stomach muscles & strenghten the mid region ..

If you work on balance in your swing , make sure you can hold your finish without falling over or rocking , i think that will help..

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kettlebells.

Goto a class so you can be taught by a professional.

Chasing burds is also good exercise lol

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Alex,

At 12 years old I would avoid doing weight training or at the very least seek professional advice from a qualified training, good advice would be to go see your doctor and he/she will be able to point you in the right direction regarding training and what you body can cope with at your age.

If you're set on doing weight related exercise to try and build you up, stick to bodyweight exercises, like Lunges, Press Ups, Jump Squats, Crunches, Plank and lots of stretching a quick google search for bodyweight exercises should give you plenty of ideas.

For golfing drills there are thousands of clips, blogs, and forums where you'll get lots of advice a lot of it will be contradictory, do a little bit of research find a blog or advice site that you feel confortable with and stick with it.

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did in my youth a fitness instructors course. Really at 12 you should avoid doing any heavy weights or muscle building exercises. As someone on here has said stick to sit ups, running, push ups etc as they will all build and harden muscle but without causing any skeletal or joint problems. Also As for flexability strecthing exercises like touching your toes etc will all help but stay away from weights and the gym for at least another 4 years. Your still growing and don't want to end up with more problems through exercise.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want to improve your flexibility and strength for golf......................

............play more golf.
No harm in a bit of cold weather

And if your course is closed, swimming pools are never closed.
Unless of course you are already overweight in which case lay off the pizzas and Macdonalds