Flat wrist issue

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been working on correcting my natural tendency to cup my wrist at the top of my backswing, really concentrating on keeping it flat. Been going well and I'm getting some really good results with my irons and hybrid, however my woods have gone to ratpoop. Most shots are going straight right, with the occasional slice thrown in for good measure, which I thought the flat wrist was supposed to stop (flatten the swing and stop coming over the top). On the plus side I haven't hit anything left....
Any obvious pointers/cures, other than 'aim left'?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, to try and flatten the swing path a bit and stop coming over the top, and promote a bit of a draw. I wonder if its flattening too much with the woods and I'm playing a cover drive instead of a golf shot

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't see how flattening the left wrist will stop you coming over the top?
Changing from out to in to in to out is a big change and can take a long time.
You may be better sticking with a small fade.
But as Fundy said, a video down the line would help

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like you are a little slow with your hip rotation which is making your left arm chicken wing and your wrists flip. Slow the video through impact to see it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
OK forget coming over the top, you don't (in the video above at least).
The problem I see is your grip. It's too strong.
At the top of your backswing your clubface is closed which will normally hit it left if you release properly, so you don't.
You hold off the release until after impact because if you don't, it's going left all day.

Untitled.jpgggg.jpg

My advice would be to weaken the grip, (turn both hands anti-clockwise.)
Then try and hit it left, that should square up the face at impact.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob will advise better than me, but if I understand correctly, if your clubface is facing straight up at the top of the swing (which it appears to do) you are too strong and you will hit it left. As Bob says, to prevent that you stop releasing the club properly. How do I know? Been there, got several tee shirts.
Check your grip. I made the mistake of paying too much attention to my left hand (2 knuckles and all that) and ignored my right. After reading a post on here, I read Homer advising to buy a grip training aid that clips on the grip. The best one is by SKLZ. You can hit shots with it on on practice. I was amazed at how far over the top of the grip it had my right hand (so weaker). The first shot I hit with the trainer on was the first shot I had sliced in a decade. Keep going with it. You soon get used to it and the improvement is amazing.