Flat wrist issue

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
NOOOOOOOOOO.....

If your clubface is aiming left at impact the ball will probably start left, the ball doesn't care where your clubface is aiming at any point apart from impact...
Correct. But as I understand it it’s more likely to be aiming left at impact if it’s pointing upwards at the top of the swing. Usually because your grip is strong.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Traditionally, yes.
But more and more and more swings today disprove all the old clichés.
Face pointing up at the top is considered closed, but what happens through impact is all that counts and there's lots can change in between.
Again I agree. I am not qualified to say what else may be happening during the downswing, but the OP’s clubface is pointing to the sky at the top. This was my issue caused by a strong right hand grip, not a wrist issue as I thought and seemingly what the OP thought too. Bob, who is qualified to identify the problem had already diagnosed a strong grip along with a reluctance to release properly which is a fault caused by a strong grip shutting the face, so the whole issue resonated with me, hence my post on how I resolved it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Theory?

I'm talking about all the old nonsense about the clubface must be in certain positions on the way up, at the top etc...

It's clear as day if you watch any amount of golf on TV, watch any kind of modern swing analysis and pay any attention to any kind of golf coverage, that all of the individual traits such as wrist and clubface position are characteristics and not necessarily faults.

It's all down to the physics of the delivery of the club at impact, what goes on before that is purely relative to each individual's own unique swing.

So what would your advice be to the OP who is struggling with blocks and occasional slices?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone knows it’s what happens at impact that counts. I am surprised Jim Furyk hasn’t been mentioned yet. However, the OP was requesting advice on how to resolve his issue. I am not saying anyone did, but if we all told him to carry on because DJ or Ricky don’t have textbook positions at the top, it wouldn’t solve his problem. Ricky, DJ et al are all highly skilled, with amazing hand/eye coordination and club head awareness and get it back square at impact. The OP clearly isn’t getting back to square at impact or he wouldn’t be posting. So we are trying to help him get back to square at impact. That is the whole point of the thread.

i*windows

Visit site
if you have the time and resources go and see a pro, then choose the YT videos to matchup with what the pro is telling you to do.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Traditionally, yes.
But more and more and more swings today disprove all the old clichés.
Face pointing up at the top is considered closed, but what happens through impact is all that counts and there's lots can change in between.
Can't agree more. I am shut at the top and my common miss is right

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't agree more. I am shut at the top and my common miss is right

If you are shut at the top and you release the club through impact the ball will normally go left. Instead what you do is hold off the release, resulting in the face pointing right sometimes.
See post no. 15

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are shut at the top and you release the club through impact the ball will normally go left. Instead what you do is hold off the release, resulting in the face pointing right sometimes.
See post no. 15
This is my issue. I hold off the release. According to kvest I have sequence and de-acceleration issues ?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Bob, played today and driving was a massive improvement, had a couple leak right but i put that down to the wind;) ,but on the whole the difference was huge(y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers Bob, played today and driving was a massive improvement, had a couple leak right but i put that down to the wind;) ,but on the whole the difference was huge(y)

Great news. :)
The more straight drives you hit the more confident you will become and the more confident you become the more straight drives you will hit.
Golf is much more fun from the middle of the fairway.