Flags when you're on the green - still permanently in or back to how things were?

Flags when your on the green - still permanently in or back to how things were?

• Pins in for all putts

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Flexible

Votes: 46 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All normal today.....but no one removed a flag at any point.

But how lovely to splash out of a properly raked bunker today.
Playing after todays big medal field I found it particularly dismaying to observe that many seem to have forgotten where the club requests the rakes to be left…some monumentally careless dumping of racks having to be corrected for folks following my group…but oh dear…let’s not go there…

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only thing that is certain is that if a ball is going so fast that it would pass over the hole without the flagstick it would finish nearer the hole if it hit a flagstick that was in the hole.
My search of websites since 2019 suggests that the various 'tests' are 55/45 in favour of leaving it in. But no one has yet proved anything.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing after todays big medal field I found it particularly dismaying to observe that many seem to have forgotten where the club requests the rakes to be left…some monumentally careless dumping of racks having to be corrected for folks following my group…but oh dear…let’s not go there…
You just know that we need to start a campaign on this. Ditch rakes, go back to placing within 6", brush with your foot or club. End of argument about rake placement. You know it makes sense ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I also found myself putting rakes back where we've been asked. No doubt this week's Sec Email will cover!

Recently I've not been getting out of the bunker first time, or its been thinned out like a missile! Yesterday, two bunkers, one up and down and one just missed from 10 feet.

Great to see Rich going sub 50 putts again!!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still haven't taken a flag out. Also not been in any bunkers the last two rounds so I've not had to touch a rake either. :LOL:

Mandofred

Visit site
If you were putting for one of the Majors, would you leave the flag in or take it out?

I've not had the chance to play in a Major but have seen many who have on TV.

It seems that the best golfers have the flag out, and the club duffers leave it in. ;)
Is it a skinny bottom flag...or a big wide beast of a flag? Skinny bottom.....I'd putt with it in. It's all in the golfers head. If they think the flag in is bad....it is. If they think it works great in....it does.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Folks, extraordinary discussion here on the deep feelings seemingly held over the pros or cons of pins in or out when on the greens.

There really is no right or wrong here. No one is right or wrong ? Really. Honestly. Trust me.

Imagine the question was: How do you prefer your steak cooked? Rare Medium or Well done?

It’s a matter of personal preference.?????

Simple as.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Folks, extraordinary discussion here on the deep feelings seemingly held over the pros or cons of pins in or out when on the greens.

There really is no right or wrong here. No one is right or wrong ? Really. Honestly. Trust me.

Imagine the question was: How do you prefer your steak cooked? Rare Medium or Well done?

Simple as.

Well done steak is wrong. It doesn't matter if it's your personal preference or not, ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Simple as.
Sorry but that's a terrible analogy. If you like your steak well done then you don't really like steak, full stop. ?