Flags when you're on the green - still permanently in or back to how things were?

Flags when your on the green - still permanently in or back to how things were?

• Pins in for all putts

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Flexible

Votes: 46 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put flexible but (lighting the touch paper here) not happy to be tending the pin for anyone. I certainly won't be asking anyone.
I do like the flag attended if I can’t see the hole.
But until this is all over I wouldn’t put anyone in a awkward position if they don’t want to.
That’s just common manners for me.
In for long ones ,out if I can see the hole.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was wondering about this. Could it also be that on shorter putts and with the flag in, folk are perhaps inadvertently focusing/aiming for the stick itself (or part of the stick), kinda seeing it as the target instead of aiming for the part of the rim the ball is supposed to enter the hole?
Quite the opposite I have had so many lip outs because I am aiming between the flag and side of the hole.
This makes it only half the size.
Thankfully it’s over now. It’s out.

Mandofred

Visit site
So my next questionable question......let's say England golf send out something tomorrow stating that from now on flags MUST be left in. Would the world end? Would all those people who want the flag out quit and start knitting/wrestling/bike racing? Or......would they adjust and deal with things as they are?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So my next questionable question......let's say England golf send out something tomorrow stating that from now on flags MUST be left in. Would the world end? Would all those people who want the flag out quit and start knitting/wrestling/bike racing? Or......would they adjust and deal with things as they are?
Would make the courses quieter for me...(y):whistle:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A lot more gimmes

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they were the rules I would just get on with it.
Wouldn’t like it but tough.
But why would they take away the choice.
Atm anyone can have the flag anyway they want ,I don’t see a problem there.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Our greenkeepers had understandably stuffed the holes with some foam, so the depth was about that of a ball. However, I found that with that in the hole, I was getting at least 1 dodgy bounce out per round.

I played yesterday and the foam has now been removed, and no bounce outs! As this is the case, I'll probably be leaving the flag in :)

bwstokie

Visit site
Play solo quite a bit and for no other reason than I can’t be bothered, flag stays in. Social golf which is usually once a week flag does whatever playing partners want as again not really fussed.

D

Deleted member 23270

Maybe they could make the holes bigger. Has that been discussed on here before?

Mandofred

Visit site
Maybe they could make the holes bigger. Has that been discussed on here before?
Actually think I mentioned that ages ago. Some smart math guy could probably figure out how much bigger the hole would have to be to account for the flag in the middle.....but all the flags aren't the same thickness, so that would be another issue. Rather jealous of the folks who had the skinny at the bottom flags. If we had those, it wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually think I mentioned that ages ago. Some smart math guy could probably figure out how much bigger the hole would have to be to account for the flag in the middle.....but all the flags aren't the same thickness, so that would be another issue. Rather jealous of the folks who had the skinny at the bottom flags. If we had those, it wouldn't be an issue for me at all.
I played up at West Lothian GC a couple of weeks ago, lovely course incidentally. They had those pins, absolutely brilliant too. If anyone blames a bounce out with those in place then they really are kidding themselves. It is odd to be praising a flag but they really are much better.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Played an open yesterday at Boston GC and none of my fourball removed any of the flags. In my case it's because it makes no difference to me so why bother for no benefit? It may be the same for the others or maybe they just forgot that it was now an option once more.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
When the rule changed originally a few years back, and you could leave the pin in if you wished, a top Pro did a lot of research on what gave the best odds of the putt staying holed with the pin in or out.

Someone called Bryson DeChambeau in fact (quelle surprise), and if I remember correctly, his research found that leaving the pin in produced statistically better results.

https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-putting-pin-2019-rules/

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When the rule changed originally a few years back, and you could leave the pin in if you wished, a top Pro did a lot of research on what gave the best odds of the putt staying holed with the pin in or out.

Someone called Bryson DeChambeau in fact (quelle surprise), and if I remember correctly, his research found that leaving the pin in produced statistically better results.

It also states it depends on flag thickness and what it's made out of though. For us that could vary a lot depending on where we play I suppose.

Back before Covid I was leaving the flag in for longer putts, so that if I overhit them the flag would stop them dead for a tap-in, but I had started taking them out on four footers, because I felt I did get a couple of bounce-outs from putts that were not dead in the centre, and I just wanted to remove the possibility. But having not had the chance to do that in the last 18 months I might just continue leaving them in all the time.

Mandofred

Visit site

People who are convinced that they putt worse with the flag in....are probably correct. They hate the flag in, don't like the flag in....the flag is evil.....yep, they are going to get more bad results. I can absolutely understand that happening.

I don't care either way. I don't consider it a help or a hindrance. It's just there. Just like the wind....when it's windy I try to adjust to it.....if I don't, I'm going to get some worse results.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Long or short putts, other than the tours on TV, I rarely see anyone taking the little flagsticks out on the practice green.
So if you practice with a flag in would it really be an issue on the course :unsure: