Flag etiquette

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I generally just ask if everyone is happy with it out?
If so I PLACE it just off the green.
Really winds me up when I see people just drop it on the green.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Hate seeing it when someone picks the flag out and just drops it or throws it to the side. I always move the pin away, hook the flag with my putter and lower gently to the ground.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always make sure I can get the flag out and rest it within the hole make sure my shadow is not in the way and make myself as small a target as possible and stand still.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Ask the person furthest away if they want it out or tended, if out check with the others.

If tended, the repeat first stage for the next player, until everyone agrees for it to be out.

Once agreed, place, not drop or throw, onto fringe

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm nearest I'll take it out having asked if everyone is happy , will hang on to it to see how the furthest gets on with their putt, if they make it or are going to finish I wait and then hand it to them with " here's your prize" otherwise lower to ground with putter away from everyone elses putts.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who? Closest. Though ill always pull the flag and ask the next person (even if off the green) would they like it back in and or tended. Always place the flag down not drop it.

The most important bit for me is placing the flag back in carefully, hate seeing the cup damaged by someone who thinks they're also competing in the javelin

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
First person to hole out replaces the flag.

I get annoyed when everyone walks off the green leaving the last player to hole out with the job of retrieving and replacing the flagstick.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
And another thing ...

People who barely get the flagstick back into its hole at the bottom of the cup should be shot. In any sort of wind the flagstick will end up resting against the edge of the hole and can easily cut a groove into it.

And breathe ...

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whoever get there first takes it out if required, first one in the hole then picks it up and replaces it when everyone has holed out.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Whoever gets there first ... can be the player who is closest, or someone who has to pass by the flag to get to his putt anyway. Especially when it is clear that everyone is happy with the flag out. When it needs to be tended then probable the one closest, or, if there is someone who has picked up or holed out from off the green, then that player, of course. Don't think much about it, though, normally resolves itself relatively naturally.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any time I get to the flag first, I remove it, set it on its end then drop it, the weight is nowhere near as much as a person walking so dont see the problem. then for replacing, I think the first to hole out replaces the flag at the end of putting on the green but my fourball just dont seem bothered about these things.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I tend the flag I stand to the opposite side that the putt is breaking from.

Yup - unless shadow falls on line or over hole and then I'll ask the side to stand. I stand 'beneath' the break so as to not be in direct line-of-vision of the player putting. And I always try and place the flag well away from the hole and so that it too is out of the line-of-vision of all putting.

Closest to hole tends flag if tending is required. First holed out is responsible for subsequently tending and replacing the flag.

And if I am about to putt I have no qualms about asking a flag lying on the green to be moved if I don't like where it is.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I like to play a game. Can I go an entire 18 holes without touching the pin at any stage, but without anybody noticing I am doing this.. Not as easy as it sounds.