Flag etiquette

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If my playing partners are putting the flag back they usually stand just over me breathing heavy as I am knocking my 2 foot in...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I was taught as a kid that nearest the hole (last to putt) tends/removes the flag and the first to hole out replaces the flag.
That is what I have always done Bob. Also I lower flag onto green, rather than just drop it like some. Place it where it is not on anyones through line incase they get a bit frisky.:eek: Small greens place it on the edge, but greens like St Andrews not really an option.:)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yup - unless shadow falls on line or over hole and then I'll ask the side to stand. I stand 'beneath' the break so as to not be in direct line-of-vision of the player putting. And I always try and place the flag well away from the hole and so that it too is out of the line-of-vision of all putting.

Closest to hole tends flag if tending is required. First holed out is responsible for subsequently tending and replacing the flag.

And if I am about to putt I have no qualms about asking a flag lying on the green to be moved if I don't like where it is.

Pretty much this. I sometimes ask people to move to the other side of the hole as my aim point is sometimes a fair bit past the hole if its steeply uphill. I always like a clear view of the side that it breaks so as I say ill ask people to move to the opposite side.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ready golf is the way forward. Why does it take 3 pages to decide who or who doesn't get the flag?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I always stand on he high side as if the ball misses then it's more likely to finish on the low side and I don't want to have left any impression in the green from from my standing there which might effect the next putt.

Re dropping the flag, I don't like to see this as to me it gives the impression of a lack of respect for the course, and while some would say that it doesn't damage the green, it could damage the flag-stick itself by for instance cracking the ferrule/nut that keeps the flag in place.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was taught as a kid that nearest the hole (last to putt) tends/removes the flag and the first to hole out replaces the flag.
But wasn't that also in the era of using sand for tees and the losing player to clean the winner's plus fours and hickory shafted driver? ;)

Spot on though about the flag. That is how it should be done.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What really bugs me especially during the winter are muppets who stand right next to the hole when holding the flag. Any kind of putt missing that side will then have a pair of size 10 hoof prints to putt through. I always stand at least three feet behind the hole holding the stick at an angle whilst staying out of the way of anyone's line. It's not difficult, just common sense. A skill sadly lacking in many golfers these days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Much as the other, but what about attending. I see so many people grab the stick and stand a foot or so from the hole, leaving a nice footprint near the cup. I take the top of the flag, hold it against the pole, lift it out and rest it against the front of the hole and a lay it at an angle without it touching the back edge. It lets me stand a good 3-4 feet away and causing less damage around the hole.

We have a guy in our Saturday roll up that must have an allergy to touching the flags and could be a teacher to murphthemog. It's become a standing joke and he usually gets a round of applause if he ever puts one back

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Take flag out, putt ball in hole, put flag in, move on. No etiquette involved. Stand on my line if you like, not like 30 other people haven’t already.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ready golf is the way forward. Why does it take 3 pages to decide who or who doesn't get the flag?

Have a search for the Where do you stand when your playing partners are teeing off thread from a couple of years ago!

The first to putt takes the flag out and the last to putt out replaces it after they’ve marked the card, always works out best for us and we never get held up anywhere on the course!