Flag chuckers.... maybe you have a bad back

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played behind a group of flag chuckers yesterday. Very odd.

In taking the pin out, there are two modes of operation.

1) Throw it to one side. Several yards appears to be the goal.
2) With the end on the ground, throw the flag end to the ground with force.

This trend seems to have passed me by. I wonder if we have some exponents of this on here who can explain the benefits? ? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I'm taking the pin out, I'll drop the flag end onto my putter and lower it to the ground, what could be simpler?
Never understood why people would drop/throw the flag but have noticed a few doing this on YouTube course vlogs.
Poor etiquette.

This, one end down, lower flag end with putter. Simple’s

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it’s far enough away to need it tending it stays in, if not it’s out. Make that hole as big as poss! The only time it’s left in close is if it’s that horrible downhill super fast putt

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was playing with a mate and his son a month or 2 ack. The lad likes the flag out on shorter putts..
I'd almost forgotten how to take a flag out it's been so long since I've done it.
Flag chuckers are one of my pet hates and, as has been said, a lot of the YouTube brigade do it.
Have a bit of respect for the course if you're going to take the flag out.

D

Deleted member 23270

It can be a bit of a faff getting the ball out the hole when the flag is still in.

benjo09

Visit site
It can be a bit of a faff getting the ball out the hole when the flag is still in.
Going a bit off the original topic but I feel like I see a lot more damage to the edges of holes now that the flag can be left in. Even saw a guy the other day trying to get his ball out of the hole using his putter while the flag was still in. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Going a bit off the original topic but I feel like I see a lot more damage to the edges of holes now that the flag can be left in. Even saw a guy the other day trying to get his ball out of the hole using his putter while the flag was still in. :rolleyes:

Almost as bad as those that leave the flag in and then to get the ball out they decide to yank up the flag as hard as possible in the hope that the ball will come out as well

as with divots , pitch marks , raking bunkers etc - there will always be those members at each course that just don’t care about the course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always have the flag out where possible unless I'm miles away from the hole. Take it out with care, put it down with care and put in in with care. Its not hard but the number of people who seem to catch the edge of the hole in particular when putting it back in and causing damage never ceases to amaze

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s never members. It’s visitors and societies that do all the damage!
Presumably that is a 'tongue in cheek ' comment as we have mainly been without societies and visitors and still the bunkers are not raked properly with pitch marks very evident.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our greens yesterday had a couple of deep indentations around the perimeter of the hole that had clearly been made by the bottom of the flagstick. The flag must have been replaced by a blind man.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A playing partner tended the flag for me this morning. It felt really odd, as it’s the first time I’ve had a flag tended since March 2020 ?.

To answer the OP, I’m with those who lower the flag with my putter, or drop it on the apron. I’ve never thrown it down on the green, and can’t understand why anyone would.