A very bitter-sweet evening.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I decided to go and have 9 holes from work last night. I making more of an effort to get the transition into the downswing right. So far the signs are good.

Started with a double bogey :mad: , then went on a run of pars, until the 5th where I made birdie to be 1 over at the 6th. The highight of my round was a 52° gap wedge into a 104 yard par 3. Pitched it past the flag and span it back (6ft) to about 8ft. knocked in the putt for a 2.

Birdie.111111pg.jpg

This is when the problems start.

I'd been following a 2 ball the whole way round. They were 2 holes in front, then 1, then I was waiting. I'm not too fussed usually, but I had a good rhythm going then it was ground to a hault. From the 6th, right through to the 9th I was waiting for, and this is not blown out of proportion, 10 minutes on every tee box. Luckily, there was no one playing behind me. In the end I dropped a few balls on the greens and worked on a bit of putting and greenside chipping. Same again on 7, and 8, and 9 :angry:

The group in front of them was long gone and had made there way back to the front section of the course for the back 9.

The while waiting for them to get out of range on the 9th fairway, went to get a drink from my bag and the zip and zip mechanism distintergrated in my hand :angry: So now I'm on the look out for a new bag :D

As I get to the green, trying to fix my broken zip and walk at the same time, they are totting up their front 9 score by the 10th tee. The older chap says, and I quote:

Sorry bud, we'd let you through but as you're a single player, we cant

:mmm:

To which I replied

You do realise that 'rule' was amended years ago? Priority on the course is determined by a group’s pace of play.The term “group” includes a single player.

To which he just look blankly at me.

I'll take that as a no, you didn't know then

I gave him my copy of the rule book and suggested, politely, he re-aquaint himself with them.

I popped into the clubhouse on the way off to pick up a new copy but still felt rather annoyed.

I want to make it plain that I have no issue with anyone who plays this game. I don't care if you're off scratch or 36, it makes zero difference to me. I don't expect everyone who plays the game to know all the rules, but what does gripe me is peoples inability to follow basic etiquette or at least have a basic understanding of wht is expeced of them on a golf course.

Oh, incase anyone was wondering what I shot...... 3 Over :whoo:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the irony of this post is that he thought he did know the rules!

there are a huge number of people who 'learn't the rules' and think they still know them - I get far more issues with their out of date understanding (normally on penalties) than those who don't have a clue either way!

A

Alex1975

If they were slow and you were a fast one ball regardless of the "rule"... On an evening after work why the hell not just get out of the way?

I tent to use 2,3,4 balls in the evenings if I get up behind a group, keeps me out of there way.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good shooting! Bet you wish you'd shot the 2 ball in front!
I can't get my head around the idea that thou shall not pass mentality. It makes it much more pleasant for all concern to let you pass and then you all play at a comfortable pace without any pressure.

Cheap Japanese import zips....... :(

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wtf? Seriously, an evening after work and they know they are holding you up and they don't let you through because they think they aren't allowed to. Even if the rule hadn't been changed, what did they think would happen? They'd get kicked out of the club because they let you through?!!

The lack of common sense in some people is terrifying.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Personally I feel you should focus on the positives.
You had a great round and got to work on your chipping and putting on your actual greens, which you don't often get a chance to do.
You also managed to fit in a full round of golf after work ... how many people actually get to do that in this day and age?

So you got stuck behind some slow people, who gives a sh!t? How long did the round take in total? and how much longer is that than it normally would be?

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Wtf? Seriously, an evening after work and they know they are holding you up and they don't let you through because they think they aren't allowed to. Even if the rule hadn't been changed, what did they think would happen? They'd get kicked out of the club because they let you through?!!

The lack of common sense in some people is terrifying.

Agreed.
"We'd let you through but we can't"

I'd rather have you out of my way no matter how patient you were.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they were playing 18, the 'rule' also states that people playing a full round have priority over anyone playing a shortened round.

:whistle:

Still no reason why common sense can't take over though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
the irony of this post is that he thought he did know the rules!

there are a huge number of people who 'learn't the rules' and think they still know them - I get far more issues with their out of date understanding (normally on penalties) than those who don't have a clue either way!

The REAL irony could well be that the OP didn't check whether they were playing 18 or merely 9, like him!

But the 2-ball has been brought 5 and a half years up to date! Though some clubs have been known to specify times/conditions where singles don't have automatic 'right of way'

Agree re 'common sense' though. Even in the 'old' days, singles could be let through - just that there was no obligation!

Joining up not considered?

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is sad that people still hide behind the rule book even when their knowledge is way out of date. Surely common sense should prevail. I often play on my own after work and if I am catching groups up and there is no one behind I don't mind just playing around on the green and working on my chipping. I use these nine holes for practice anyway and rarely worry too much about scores, sometimes playing two balls or deliberately hitting a shorter than normal club off the tee to leave and unusual yardage in

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
It is sad that people still hide behind the rule book even when their knowledge is way out of date. Surely common sense should prevail. I often play on my own after work and if I am catching groups up and there is no one behind I don't mind just playing around on the green and working on my chipping. I use these nine holes for practice anyway and rarely worry too much about scores, sometimes playing two balls or deliberately hitting a shorter than normal club off the tee to leave and unusual yardage in

I did this tonight played 13 holes let the groups in front of me get 2 holes ahead by playing several balls at each hole (there was no one behind me) had a great evening hitting balls from fairway bunkers, irons off the tee etc and still got round in under 2 hours

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

True. If I'm on my own I tend to prefer to play the course in any order that's quiet so I can take my time, rehit anything I get wrong, practice certain shots etc. Score doesn't really matter, and I hate feeling like I'm rushing another group. The only thing doing this is you sometimes wonder how slow others have managed to play. I once caught up a two ball on our 6th so went to play 12/13/14 to give myself some room, got back on the 6th after that and had practically caught them up again 2 holes later - so in the time they'd played 2 and teed off their third, I'd played 5. Was so glad I snuck off, I can't chip for THAT long.