When you think today isn't your day - a personal best, medal win & cut

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You wouldn't make a mystery write Oddsocks, you gave away the finish in the title !

Well done, just shows you never know when a good score is just around the corner. Single figures before the end of the year ?

if im realistic ill say no bloody chance. my aim was 12 by august which is do able. but for my i see to many faults and inconsistencies in my game to think about singles digits yet. My short game really needs to come on alot for that to be even a thought so before i even think about that im fogetting about it. 12 and i will be pretty happy. if i could get lower then it would be great.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played on Saturday at Nairn and it was at least a 3-4 club wind going out. Could not play any low runners as the fringes are so soft the first bounce is about as far as the ball gets. Temp was only about 3 or 4 deg so the ball wasn't flying at all. Level par though but only on the shorter winter course.

I much prefer hitting into the wind than with it behind anyway, much easier to control. Last year played with a mate at an open at Brora into a four club wind , Driver only went 200 at most. So was playing Driver,3 wood and Punch 9 iron on most of the holes going out. Only a couple over. The back 9 much harder to control started to gust was hitting a pitching wedge 150 yards plus and kept flying the greens. Could not bump and run either wind still got hold of it.

At least another 7 weeks till our season starts up here.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Patrick, how are the courses looking now as i guess the winter took its toll on them.

Justone. cheers mate, starting to think sticking by the new pro is paying off. when he saw my card he asked why i wasnt impressed even though id won. i explained about the putts and he agreed that we needed to fix it. He's been good as after 3 lessons on fault fixing the long game (which no doubt is a work in motion) he has always asked what area's im struggling with at each lesson and then focused on curing them. I think the fact im not as blinded as beleiving my bag only has a 52 & 58* wedge is helping big time too. Fringe chipping with anything down to a 7i is getting me closer to the hole for par saves even though the putting let down the big scores. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Patrick, how are the courses looking now as i guess the winter took its toll on them.

Not too bad, better than last year anyway. Though we had snow for almost 2 months we had much less that last time. No where near as much snow Mold (fuserium). We do still tend to get snow up until mid March or later in parts of the highlands. Cairngorms can still get snow up until mid/end April like they did last year. Boat of Garten and Spey Valley only got ride of the snow the week before the forum meet last year. Most of the links courses are fine, I managed to get a couple of Games at Brora at Christmas and New Year. I would imagine the Parkland courses are suffering its been very wet the last few weeks then you get a heavy frost on the odd day. On the whole its pretty good up here for links golf, lots of courses that drain well and don't suffer too much frost due to the location. Fortrose for instance is on a sandbank in the middle of the Moray Firth and very rarely suffers a frost, drains very well, but is probably the windiest course of all and the wind is always across you.

Well worth a trip up here as we have over 30 courses within 50 miles of Inverness and all are reasonably priced and some of these are Must plays for any golfer. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done Oddsocks. Sadly I'm going up rather than down. I can't get a consistent round going at all and my short game is crucifying me. Never mind. Always next week and I'm telling myself I don't want to peak too soon!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Region, We will find out this weekend when I get out. Thing is now down to 13.6 is only dropped me from 15 to 14, need to get another two or three off before I'll feel the pressure, :)

Homer I wouldn't worry you know how this game is, I could go back up in the next lot of medals