Fitting opportunities

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does turning up for fitting wearing jeans get you thrown out?
Can we use mobiles during a fitting?
Is there a HNSP to use whilst being fitted?:D

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Well with the greatest of respect, might the message be 'subscribe numbnuts' as you get the magazine cheaper, usually some free gift and now a better chance of winning some stuff. ;) After all it is a golf mag, and I'm sure if someone can afford to play this wonderful game of ours they can afford to subscribe, especially if they are buying the thing anyway. They were doing a half price subscription offer last week which made it as cheap as chips.

England Golf do offers that are £5 for 5 copies/months and then a reduced amount of only £16 for the remaining year, you gotta sniff the deals out :smirk:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest i don't enter all of them, just a select few. However it is good to know the methodolgy behind the selection process. I also don't have a problem if it was only open to subscribers ( although from a marketing point of view you are losing potential would be subscribers). I do like reading people's write ups it's nice to see and read what a great day they had.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Morning all
I’ve been meaning to do a post on ‘fitting opportunities’ for a while so seems like an apt time given the all the recent ones and the thread on what you’d applied for

You are unlikely to be selected if…
  • You’ve been selected before (although we have had folks being selected twice if they are the best candidate and there aren’t others who are suited to a particular opportunity
  • If you’ve got a bag full on new gear/just bought a new driver and it’s a driver fitting etc. My view is there are others more deserving of the opportunity to bag some new kit and as we are always looking to show an improvement then that will be hard for those who have been recently fitted.
  • You give the impression in your posts/general forum behavior you’d be hard work to manage on the day. The GM team haven’t got the time to man mark another adult or be worrying that you’ll embarrass GM/The Forum in front of our partners.
  • Related to that your application will be binned without consideration if you’ve got a live infraction

You do realise that in every application from now on everyone's bag will mostly consist of a brassie, spoon, wooden cleek, mashie iron, jigger and mashie niblick.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How do you know who subscribes and who doesn't? Perhaps give subscribers a small badge or logo underneath the name and avatar?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
How do you know who subscribes and who doesn't? Perhaps give subscribers a small badge or logo underneath the name and avatar?
If we were introduced this I'd ask for applicants who were subscribers to quote a subscriber number or postcode then it can be easily x checked against the subscriber database

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Mike, does being a fellow Evertonian get me any brownie points......? :)
Sounds like there's a couple of exciting opurtunities coming up, any timescale as when they will be announced?
ha ha! Tempted though I would be to give an advantage to a fellow toffee I'm very even handed. hell, I even employ two liverpool fans!
in terms of future opportunities I will be posting up a PING one next week

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Mike
For me and a few others North of the Border it is not the cost or "can't be arsed making the effort" for what is on offer, it is the time needed to get there and to be there.

For an early morning start you would have to come down the night before whether by plane, car or train, so it is almost a two day event rather than one

I appreciate that the costs involved in getting a team anywhere further than a couple of hours from London and the majority of the UK population is within that 2 hour radius

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a very valid point, up until recently I just purchased the mag from which ever outlet I was in, never missed a month. I'm lucky enough now to be a subscriber after my other half bought me a subscription for Christmas.

but i'm sure there are many may others who buy the magazine regularly without missing a copy, but do not subscribe, so to be "considering reserving 1 or 2 spaces on future opportunities for GM subscribers to offer a bit of extra value to folk who put their hand in their pocket and pay for the content we produce." is maybe a little harsh to those who buy the mag on a monthly basis without a subscription.

The only trouble for GM is they don't actually know who does or doesn't buy the mag every month from their local newagent but do know who they address a mag to each month and want to thank them for their support. It may be harsh but fair at the same time.

Great offers for us from GM and the manufacturers and still hoping to get picked some time.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
ha ha! Tempted though I would be to give an advantage to a fellow toffee I'm very even handed. hell, I even employ two liverpool fans!
in terms of future opportunities I will be posting up a PING one next week

Bet that makes for some interesting Monday morning coffee breaks!
I may have to change who I support to erm Plymouth Argyle knowing this information. :whistle:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If we were introduced this I'd ask for applicants who were subscribers to quote a subscriber number or postcode then it can be easily x checked against the subscriber database

I hope the check is on the delivery postcode otherwise it is my mother who qualifies as she gets my subscription for Xmas

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site
Does not being a club member affect your chances Mike? I ask because the couple I've applied for (I don't apply to them if it's not brand/kit I really covet!!) have both asked about club membership.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Supporting Plymouth Argyle Andy808 I have for 46 years but its done my golf no good so far and
up til now I was a subscriber :) Dont Diss the Green Army :{

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Supporting Plymouth Argyle Andy808 I have for 46 years but its done my golf no good so far and
up til now I was a subscriber :) Dont Diss the Green Army :{

Nothing wrong with Argyle at all and I wasn't dissing them in any way shape or form. As a Liverpool supporter, which is quite aparrent from some of the threads OOB forum, I am mearly trying to help my chances of getting picked.:thup:

I have been to see Argyle play a few times with a mate of mine who is an avid fan and had some great evenings watching them.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thats ok Andy but not sure it helps at all.
Think I might re start my subscription and get my handicap down to under 16 to give myself more of a chance.
As Mike said some manufactures specify the level of golfer they want and you would assume they would want
the "better" golfers to test there equipment which is a shame because the "better" golfers generally already have
the better equipment.

MattM

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does not being a club member affect your chances Mike? I ask because the couple I've applied for (I don't apply to them if it's not brand/kit I really covet!!) have both asked about club membership.

Hi, I'd be interested to know this one as well. Also the handicap requirement. If I enter I state that I am a nomad (regular society golfer) with an unofficial handicap. Is this likely to count against?

Just interested to know whether I need to start telling the wife that club membership is going to work out cheaper :)