Fitting opportunities

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Morning all
I’ve been meaning to do a post on ‘fitting opportunities’ for a while so seems like an apt time given the all the recent ones and the thread on what you’d applied for

Opportunity vs Competition
Almost everything we post up on the forum is an opportunity NOT a competition. Competitions – usually featured on the mag and entered on the site – only involve you answering a question and winners are picked at random by the Stephen Hawkings super computer our data people have. Applications for opportunities are reviewed by GM staff…

The selection process
There has been a lot of conjecture about this recently and although I have posted some guidance in the past its worth refreshing everyone on our working.

You are unlikely to be selected if…
  • You’ve been selected before (although we have had folks being selected twice if they are the best candidate and there aren’t others who are suited to a particular opportunity
  • If you’ve got a bag full on new gear/just bought a new driver and it’s a driver fitting etc. My view is there are others more deserving of the opportunity to bag some new kit and as we are always looking to show an improvement then that will be hard for those who have been recently fitted.
  • You give the impression in your posts/general forum behavior you’d be hard work to manage on the day. The GM team haven’t got the time to man mark another adult or be worrying that you’ll embarrass GM/The Forum in front of our partners.
  • Related to that your application will be binned without consideration if you’ve got a live infraction

Other factors…
  • I like to include a mix of stalwarts, newbies, older and younger forumers, different playing abilities (so long as applicable) and try to get a decent geographical spread in.
  • Sometimes we get asked by brands to select types of golfer be it defined by playing ability, age or current product used
I realise this is a little at odds with what Jake wrote the other day about it being a lot down to pot luck but as the small print always says… the editor’s decision if final in all matters!

Future opportunities
There are a couple of crackers in the offing so stay tuned!

I’ll be upfront here and say we are considering reserving 1 or 2 spaces on future opportunities for GM subscribers to offer a bit of extra value to folk who put their hand in their pocket and pay for the content we produce.

However I’d always want to have a forum presence in their and any changes unlikely to be before the summer. If you’re a forum member who subscribes to the mag then you’ll have double the chance!

Write-Ups
No one is under ANY obligation to write up their day here and certainly no one is required to post positive reports of the day and reviews of the kit.

I’d hope we get positive feedback in the form of posts/reports because it was an enjoyable day where those selected got fitted for product that gave an improvement in performance.

A bugbear for a number of folk I know but the reality is most brands are based in the South East and our offices are in London so it would be a waste of staff time and budgets (neither of which are in great supply) to send one, possibly two, journos and a photographer to a location that will involve us incurring flight/hotel costs and extra time out of the office traveling.

When there is an opportunity to use a northern/Scottish fitting centre (as we did with Titleist 714 fitting) then we’ll consider the option to do that.

I have to say if you can’t be arsed to at least show a bit of willing in order to travel in return for free kit and a good day out then you’ll probably be waiting a while for an opportunity to come to your back garden.

We have and will continue to consider offering to pay travel/hotel costs for those willing to travel south. This is done on an ad hoc basis. I will take into account how much kit we think you’re going to get (sometimes brands go to town and deliver a lot more than they’d told us they’d fit forumers for) and also the more positive your contributions are to the forum are the more generous I’m likely to be in offering to pay for flights/hotel etc.

Hope that gives a bit of insight into the whole process/thinking etc

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the info Mike, I'm glad it's not just pot luck as having had to turn down the Benross opportunity due to work I'd have more luck with the lottery than getting a random pick again :)

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if you have had an infraction in the past does that mean you are "hard to manage" and will never really be in the running or does it depend on what went on?

Thx

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shouldnt us good looking blokes get preferrence to the ugly ones, as we will look much better on camera and make a better advert for GM.....after all, sex sells :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Mike,

Nice to know how the process works. Not sure if I class myself as hard to handle or not. On a night out, maybe, but in polite company I tend to know how to behave I think (wife may not agree) ;)

Here's hoping of something from Wilson Staff or Ping later in the year.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
So if you have had an infraction in the past does that mean you are "hard to manage" and will never really be in the running or does it depend on what went on?

Thx
very much depends upon what went on! its more about general forum manner TBH

D

Deleted member 15344

Zero chance of getting an opportunity then - now know not to bother :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Thx

very much depends upon what went on! its more about general forum manner TBH

My infractions are like speeding tickets, just as they are expired and I get a clean licence, I get caught again :(

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification Mike although to be honest it shouldn't be necessary. The opportunities are awesome and to even be in with a shout is worth the subscription fee alone - oh and a stunning mag too of course!! I honestly love the suspense of waiting for an email and checking and refreshing etc etc and also love hearing about how great a time those that are lucky to be selected have.

Is that enough flattery to enhance my chances next time :p

Seriously though - for GM to give us the chance to hope and dream is good enough for me :)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good to see/hear how it's done 'in the tower'.

I might add, and I've posted this in another thread, that's it's an experience us mere mortal amateur golfers will probably never have even if we could afford to pay for it. For that reason I made the 1000 mile round trip, paid for flights, overnight stay, taxi (G1BBO and Rooter kindly gave me a lift for part of the journey, thanks again fellas) and 2 days off work. I offset some of the costs by selling my old gear when I got back. I posted a detailed thread afterwards with pics and videos because I wanted to, it's good to share!

The GM run opportunities are organised well, nearly always have 'extras', make you feel 'special' for the day and provide you with expertise and 'kit' free of charge with no 'coached' or leading questions, just an expectation to behave in a professional manner and represent GM and the supplier respectfully.

apologies for going on, just sharing my experience which might help others.