First video lesson today.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Had my first video lesson today.

Watching the clips in slo-mo, and frame by frame, really does show up what's what.

Once again, my posture is letting me down, and having too much weight over the heels. This in turn is putting the club in a very toe up position. So we first tried correcting that. Bend from the hips, not the head, and less knee bend, with more weight towards the toes. It's a work in progress.

My grip is still slightly too strong. This combined with not releasing and rolling the wrists enough, and letting the left arm control things too much, is apparently the reason for the pushs, push/fades. He then got me exagerating the rolling of the wrists, which gave the biggest hook I've done for a long time. Then I weakened my grip slightly. Good grief, a tiny amount of fade, and sometimes a tiny amount of draw. But either way the ball ended up in the same place.

I also grip the club too tightly, which isn't helping as my left arm is blocking some shots out to the right. Combined with the not wrist action. Not good.

I was expecting to see some dropping on the inside on the downswing, as I used to do quite badly and get the club trapped behind me. His comment was that he was quite happy with the swing path and plane.

The other aspect was that I have quite a languid pitching swing, but not with the longer clubs where it all gets a little tense. Something else I need to work on, but is covered by the above points.

All in all. Video lessons certainly suit my way of learning, but then again, then always did in other sports, both as a pupil and as an instructor.

Apart from anything else it gives some nice video to post on here for folks to take the mick out of, err, make some constructive comments. ;)

Link to video below. Any comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5bkJKPwTE

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say that doesn't look too bad at all and some pretty good things going on. Rome wasn't built in a day and so the changes will take time to fell natural and blend in. Can't beat a good video analysis to see the errors in full gory detail but also the improvement when you've put the work in. Keep at it

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
WIsh my range was that level.

My only thing would be it looks like your standing very close to the ball, hands look very close to the man jewels ;) but then again it depends what club your hitting

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Just been looking at the slo-mo side by side with Tigers. My clubface is definately more open at the top of the back swing. I guess possibly caused the the slightly strong grip? Which I've probably got because of the non rotation of the wrists at impact and trying to prevent a slice. I dunno though!!??

Ah well. Hopefully the advice I got today will help with that. In fact I've got just the thing to help with wrist release. :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
WIsh my range was that level.

My only thing would be it looks like your standing very close to the ball, hands look very close to the man jewels ;) but then again it depends what club your hitting

7 iron.

Once we started working on the posture the hands naturally came a bit further away, and the shaft angle at set up was slightly steeper.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Some might think that what I did today might be at odds with the business. Far from it. I've always been a keen advocate of lessons, both as a pupil and an instructor. Though having discussed lessons in general with Pros, most admit that their pupils rarely go away and practice what they've been taught, and thus never really improve from one lesson to the next.

Golf training aids (the right ones for what you're trying to achieve), can aid that learning practice. I know that by using one or two items that we sell, whilst practicing, will get me hitting the ball better. A new set of bats or a new driver won't. But I did need the guidence of the video lesson to get me started in the right direction, so to speak.

This wasn't meant to be a piece of marketing spiel, but I'd thought that I should clarify my reasoning behind the lesson. Just in case.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is all the training aids in the world could be great but the need to be used right. It's good to see yourself on video, I have a video lesson atleast once a month.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
...My grip is still slightly too strong. This combined with not releasing and rolling the wrists enough, and letting the left arm control things too much, is apparently the reason for the pushs, push/fades. He then got me exagerating the rolling of the wrists,

Wrist roll is a bad thing isn't it? If you roll your wrists you are altering the alignment of the club face i.e rolling your wrists clockwise opens the club face, anti-clockwise closes the club face.

A common club face check is halfway back and halfway through position, like 3 oclock and 9 oclock, the leading edge of the club face should be pointing straight up.

Nice looking swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Once again, my posture is letting me down, and having too much weight over the heels. This in turn is putting the club in a very toe up position. So we first tried correcting that. Bend from the hips, not the head, and less knee bend, with more weight towards the toes. It's a work in progress.

My grip is still slightly too strong. This combined with not releasing and rolling the wrists enough, and letting the left arm control things too much, is apparently the reason for the pushs, push/fades. He then got me exagerating the rolling of the wrists, which gave the biggest hook I've done for a long time. Then I weakened my grip slightly. Good grief, a tiny amount of fade, and sometimes a tiny amount of draw. But either way the ball ended up in the same place.

I also grip the club too tightly, which isn't helping as my left arm is blocking some shots out to the right. Combined with the not wrist action. Not good.

I was expecting to see some dropping on the inside on the downswing, as I used to do quite badly and get the club trapped behind me. His comment was that he was quite happy with the swing path and plane.

Sounds very similar to the Michael Breed incident where he was giving out WRONG ADVICE... you even hit the same... 'biggest hook I've done for a long time".

People have written articles about it...
http://goarticles.com/article/Ball-Flight-Laws-and-Their-Effects-on-Teaching/2806764/

Here's the vid....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5oBwzTLBJc

It's even called "Everything that is wrong with golf instruction".

Good luck :p

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
On a good day my shape is a soft draw. Bad day is a push fade, creeping to a slice on a really bad day.

If that's so then it's your swingpath that needs to be more in.to.out, that's about it.

If your clubface were a constant 7° open to the target for all shots...

swingpath is 10° in.to.out on a good day (soft draw)
swingpath is 5° in.to.out on a bad day (push fade)
swingpath is 0° in.to.out on a really bad day (slice)

FWIW: Rolling the wrists will close the clubface and you'll hook it all day, so you have to weaken your grip to stop the hooks and now you've applied two fixes that cancel each other out, neither of which you needed, and possibly ended up with a weaker grip that'll have you slicing the life out of the ball on one of your 'really bad days'.