First handicap question

Seamer

Hacker
Visit site
I've just received my first official (Cognu) handicap, but it's lower than I was expecting. I've been playing since April last year and I've just started to regularly break 90, I handed my best scorecard in of 86 (+15) (SSS 70) with no worse than a double bogey on the card.

By my very basic understanding of how initial handicaps are calculated that would've got me a handicap of 16, but I've been given 14, does that sound right?

If anyone could explain why that would be great :D

Cheers!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They added a new calculation a little while back. You take your best card compared to SSS, multiply by 0.91 then round down I think (usually ends up 2 below best card compared to SSS)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you were 15 over par I don't know why you were expecting to be given higher than that as a handicap. 14 sounds right to me.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just received my first official (Cognu) handicap, but it's lower than I was expecting. I've been playing since April last year and I've just started to regularly break 90, I handed my best scorecard in of 86 (+15) (SSS 70) with no worse than a double bogey on the card.

By my very basic understanding of how initial handicaps are calculated that would've got me a handicap of 16, but I've been given 14, does that sound right?

If anyone could explain why that would be great :D

Cheers!

As Fundy said, it's your best adjusted card (as you said there was no adjustment needed) which was 16 over SSS of 70. That 16 is multiplied by 0.9135 and the result truncated. Therefore 14.616 becomes 14.