First ever putter fitting

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My local American Golf had the Tour Truck there today & they were offering free putter fittings. I took along my collection, having had a few problems recently & gave it a go. The AG guy was very patient & analysed my performance with a couple of my weapons. It turned out my aim was around 99%, which surprised me a bit & that my arc was quite pronounced, which didn't surprise me at all.

After a good session he recommended a putter with a lot of toe hang & warned me off any face balanced models. Looking at the putters I brought, the one with the most toe hang was the one I feel most comfortable with. I have been looking enviously at a used Odyssey milled model but this proved to be unsuitable because the weight kit wasn't available so I saved myself a bit of money.

A really useful experience & I am tempted to get out an old Ping blade I've got & put a thick grip on it, another thing i was recommended to try. The guy said my method was similar to Mickleson's, although not quite as effective!

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How do you know which are toe hang and face balance?

And also what other types is there.. I was only aware of blade and Mallet style putters.

Tho can't say I have ever had a putter fitting done but does sound worth while.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Suprised to hear you struggling with putting Bill when I saw you earlier this year your putting was like poetry in motion.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
How do you know which are toe hang and face balance?

And also what other types is there.. I was only aware of blade and Mallet style putters.

Tho can't say I have ever had a putter fitting done but does sound worth while.

4-pane-putters-e1364420414217_zpslv4lnvnj.jpg

I currently play a face balanced blade :thup:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Never bothered about it myself.

Of my two bags the Odyssey is moderate toe hang and the J Crowley & Sons I'd describe as " extreme toe hang", it's almost vertical.

(Of course I putt like a God with both of them. ;))

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My local American Golf had the Tour Truck there today & they were offering free putter fittings. I took along my collection, having had a few problems recently & gave it a go. The AG guy was very patient & analysed my performance with a couple of my weapons. It turned out my aim was around 99%, which surprised me a bit & that my arc was quite pronounced, which didn't surprise me at all.

After a good session he recommended a putter with a lot of toe hang & warned me off any face balanced models. Looking at the putters I brought, the one with the most toe hang was the one I feel most comfortable with. I have been looking enviously at a used Odyssey milled model but this proved to be unsuitable because the weight kit wasn't available so I saved myself a bit of money.

A really useful experience & I am tempted to get out an old Ping blade I've got & put a thick grip on it, another thing i was recommended to try. The guy said my method was similar to Mickleson's, although not quite as effective!

How did they measure your alignment?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
How did they measure your alignment?
There's a target about 6 feet away & a bar attached to the sensor linked to the laptop. The bar is aimed exactly at the target & you line up your putter with the bar. You hit 5 putts & the sensor compares where the clubface is at impact with the recorded square position. It gives you info on the arc, where the clubface is, what the effective loft is & a lot of other info. Very interesting & informative.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putter fitting is great.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Me, my face balance mallet and my V-Easy have spent many happy hours together on a deserted putting green.

Knowing you can't aim also helps you to improve... :whistle:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well, I went out today & used a putter I've never played a round with before & a type I'm scared of. It's a 40+ year old Ping blade with a 140cc SNSR grip which I fitted this morning. I may be imagining it but the extra toe hang seemed to square the face at impact & I hit virtually every putt exactly where I wanted. Just missed three 30+ feet putts & only missed one holeable one through a misread. I've never used a pure blade for years and it felt weird but I just let it swing down with no effort to control the direction and the ball seemed to go off in the intended direction every time.

The putter felt a bit too light so now I'm looking for an Odessey Milled Collection with removable weights because I think an Anser style putter with enough weight in the toe will be ideal. I need to sell a few first so offers please:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?88364-For-Sale-Wilson-8881-Putter-counterbalanced

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?88365-For-sale-Cleveland-2135-1-putter-little-used

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bearing in mind how much a putter is used it makes sense (if you are that way inclined) to get a fitting. I had a session in a Sam Lab which was eye opening and has definitely influenced my putter buying decisions since.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well, I went out today & used a putter I've never played a round with before & a type I'm scared of. It's a 40+ year old Ping blade with a 140cc SNSR grip which I fitted this morning. I may be imagining it but the extra toe hang seemed to square the face at impact & I hit virtually every putt exactly where I wanted. Just missed three 30+ feet putts & only missed one holeable one through a misread. I've never used a pure blade for years and it felt weird but I just let it swing down with no effort to control the direction and the ball seemed to go off in the intended direction every time.

The putter felt a bit too light so now I'm looking for an Odessey Milled Collection with removable weights because I think an Anser style putter with enough weight in the toe will be ideal. I need to sell a few first so offers please:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?88364-For-Sale-Wilson-8881-Putter-counterbalanced

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?88365-For-sale-Cleveland-2135-1-putter-little-used
Have considered just adding some Lead tape to the head and see if it gets any better?