First Competition - Eeeekkkkk

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, I have my first ever competition on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

I've entered the higher handicap section of our Club Championship! I play off 22. It's a stableford format.

Do any of you have any tips for me that will help me get through it?

Cheers!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Just try to play as you would in a normal round of golf. Try not to get mad at yourself after a bad shot. Don't think about your score, just write the result down after every hole and get on with it. If in doubt about the rules at some point, ask your co-competitors before you do anything stupid. Take water and some snacks. Enjoy.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's just a game of golf, make sure you are ready to play when it's your turn. Tell your fellow competitors that it's your first comp that way they will know how to help you. If you are unsure how to mark a card tell the person who's card you are marking. Those are the basics you will need don't want to fill your head with all sorts of things. Is there anything specific you are not sure about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't chase a score. If you have a bad hole don't go chasing a miracle shot next hole. Accept it and walk on.

Easy to say but try to enjoy it. It took me a good few years before I could enjoy competition golf and that was a shame.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All good advice above, as for the first tee you will be nervous but try to do the following.

1. Imagine you're at the driving range, picture where you normally drive the ball to, do it with that level of nonchalance.

2. Slow down. Everything, the tendancy will be to rush the swing and get it over, make a nice slow smooth swing and send the ball out, dont kill it, once you're away it's just another game with fellow golfers and you'll settle in fine.

Most of all - have fun! It just a game of golf and no one is going to think any differently of you if you come home with a trophy or 0.1. Regardless, win or lose, there's always next time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just enjoy it, don't add your scores up until you've finished, just take each shot as it comes (forget the bad ones), and ask people if you're unsure on any rules or what you should be doing.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The night before, I like to clean my clubs and visualise each hole. helps calm my mind.

Get to the course early, relax, warm up, do some putting. But don't over do it. I read a tip once to start your warm up with putting and end on the range with the club you are taking on the first tee. Not sure if this works or not.

Get to the first tee early. No point rushing up with 1 minute to go! Meet your fellow PPs and tell them its your first comp, unsure of XYZ etc. they'll help you.

RELAX. You are a 22 handicapper. Accept it and don't try to destroy the course and shoot -5!

First tee. you are bound to be nervous, so take a club you trust and get your first tee shot away. even if it is a 5 iron! Relax and take advantage of your shots. Don't worry if your PPs all blast a driver! Just play your own game. Even if on a par 5 if you reach the green with three hits of your 7 iron, what is wrong with that?

Play each shot as it comes. If something goes wrong, accept it and move on.

Relax and enjoy the day. If your PPs are very serious and the banter is limited, just focus on your game.

Deep breathing helps. Calms your mind. relax your grip try not to tense up.

Also, I get very conscious of people watching me. I think I must not muck up, hit a duff shot etc. Then a few holes later, one of my PPs, who are nearly always better than me, will carve a tee shot into the next county! So we all make mistakes.

Just try and enjoy the day. if you play well, great. And if you don't, well your mortgage doesn't depend on it and there is always next week!

D

Deleted member 21258

Its only a game and a game you are playing out of choice and in your own time.

Remind yourself of it if things don't go well.

Enjoy, relax, make sure you are not swinging with a faster than normal tempo. Best of luck.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Remember that as a new 22 handicapper everyone will assume you're a bandit. So they'll actually like you more if you're miles over your handicap. 😁

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
i've never played a golf competition but played competitive darts at an insignificant level so i know all about nerves. what i used to do was drink 14 pints of mild. relaxed me no end. hope this helps.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever you do hand in the card. My first was also a medal and I shot 103.

Even if you NR a hole keep scoring the rest and hand in the card.

Now is no the time to start bad habits.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Enjoy. Go out and have fun and forget trying to make a score. If you hit it somewhere bad or do something and you aren't sure how to proceed, speak to your partners before touching the ball. Ask if you have questions, make sure you don't do the obvious daft things like playing glory shots from knee high rough and don't mark the card on the green etc. Come back and tell us how well you played

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should you have a good score at the end, don't forget to sign your card. This happens frequently to fairly new golfers in the excitement of handing in a potential winning score.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers chaps!

I suppose what I'm worried about is when to play a second tee shot; would your advice be 'when in doubt'?

Conscious I don't want to hold up my group and the one behind by going back to the tee!

Visit site
U
Cheers chaps!

I suppose what I'm worried about is when to play a second tee shot; would your advice be 'when in doubt'?

Conscious I don't want to hold up my group and the one behind by going back to the tee!

Nothing wrong with that approach, be sure that you announce that you're playing a provo though, and which ball is which

msbyrne

Visit site
Having played lots of competitions and never getting a cut I can say you must just try to enjoy yourself. You'll have plentiy of chances to score well, use this as a chance to have fun and relish the thrill of competing regardless of your score. Hope it goes well though!