First Competition - Eeeekkkkk

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
just go out and enjoy yourself, what's the worst that can happen especially given the fact you have 22 shots over 18 holes.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Remember it's a stableford and if you have a bad hole it doesn't matter a great deal in the scheme of things. Also remember that if you can't score on a hole pick your ball up to save time.

When I first started I put 1 mark on the holes the person I was scoring for got a shot on and 2 marks on the hole if they got two shots to help with scoring so you aren't rushing to work out the SI and their handicap, although most players will tell you their score e.g 4 for 3, but make sure if they just say a number you confirm if that's points or shots

Good luck

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Don't stress about it. You play golf for the fun if it. Don't go changing routines or making this bigger than it actually is. If you were meant to go out On a bender with mates the night before then do that. If you were meant to trim all the hedges in the garden then do that. If you were meant to see the mistress then do that. Etc etc.

Don't apologise for being new and a 22 handicap. Just do your best and have as much fun as possible. You will hit bad shots, you will blob at some point in 36 holes, you will make a birdie in there somewhere, you will go through every emotion possible but at the end of it you will add up the scores and that's all there is to it.

Enjoy

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like everyone has said so far, go out and enjoy it - or try to. Mention on the tee that it's your first comp, sure you'll be fine. Ask if your not sure about anything too. I was in your position last year and just worked my way around the course, asking various questions rather than getting something wrong.

Have a good one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers chaps!

I suppose what I'm worried about is when to play a second tee shot; would your advice be 'when in doubt'?

Conscious I don't want to hold up my group and the one behind by going back to the tee!

If your first tee shot goes into the trees and you think you might struggle to find it, waiting for everyone else to finish their tee shots, then announce you are playing a provisional tee shot, and say what ball it is. And try and make sure you stick that one in plain view! :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remember it's a stableford and if you have a bad hole it doesn't matter a great deal in the scheme of things. Also remember that if you can't score on a hole pick your ball up to save time.

When I first started I put 1 mark on the holes the person I was scoring for got a shot on and 2 marks on the hole if they got two shots to help with scoring so you aren't rushing to work out the SI and their handicap, although most players will tell you their score e.g 4 for 3, but make sure if they just say a number you confirm if that's points or shots

Good luck
At my place you don't even need to work out all the points like that - they told me just make sure the gross score is correct first and foremost and they will work out all the points regardless. Don't know if other clubs are the same though.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your first tee shot goes into the trees and you think you might struggle to find it, waiting for everyone else to finish their tee shots, then announce you are playing a provisional tee shot, and say what ball it is. And try and make sure you stick that one in plain view! :D

And don't take longer than 5 minutes looking for your ball or you will be shot.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Make sure your shoes are clean
Introduce yourself to the rest of your group
Hit it as few times as you need to to pop it in the hole
Practice your swear words the night before (nobody wants to mix up their expletives on the 1st tee)
After holing out on 18 take your hat off & say thanks to the others and shake hands (don't take off your cap and ruffle your sweat ridden mop then shake hands)

If you must pee in the trees during the round try and do it hands free (again shaking hands on 18 comes to mind)

Enjoy & good luck

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit of an update from me!

Thank you all for your advice!

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and met some nice chaps over the past two days!

The bad news, I scored 16 points on the Saturday and 20 points today which currently has me in last place :rofl:

Playing off the white tees has been a massive eye opener for me and I've realised that when my driver isn't behaving, it's a long, long, long course to get round!

I tried to be more cautious today and keep the driver in the bag, but even though I'm a long hitter, I still struggled (but only lost one ball the whole round!)

Lesson booked on Thursday!

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The bad news, I scored 16 points on the Saturday and 20 points today which currently has me in last place :rofl:

Playing off the white tees has been a massive eye opener for me and I've realised that when my driver isn't behaving, it's a long, long, long course to get round!

I tried to be more cautious today and keep the driver in the bag, but even though I'm a long hitter, I still struggled (but only lost one ball the whole round!)

I say well done, you will be much better for the experience and now you know what to expect.

Playing courses from the whites does put another perspective on it. if you can have a few practise rounds from the white tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Now you've popped your competitive cherry crack on and don't worry where you finish. I've been last more than once and once I get the obligatory banter in the clubhouse, they soon move on to another topic or part of the group. I hope the lesson sorts the issues out and just keep playing the comps and learn how to construct rounds and where you can and can't miss off the comp tees

G

guest100718

Like a dog with a bone.

Anyway - Thoroughly enjoyed myself and met some nice chaps over the past two days! this is all that matters.

Job done. Go again next week and try beat this weekend or enjoy yourself again.

Aye. lolz. ;)