First car to learn in - Fiat 500?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
My two boys practiced between lessons in my old station car that has long since gone to we scrap any car, a real thing i 'd never heard of

We now need the equivalent for my daughter which will also double as a 2nd car for when one us is at work./ away

Thinking a pre-owned Fiat 500 no more than £ 4,000

Any one owned one ? Experiences good or bad ?

Thanks

GBC

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When the 500 first came out Fiat did a deal with BSM driving school and got the contract to supply all their teaching cars for 2 years.
Research has shown that the car you learn in often becomes the first car so Fiat were, almost, doing a loss-leader
The instructors hated them but couldn't get out of having them..it would have cost BSM a fortune to get out of the contract
As soon as the 2 years were up they went back to Corsas....
Never driven one or been in one so can't help on that front.
But I think the fact that hardly any instructors use them says something.

D

Deleted member 3432

My wife has a Fiat 500, its a bit of a tin can but great for pottering about town in and you can park it on a sixpence.

Wouldn't want to go far in it but I did overtake an Audi in it last week when I was taking it to get a new tyre fitted :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife had one for a couple years, leased. Fun interior, always made her smile, but the engine, 1.4 petrol was utterly gutless and hard work to drive. It's a city car, not great for more than that.

She had no bother in it but then she only had it for 2 years so you would have been disappointed had it been different.

Personally I think there are better options, that engine haunted me, but if you are happy with it after a test drive then enjoy.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One of my neighbours has a Fiat 500. It's horrible. Another neighbour has a Fiat 500 Abarth. It's brilliant.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When the 500 first came out Fiat did a deal with BSM driving school and got the contract to supply all their teaching cars for 2 years.
Research has shown that the car you learn in often becomes the first car so Fiat were, almost, doing a loss-leader
The instructors hated them but couldn't get out of having them..it would have cost BSM a fortune to get out of the contract
As soon as the 2 years were up they went back to Corsas....
Never driven one or been in one so can't help on that front.
But I think the fact that hardly any instructors use them says something.
Modern Fiat 500s are a completely different beast to the originals - that were almost competitors to the 2CV (at least on the road). Roundly derided, though the Abarth version, with half the engine hanging out the back was a different beast!
One of the 'girls in the office' at an old workplace had one that sounded 'normal'. She loved it. Though being Italian herself, she might have been biased! An Uncle/Aunt had a Multipla (600cc 'wagon') that was nicknamed 'the hothouse'.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all

Think I need to broaden my search (that engine haunted me ?) a bit as though it'll mainly be for local driving / my daughter to practice in i still want to be able to grab it myself if the family cars js needed elsewhere (7 seats... / luggage space) and throw the club's in the back for a golf day etc...

GBC

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
If you want a small car that can still carry a decent amount, then you could look at the Skoda Fabia. Not stylish but practical and good value for money.
I think with the Fiat 500 you are definitely paying for style over substance.
There are a few hints here.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8331461/Best-second-hand-cars-4-000.html

That's very kind of you

Will have a proper read of the link later on

GBC

P.s Guilty as charged on style over substance and why I looked at the 500

4LEX

Visit site
The original 500's were massively underpowered and actually dangerous going up hills.

The new ones are much better. Not a fan myself but can't fault the looks!

Most cars are style over substance let's be honest. Push the boat out to £5k and get a Mini Cooper S R56 (second edition) with 50-60k on the clock. Ideal for a few years of light driving and incredible to drive.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The missus had one for a couple of years, she loved it, I hated the gutless wonder.
Hers suffered from a well documented fault where the electrical cables running into the top of the tailgate chaffs and causes all sorts of weird and wonderful warning lights to appear, fog lights to stop working etc. As I say, it's a well known fault with them and will require a new wiring harness to rectify, which costs a fortune from a Fiat dealer. I got a new one off of eBay, imported from Germany I think, which was a lot cheaper and sorted it out. Subsequently sold the car to my sister, she's had it for two years and loves it.
We had the bigger engined lounge version, which as I say was gutless.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I was to buy a car for someone to learn in I would look very carefully at the near side and rear vision. My understanding is that they have to learn to reverse using their eyes and not mirrors.

I had the VW Golf based Skoda for my kids but that was many years ago.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I went on Holiday for a week in Sicily. Hired a car and it was a fiat 500 with 11 km on the clock. First thing you do in Italy, check the horn. The horn and the car was brilliant. 7 days later I returned it with 1100 km on the clock. South to Syracuse and north to Taormina and anti clockwise around mount Etna. I could of slept in that car. Just loved it. So much so I said to Missis Tash am having a Fiat 500 Abarth one day. I took my car in for a service and some work to the garage and they gave me an Abarth. It was a bag of crap. It felt like sitting on a camel driving a car. I was gutted.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Use both...and the reversing camera(y)

I know it was along time ago but I heard a story about an examiner noting the testee was relying on the nearside mirror opening the window and knocking the mirror out of position.

Do you still put markers on the rear window for the leaners to use as gauges?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know it was along time ago but I heard a story about an examiner noting the testee was relying on the nearside mirror opening the window and knocking the mirror out of position.

Do you still put markers on the rear window for the leaners to use as gauges?
All over the shop...saw one car at the test centre the other day with individually coloured dots on the top of the door interior with the pupils initials on...reference point for the reverse bay park....looked very pretty..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My two boys practiced between lessons in my old station car that has long since gone to we scrap any car, a real thing i 'd never heard of

We now need the equivalent for my daughter which will also double as a 2nd car for when one us is at work./ away

Thinking a pre-owned Fiat 500 no more than £ 4,000

Any one owned one ? Experiences good or bad ?

Thanks

GBC
Worst car I have ever driven.
The pedals seemed high so you can drive in heels.( not me by the way they were only rumours);)
Gives you cramp in your calves
People look at you and your thinking “ why are you driving that”
I am 6’1” and it was my daughters not mine.
To be fair it never let her down, just not a tall man’s car imo

I learned in a 1970s mini now they were small.