Finding golf balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find plenty of golf balls both during my walks on the course and playing, probably between 100-200 a year but have never had this before.

Last time out on the 9 hole course had a very 'odd' experience of finding 5 balls all within a yard of each other. I was not looking deliberately for any just my own.

All balls were fairly clearly visible just a lot closer to the tee than one would normally be (I was hitting an only an iron myself).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find plenty of golf balls both during my walks on the course and playing, probably between 100-200 a year but have never had this before.

Last time out on the 9 hole course had a very 'odd' experience of finding 5 balls all within a yard of each other. I was not looking deliberately for any just my own.

All balls were fairly clearly visible just a lot closer to the tee than one would normally be (I was hitting an only an iron myself).

Best one I had was playing Wanstead golf club. Now like yourself a find balls on my travels , normally just throw them in the practice bag. However just in the semi rough of every hole almost (nobody on the course but us btw) almost unmarked pro v 1s .. found about 10 during the round. Always in findable places aswell. Some people more money than sense lol gave them to my mate I was playing with as he plays off single figures and I figured he would benefit far more from them than me

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If when looking for balls in the rough if I find any I’ll pick them up and leave them in a group on the fairway semi rough for anyone to pick up.

I have over the years picked up so many and brought them home just to leave in the garage so now I leave them for others to have.

Sometimes it can be as many as 5 or 6.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Green keepers will also sometimes leave balls for golfers to find.

My best experience was when playing a course immediately after Heinz had run a corporate golf day. Several hundred non golfers, all presented with a dozen Pro V's. All then proceeded to lose said Pro V's all over the course. I had to give up picking them up after a while as they wouldn't fit in my bag!!!!!!

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was a a course a year or back where the greenskeepers were cutting back a boundary hedge, there must have been 50 balls deposited on the side of the fairway.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I get to the first tee, where there is ball washer, I give them a good scrub and a lot of them get left on the first tee dependent on the make and condition.

We used to have regular junior academies and most of the balls used to go in the box for them to use. I tend to keep only the premium brand and others that I know players within my own group use.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I'm ball hunting and find ones I don't want and I know my PP won't want them I leave them in a small pile so someone else can find them.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was playing one evening last week and as I approached the 1st green up a steep hill there were 5 young lads that had 1 club between them, hitting balls onto the green. They saw me and stepped over the boundary fence and walked off. (I hadn’t said a word). They had left 7 balls around the green that were obvious pickups from the path beyond the fence

. I put 2 premium balls in my bag and left the rest in a pile next to the 2 tee for anyone who wanted them.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

My best experience was when playing a course immediately after Heinz had run a corporate golf day. Several hundred non golfers, all presented with a dozen Pro V's. All then proceeded to lose said Pro V's all over the course. I had to give up picking them up after a while as they wouldn't fit in my bag!!!!!!

Were they all no 57's ? Picking them up must have got you in a pickle, I bet you had to get a jog on to ketchup with your FC's

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Were they allowed to play mulligantawnys.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any I find on the course in reasonable condition that I don't want goes straight in the juniors box when I get back in. We had Brett Rumford using our practice facilities a couple of years ago and he'd hit 50-60 Pro V's wander and half heartedly pick a few up. Once he went back in I was out there like a whippet and helped myself to a dozen or so one hit balls. Happy days. I did see him a while after and did confess. He laughed and said it was fine

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not looking for balls, but a PP found his ball in a clump of grass at the bottom of the bell post. He played his ball out sideways and two came out. His ball had landed on top of another and he had not noticed. 😁

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Did you find your own ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Baldrick loved to hunt for Golf balls and we used to find lots, but all the rubbish ones, i used to leave near to a tee for others. His specialty was Srixons always found more of those than anything Esp at Torvean, around Dornoch, Tain and Nairn mostly Prov1s