Finding ball in the hole but after the 3 minute search

nyckuk

Visit site
This is a extreme example
You hit a ball from a blind spot towards the green , its coming in hot and you suspect its missed the green and in the rough/bushes at the back of the green.
After a 3 minute search you declared it lost but then find it in the hole .
As you've holed it and completed the hole ,does that override the lost ball 3 minute search or you should always check the hole as part of the search

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You hit a ball from a blind spot towards the green , its coming in hot and you suspect its missed the green and in the rough/bushes at the back of the green.
As you've holed it and completed the hole ,does that override the lost ball 3 minute search or you should always check the hole as part of the search

As Rulie says, but if there's a possibility of the ball being in the hole, you should check it out as part of your search to save time.
I'm not sure that it's an extreme example. I suspect it will have happened to many of us.

DickInShorts

Visit site
As Rulie says, but if there's a possibility of the ball being in the hole, you should check it out as part of your search to save time.
I'm not sure that it's an extreme example. I suspect it will have happened to many of us.
It happened to me - and was my first eagle!
Duffed second shot on par 5 at Sherborne (Dorset) hit 3rd and thought it had come up short into a small dip but it wasn’t there - nor had it run through the back. There it was hiding in the hole ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Mate of mine had an albatross at one of our par 5’s in just these circumstances. Misty morning and, whilst he could see the green was clear prior to playing his second, we couldn’t follow the ball flight all the way, albeit it was clearly a good shot.

A couple of minutes searching in the long stuff at the back of the green passed by before he checked the hole, and there it was.

Fella still hasn’t had an eagle.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course you can.
You just say ''my three minutes of searching are up so I declare the ball is lost''
I know what you are going to say but I don't care so don't bother. :D
After three minutes of searching, it is lost whether you say anything or not.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Great shot, nice eagle/birdie/whatever.

nyckuk

Visit site
A bit confused by a few comments at the the end

So just to clarify
You cant unmistakeably think the ball is lost and declared it lost and NR the hole as A ball in the hole trumps everything (stroke play/stableford )

Im guessing in Match play its different .If you concede the hole to your opponent before finding the ball in the hole , you've lost the hole

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit confused by a few comments at the the end

So just to clarify
You cant unmistakeably think the ball is lost and declared it lost and NR the hole as A ball in the hole trumps everything (stroke play/stableford )

Im guessing in Match play its different .If you concede the hole to your opponent before finding the ball in the hole , you've lost the hole
You can only concede a hole before you complete the hole - and as rulefan says, the hole is complete when the ball is holed. I guess you could concede while the ball is still in flight, but anything that is said or done after the ball drops is irrelevant.

nyckuk

Visit site
You can only concede a hole before you complete the hole - and as rulefan says, the hole is complete when the ball is holed. I guess you could concede while the ball is still in flight, but anything that is said or done after the ball drops is irrelevant.

ok
So in match play ,
I concede the hole as i think my ball is lost but its in the hole completed unknown to myself and opponent.
My opponent picks up their ball as i told them ive conceded where they could of putted the ball for a half/win.

If we use what Rulefan said , you could say Ive tricked my opponent into picking up their ball making them forfeit the hole and a win to me
It doesn't seem right .

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
ok
So in match play ,
I concede the hole as i think my ball is lost but its in the hole completed unknown to myself and opponent.
My opponent picks up their ball as i told them ive conceded where they could of putted the ball for a half/win.

If we use what Rulefan said , you could say Ive tricked my opponent into picking up their ball making them forfeit the hole and a win to me
It doesn't seem right .
The opponent simply replaces their ball and carries on without penalty. It can be resolved by the players themselves under 20.1.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The opponent simply replaces their ball and carries on without penalty. It can be resolved by the players themselves under 20.1.
Surely if the player has conceded then the other player has holed out in the number in strokes taken plus one, and has a concession cannot be rescinded the ball cannot be replaced. So the hole is won, drawn or lost based on the number ofcstrokes taken by the two players.

Funt1m3

Visit site
Mate of mine had an albatross at one of our par 5’s in just these circumstances. Misty morning and, whilst he could see the green was clear prior to playing his second, we couldn’t follow the ball flight all the way, albeit it was clearly a good shot.

A couple of minutes searching in the long stuff at the back of the green passed by before he checked the hole, and there it was.

Fella still hasn’t had an eagle.

Happened to me. A1 drive, A1 4 iron into the shadows. Outraged at the thought of a lost ball, only to find it in the hole
Rule me out the hole I don’t care, albatross :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
3.2b(2) is helpful

• If the opponent lifts his or her ball in breach of a Rule because of a reasonable misunderstanding that the player’s statement or action was a concession of the next stroke, a hole or the match, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before we had a perimeter fence around our 17th down hill par 3 , over tall trees, a partially blind tee shot .
The odd local comedian ned would retrieve a ball from OOB and put it in the hole, while the players were un-sighted walking down from the tee..:eek:.
If I had only thought to ask one of my nephews, I'm sure I could've had my Hole in one a lot sooner DOH! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: