Finally smashed it!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today was my first round of golf since losing the Help for Heroes day on count back. I woke up late so had to rush to the course, no usual warm up. It was a Xmas Spirit #3, its a competition run toward Christmas where there are 8 qualifying rounds, and your best 5 rounds are combined for the overall prize. I missed the first 2, so though I'd play today.

I've always been now to never be able to finish off a round, if I have 35 points with 3 to play, most of the time I will struggle to finish with anything over 38. After a blob on the first, I made a few of good up and downs to get back to level 2's going down the 5th. A birdie at 2 and 5 was a great start. After holing my birdie putt on 5, I told my playing partner that I'm fed up of not seeing a round out and that today I was going to smash it.

19 points after 9 followed by some of the best golf I have ever played.. Straight par's from 10-16, sloppy putt on 17 for bogey and finished with a par at 18. +1 gross for the back 9... 19 points out 25 points in. 44 points!

Short game was amazing, sticking my approaches close to the pin and lagging puts next to the flag..

Sadly, the score computer was setup for todays comp, so I will have to wait to find out where I finished.. It is a qualifier, so depending on CSS, I could see my handicap drop by down to 15. 82 strokes in all.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done mate. After playing with you at HFH (where you should have had 40 +), it's obvious you've got the game to be about 10 shots lower than you are:thup:

Hope you get a big cut!!

Any go pro action ??

D

Deleted member 15344

17 HC - 1 over gross for back 9 and 44 points ?!

Blimey

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done mate. Really chuffed for you, i know from chatting to you at Woodhall that you have been trying for this round for some time. Keep it going !!!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry Phil but it won't be a qualifier due to the 3rd hole...

Good scoring though!

Just checked and I won, but yes it seems its a non-qualifier :( - they were qualifiers last year, assumed the CSS would have been reduced due to the 3rd.

Atleast I get to keep my bandit handicap then :whoo:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good stuff - It happens doesn't it.

I played a winter k/o match against a 17hcapper yesterday - giving him 7 shots off front tees. I lost 3and1 but not too worried and no complaints. He played great and said it was certainly as good as he can play and his best ever play in a match. Off front tees so course playing a fair bit shorter (and on holes it really matters) he was able to play his hybrid and hit that brilliantly consistently down the middle 200yds+ every time. Birdied the first and had another 7 pars and a birdie. He holed every putt he had of under 6 foot.

I played pretty well only dropping 8 - but against his 7 pars and 2 birdies and a red hot putter I was up against it. But hey - I won the comp last year and as back-to-back victories is very rare in that comp may as well get my defeat out of the way early on.

And good luck to him - he could do well if he plays like that in next rounds!