Films

Pin-seeker

Visit site
We watched the Barbie movie. I didn't really think it was that great. You wouldn't expect this if you've not seen it, but it's high-concept stuff that doesn't make any sense. I guess there were a couple of funny parts, but the ending didn't have much of a pay-off either.
Could be the worst film I’ve ever seen.
Wasn’t expecting it to be great,but 🥴.
The mrs wanted to watch it & she thought it was rubbish 😊

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could be the worst film I’ve ever seen.
Wasn’t expecting it to be great,but 🥴.
The mrs wanted to watch it & she thought it was rubbish 😊
I wouldn't go that far, but I really couldn't understand the internal 'logic' of it. Like, how many people in the world know that Barbie dolls are in actual fact voodoo dolls controlling the lives of real living 'dolls' in some parallel universe? And why are they ok with this? Did the girl have no idea what her mum did for work before that point either? It was largely nonsense.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We watched the Barbie movie. I didn't really think it was that great. You wouldn't expect this if you've not seen it, but it's high-concept stuff that doesn't make any sense. I guess there were a couple of funny parts, but the ending didn't have much of a pay-off either.
I’m noticing this a lot in movies of recent times. Good stories revolve around characters that develop over time and story lines that have structure that builds up to a pay off.

It’s like somewhere along the line, the art of good story telling has been forgotten in favour of style with little substance and you end up not understanding what, how or why the ending is the way it is because there is no payoff or connection to much of the events either because they haven’t been described or, even better, let you witness them to form your own judgement, rather than just tell you that the protagonist is ace, just trust us on this one…

Anyway, that’s just my opinion. Bit “old guy in the pub” ranty, but there we are.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll will be watching Manhunter tonight at 11.15 on bbc 2 the prequall to The Silence of the Lambs and much better film.

Also it’s got Iron Butterfly’s ‘ In a Gadda da Vida ‘
soundtrack to the climax of the film which fits perfect to the story, it really is brilliant.

Absolutely great music track for the film and a piece of music I still listen to from time to time, brings back memories of Holloway Girls College in the 1960s when Sunday night was music night open to all and it used to get played most Sundays.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Absolutely great music track for the film and a piece of music I still listen to from time to time, brings back memories of Holloway Girls College in the 1960s when Sunday night was music night open to all and it used to get played most Sundays.

I listened to it when it first came out and not heard it for years until I watched the film, yes it was perfect for the film👍

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guiding Emily 2023, defo one for Amanda, with cute labrador puppies being trained as guide dogs. :ROFLMAO: :love:

Ooh not heard of it. Definitely one for me - and the dogs! :)

I keep starting the application form to be a guide dog puppy trainer. Just know I'd abscond when it came time to give it back...plus a teeny part of me feels sorry for service dogs as they have way less fun than a dog should (imho).

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lady Doon and I watched The Big Country the other night.
Absolutely fantastic film from !952.
Proper acting and the fact that the actors can actually ride a horse properly was very noticeable
Superb music

Makes you wonder, after Dances with Wolves can anyone name a decent modern Western.
Deliverance maybees.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lady Doon and I watched The Big Country the other night.
Absolutely fantastic film from !952.
Proper acting and the fact that the actors can actually ride a horse properly was very noticeable
Superb music

Makes you wonder, after Dances with Wolves can anyone name a decent modern Western.
Deliverance maybees.
You're kidding, right? Unforgiven, only a year after Dances with Wolves and one of the best westerns ever.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched Lost Bullet (Netflix)

great film for those that like fast cars, cops and crooks with a very unusual story line.

A warning
If you are going to watch it do not watch the trailer as it is a real spoiler, the scenes in the trailer come from very near to the end of the film.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Harmless fun like the others. Not sure I knew what was going on all the time, but it was alright. Adam Warlock seemed a pointless new character, he was just a bit stupid (when they already have a dumb character in Drax) and didn't really affect the plot very much. Drax had the best lines as usual. Groot was cool now he's back to full size.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watched Kingpin, forgot how much of an absolute belter it is.

Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray give brilliant sleazebag acts but Randy Quaid is just superb.

There’s just something about the comedies of the mid 90s that seems to be very much missing these days.

One of my all-time favourites. I remember watching it at the cinema with a collefmge mate and laughed so much I was almost crying

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got home after a few drinks and decided to watch something that took very little brain power, having looked through the list I settled on ‘Strays’. That is 2 hours of my life I’ll not be seeing again. Whilst not expecting an award winning production what a load of rubbish. Not funny in the slightest and the dialogue was 80%+ swearing. Avoid like the plague.