Films

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched X-Men Apocalypse last night. Pretty good entertainment, although I'm still not overly happy with some of the casting for this generation. Few plot holes and 'conveniences' perhaps, but still a fun watch. Quicksilver was the best character again. Oh, and Fassbender as Magneto - superb.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Watched X-Men Apocalypse last night. Pretty good entertainment, although I'm still not overly happy with some of the casting for this generation. Few plot holes and 'conveniences' perhaps, but still a fun watch. Quicksilver was the best character again. Oh, and Fassbender as Magneto - superb.
For me it was a missed opportunity.

Apocalypse is the ultimate bad guy and they could’ve made that film so dark but they pandered to a younger audience. I still enjoyed it but I feel the X-Men series could be so much more.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it was a missed opportunity.

Apocalypse is the ultimate bad guy and they could’ve made that film so dark but they pandered to a younger audience. I still enjoyed it but I feel the X-Men series could be so much more.
Yeah, I wondered if they just didn't want to make him too similar to Thanos from the Avengers films so they toned him down slightly? This was one of the poorer X-Men films. Missus wants to watch Dark Phoenix next, but I've seen it has poor reviews. I don't like the casting of Sophie Turner, she seems lightweight compared to the confidence and sex appeal Famke Janssen brought to the role before. Plus they already did the whole Phoenix story in the original third X-Men film so it almost feels like a straight remake (without having seen it obviously).

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah, I wondered if they just didn't want to make him too similar to Thanos from the Avengers films so they toned him down slightly? This was one of the poorer X-Men films. Missus wants to watch Dark Phoenix next, but I've seen it has poor reviews. I don't like the casting of Sophie Turner, she seems lightweight compared to the confidence and sex appeal Famke Janssen brought to the role before. Plus they already did the whole Phoenix story in the original third X-Men film so it almost feels like a straight remake (without having seen it obviously).
I’ve not watched Dark Phoenix yet either, I might get it out of the way this weekend.

sunshine

Visit site
I watched Goldfinger the other night, ITV4 is showing all the Bond films (again).

Obviously I had seen it before, but I had forgotten how many iconic Bond moments are contained in this film...
- The girl covered in gold paint
- Introducing the Aston Martin
- Round of golf at Stoke Park
- "Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr Bond I expect you to die"
- Pussy Galore

OK, the plot is absurd (even by Bond standards) but it was a really enjoyable ride.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last Christmas. Seemed appropriate to watch today. An ok film. Shed a tear at the loss of George Michael. Something about his passing so young just hits me every time I hear him. I wasn't a huge fan, never saw him live, but for some reason I really feel the loss of such a talent.
We watched it today , the misses loved it, she's in a good mood ATM (y) ,
thanks for the heads up.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
John Wick 3 :cautious:
We watched John Wick 1 a few months ago and really enjoyed it, John Wick 2 before Xmas, was a bit blander, I think I may have fallen asleep near the end :sleep:
John Wick 3, lost me after the maybe the 3rd fight scene in the first 15 minutes. Was there actually a story? It seemed to be just one long fight scene and constantly trying to find inventive ways on how to kill people. I had no idea what was going on but then again I was only half watching it by the 30 minute mark.
Crash bang wallop, chat for a minute, crash bang wallop, chat for a minute...rinse and repeat about describes it perfectly.

Total dross.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wonder Woman 1984. It's bad, very bad.

The script is bad, the plot is bad, the CGI is bad, Gal Godot is a plank. You could cut pretty much the whole of the first hour and if would have no impact.

The first film was really good. Solid plot, good supporting cast. This had none of these. Save your money, avoid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We watched John Wick 1 a few months ago and really enjoyed it, John Wick 2 before Xmas, was a bit blander, I think I may have fallen asleep near the end :sleep:
John Wick 3, lost me after the maybe the 3rd fight scene in the first 15 minutes. Was there actually a story? It seemed to be just one long fight scene and constantly trying to find inventive ways on how to kill people. I had no idea what was going on but then again I was only half watching it by the 30 minute mark.
Crash bang wallop, chat for a minute, crash bang wallop, chat for a minute...rinse and repeat about describes it perfectly.

Total dross.
I didn't mind it, some of the action scenes were overblown and ridiculous, but that's kind of what you expect. I hated the way they ended it though, nothing more than a teaser for a 4th film. I think films should have endings in their own right or they're a bit unsatisfying. It was definitely the least good of the three JW films so far. I thought the first two were really good.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Total dross.

i loved number 1 and thought number 2 good but number 3 was absolute trash - utter drivel of a long action sequence with a dreadful script and zero enjoyemnt

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
i loved number 1 and thought number 2 good but number 3 was absolute trash - utter drivel of a long action sequence with a dreadful script and zero enjoyemnt

He gets a lot of stick, but I've always been a Keanu Reaves fan. The first John Wick was a class action film, the second dropped off, the third was eking it out a bit, although we saw it at the flicks and still of enjoyed it. Whilst it was just one long fight, which does get a bit mind numbing after a while, the fact he does most of his own fight scenes, is pretty good. The addition of Halle Berry and her dogs was the main talking point for us, those two dogs were scene stealers. Even though it's getting a bit tiring, I'm sure we'll still go watch JW4 when it arrives :oops: