Fibre Optic Broadband

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I live in a small village where fibre optic broadband has just become available. The BT cable box is 400m from the house and the signal is carried to the house by the overhead telephone wire. I am currently with Orange and thinking of changing to PlusNet. I have been told that an engineer will need to come to the house to fit a box of some sort.

Has anyone made a similar switch? If so, please can you tell me what is involved.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live in a small village where fibre optic broadband has just become available. The BT cable box is 400m from the house and the signal is carried to the house by the overhead telephone wire. I am currently with Orange and thinking of changing to PlusNet. I have been told that an engineer will need to come to the house to fit a box of some sort.

Has anyone made a similar switch? If so, please can you tell me what is involved.

The fibre is up to the DSLAM (located next to green cab) then existing copper the rest of the way. 400m shouldn't see too much of a drop in speed but that depends on the quality of the copper (or aluminium).

An engineer may have to visit the property to fit an service specific front plate to your main socket and possibly run a data extension if required. This all depends on your provider, some only pay for the line to be converted to fibre and you use your existing set up.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
they will also install a router, typically will be a BT openreach one irrespective of the ISP. I live about 200m from my green cab, get 35MB up and 10MB down. Perfect! (sky ISP)

caboose

Hacker
Visit site
I work for BT, albeit not Openreach!

They will change your phone line distribution point and install a little white router directly connected to it. From there, your ISP's hub will plug into that and act as the local switch!

The overhead wires may not be the best, but being 400m from the cab will help no end!

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I work for BT, albeit not Openreach!

They will change your phone line distribution point and install a little white router directly connected to it. From there, your ISP's hub will plug into that and act as the local switch!

The overhead wires may not be the best, but being 400m from the cab will help no end!

That depends on the CP he chooses. BT would most likely send out a Hub5 which doesn't require the extra white MODEM. Sky's new router also doesn't require the white modem.

Like I said in my first post an engineer may not even visit, depends on the CP.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you for the info. My router is upstairs, connected to the phone socket in a bedroom and wired to my desk top computer. Will that be a problem?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have several phone sockets in the house. How do I know which is the main one?

It's where the line first comes into the property. Google 'NTE socket' and they look like that.

It doesn't really matter where it is as if an engineer does come round he can move it or run a data extension to where you require your router