Fence repair

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do not bother to break up the old concrete.

If there is still a good amount of wood in the concrete just use the plate style post holders*1 and screw them in to the wood using the holes on the inside of the plate or try a repair spike*3. If the wood is totally rotten get it out of the concrete which leaves a square hole then use the spiked fence post holders*2 just pushed in to the hole until they wedge in place . They become wedge in the concrete and some I have done this method are still firmly in place having been done 20 years ago.

*1 Wickes.co.uk erecta plate
*2 " wedge support spike
*3 " repair support spur

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The quote we had is £900 for material, £300 for waste removal and £1300 for labour, rounded it down.
My partner asked him for different options, maybe we only got the diamond studded one.
Pouring concrete or setting posts always looks easy on YouTube, but so did grouting and some of the bits in the old flat I did myself don’t look good.
The in-laws are really talented, the generation that built their own house.
They grouted all edges in the house and wallpapered a couple of rooms when they came in August, but the fence is a new issue and they are not due to come until maybe March.

They are taking the proverbial. Materials should be £300 tops at a quick look, the labour rate is an absolute joke for the work involved. I don't live too far away and there are a lot of chancers around who prey on the vulnerable or unknowing and will do an utterly shoddy job.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That is very expensive, on all factors.
Pity you didn't live in the Midlands, Tashyboy and I would do it for a lot less - plus beer and pizza 😂

Ain't that the truth. Flippin Eck ave some stories re fencing. When Rufford pit shut, I asked the Joiner to do me some timber for the fence down the side of my house. About 100ft long. Posts, lats the lot. Cost me £25 inc delivery.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The fence has now been replaced. I wasn’t in yesterday but the GF was. Apparently the old fence was just dug in 10 to 15 cm in compacted dirt, the new one is set in 2ft concrete. Nothing wobbles anymore.
pricewise we are coming in at around £1200 of which £450 is labour.

We asked 4 people for a quote, 2 offered to come for a quotation, 1 actually came. He got the job.
We might have paid a little over the odds but we finally got it done.

Attachments

• 12EE80A4-1CAE-411F-B442-2E2AFA443963.jpeg
    12EE80A4-1CAE-411F-B442-2E2AFA443963.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 25
  • B313D276-A986-417E-BDB6-3268A3383DCE.jpeg
    B313D276-A986-417E-BDB6-3268A3383DCE.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 25