Fence repair

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, does anyone know how much it would cost to repair or replace a fence?

Our front of house boundary fence got wobbly over the last few weeks and it is now close to breaking. We think we definitively need to replace the posts. We are talking about a panel (?) fence of 105 cm hight, and about 4 posts and 8 meter of fence.

We got one quote in of over GBP 2000, I just looked at some more people online, but I just need to know what ballpark figure is actually realistic.

Cheers.

Attachments

• fence.jpg
    fence.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 50

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'd suggest the quote you've been given for that is taking the proverbial. 2 metre high boundary fence app 22 metres long with 2 gates was less than that, albeit about 6 years ago. Whereabouts are you in the country as prices can change?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
From the picture it looks like you have an arris rail fence, google it. But it might be easier to replace it with normal standard boards. It’s not a high fence so it’s much easier

Replacing it is fairly straightforward and something anyone with reasonable diy skills can do over a weekend. I’ve done several runs over the years and all still standing 😎

The tricky bit is the fact that the posts are set in concrete so you will need to hire a concrete breaker or use a SDS drill to dig out the current concrete.

You will need 5 posts, 4 panels and 10 bags of postcrete rough price for the bits £300 tops .

I won’t go into the detailed method now, but happy to later if you need to.

So now you know the price of the bits , 2 blokes on £200 a day (I wish) could do the job in one day and if they charge much more than £750 they are having a laugh.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you live in London or Surrey? Crazy price. We had our entire garden, 3 sides, approx 10 x 12 x 10m plus gate done for less than that. A few years ago now but even so. Find another fencing company.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It's actually a pretty easy diy job. Dig out the old posts, replace using bags of post Crete . Then add the cross beams and nail the slats on. I did about a 10 mtr stretch and it was easy.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Do it yourself, I replaced 30 metres of fencing last year and it cost me less than £300 for 10 4"x4" fence posts, 90 metres of 2.5"x2" batons, cement, sand and chuckies. Large bag of ring nails also. I did salvage my original slats and used them. Only cost me time after that.

My neighbour had a cement mixer that I borrowed.

Digging out the old foundations from the previous posts was the worst part. After that it was just a case of getting it done. Only really cost me time.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. We are living in Hampton, just north of the station, so I think we are classed London as well as Surrey. On checkatrade it looks like there are a lot of people in Surbiton, I pinged 4 of them yesterday evening to see what they can come up with.

We bought last year and we find out more and more that things have been done to look nice for a short amount of time but not to last. I think there is no concrete anywhere close to the fence, so that definitively needs to be done.

It looks like an arris rail fence but I think we probably got for something where we can slot in and out replacement panels in the future. And once we have a guy we like/trust we probably let him have a go at the garden in the spring/summer as well.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks guys. We are living in Hampton, just north of the station, so I think we are classed London as well as Surrey. On checkatrade it looks like there are a lot of people in Surbiton, I pinged 4 of them yesterday evening to see what they can come up with.

We bought last year and we find out more and more that things have been done to look nice for a short amount of time but not to last. I think there is no concrete anywhere close to the fence, so that definitively needs to be done.

It looks like an arris rail fence but I think we probably got for something where we can slot in and out replacement panels in the future. And once we have a guy we like/trust we probably let him have a go at the garden in the spring/summer as well.

We bought a new house coming up for two years ago in December and likewise the people we bought it from have run it into the ground. Slowly replacing everything, we knew certain things needed done but that was only the surface of it. Feel your pain, however on the plus side I've learned loads of DIY and a whole new set of skills.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As has been said. It is a job that is more than do able. Me I would definately not have wooden posts back in. You will end up in the same boat again. Concrete posts and slotted panels would be the way to go for me..

Robin Hood

Visit site
As has been said. It is a job that is more than do able. Me I would definately not have wooden posts back in. You will end up in the same boat again. Concrete posts and slotted panels would be the way to go for me..
Agree
If you are going to change the posts go concrete with slotted panels.
The cost difference is negligible compared to labour costs.
It's quite a simple job - you and a couple of mates could do it in a day - payment in beer and pizzas - sorted !

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree
If you are going to change the posts go concrete with slotted panels.
The cost difference is negligible compared to labour costs.
It's quite a simple job - you and a couple of mates could do it in a day - payment in beer and pizzas - sorted !
+1, wooden post will format the bottom over time.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is the right answer - especially as I sell them on a Monday!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Is the right answer - especially as I sell them on a Monday!
Once run a girls football team, picked a girl up on a Sunday morning. She got in the car and said some iligitimate child has knicked her mums fence. I nearly crashed the car laughing. Anyway I dropped her off at the end of the game and saw what she meant. Her Mum had a new fence put in the day before like the one I suggested. Someone during the night had pinched all the 3 X 6ft panels.
The way round that is to run wire across the back of the fence and nail it to all the panels. 👍

D

Deleted member 1740

From the picture it looks like you have an arris rail fence, google it. But it might be easier to replace it with normal standard boards. It’s not a high fence so it’s much easier

Replacing it is fairly straightforward and something anyone with reasonable diy skills can do over a weekend. I’ve done several runs over the years and all still standing 😎

The tricky bit is the fact that the posts are set in concrete so you will need to hire a concrete breaker or use a SDS drill to dig out the current concrete.

You will need 5 posts, 4 panels and 10 bags of postcrete rough price for the bits £300 tops .

I won’t go into the detailed method now, but happy to later if you need to.

So now you know the price of the bits , 2 blokes on £200 a day (I wish) could do the job in one day and if they charge much more than £750 they are having a laugh.

No they’re not.

It’s ok covering wages but there’s got to be profit % for the business, this scenario is not taking into account of the overheads of the business etc.

If they go over the 1 day would you pay more?

Tashyboy

Visit site
£750, that's extortion. And no disrespect to people that put up fences. But it's not 3 years at Uni, a trade, etc etc. It's basics DIY. Me finks that a little conversation along the lines of X amount for cash, wink wink and someone is a few more quid in pocket. There's no way it would cost £350 for the bits fragger has quoted from Rainworth fencing. There's a massive profit it in it at £750.

Tashyboy

Visit site
4 x tantalised panels from Rainworth fencing at £22.50 each. That leaves you £270 for 5 posts and bags. Profit margins going up. Plus if that job takes longer than a day I would not give them the job.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The quote we had is £900 for material, £300 for waste removal and £1300 for labour, rounded it down.
My partner asked him for different options, maybe we only got the diamond studded one.
Pouring concrete or setting posts always looks easy on YouTube, but so did grouting and some of the bits in the old flat I did myself don’t look good.
The in-laws are really talented, the generation that built their own house.
They grouted all edges in the house and wallpapered a couple of rooms when they came in August, but the fence is a new issue and they are not due to come until maybe March.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Forget concrete. If you are putting posts into the ground have a look at these at B&Q or Amazon.

https://www.diy.com/search?term=fence+post+spike

Those are ok if you are setting into virgin soil, but the existing posts will need breaking out, leaving a big hole, even if you compact soil around them it wont be strong enough to support a solid fence,
you can use the ones without a spike in concrete, they work fine.