Fatty Fat Fat

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With the ground being soft like a 99 flake I literally am fatting everything and taking enough ground to have planning permission for! Has anyone got any tips for this?

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
With the ground being soft like a 99 flake I literally am fatting everything and taking enough ground to have planning permission for! Has anyone got any tips for this?

If your hitting irons put more of your weight on the front foot.

The soft ground is no excuse for the poor strike. A possible reason for fatting the ball that i see with playing partners is when they try swing too hard, weight falls onto back foot and they strike the ground way before the ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not that I'm any good at this either, but if you were striking the ball properly, i.e. ball then turf, then it shouldn't matter how soft the ground is should it? So just try and focus on getting a good strike I guess. I'm the same to be honest so I know that's easier said than done.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Get a lesson to improve your ball striking.

Range mats and hard ground can mask your swing fault if you fat it. Club might just bounce off then hit the ball okay, with soft ground its doing you no favours!

I had the same issue, a lesson helped me fix it!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make sure you keep your balance - stability is even more important than ever on soft ground and your feet naturally have a less stable base. If its very very wet, I think of it like playing a full shot out of a bunker - very still lower body (or that's how it feels).

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played a very very soggy Machynys a couple of weeks ago with a pro. His iron striking was still excellent, but each shot fired mud and water into the air... after 18 holes he looked like Fran Cotton in the famous photo!

fran.jpg

The alternative is to blade the hell out of it!

D

Deleted member 1147

I believe hitting fat or thin is normally a sign of swaying rather than turning - but @bobmac will probably correct that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe hitting fat or thin is normally a sign of swaying rather than turning - but @bobmac will probably correct that.

That's definitely a factor.
Another reason I see for duffs/fats is golfers leaning back to try and ''help'' the ball up in the air.

This is a drill I like to use to improve weight transfer on to the front foot.

Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball.
You'll still take a divot but it will be after the ball.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's definitely a factor.
Another reason I see for duffs/fats is golfers leaning back to try and ''help'' the ball up in the air.

This is a drill I like to use to improve weight transfer on to the front foot.

Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball.
You'll still take a divot but it will be after the ball.

I know you know your stuff Bob, but for someone like me, that exercise just smacks of having to look for two balls rather than one ... :)

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Lessons :) I'm the same and it's down to not hitting the ball first. Get away with it somewhat when it's dry, but the wet conditions really highlight the issue :(:(:(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of my winter fats are caused by swaying. It's an old fault that comes out when I haven't warmed up or if I am tense (tight drive, playing well and trying to finish it off). Doing a lot of work on my hip turn and especially clearing the left hip. Seems to be working and been hitting off our practice ground which has longer grass than it should (like playing out of the semi) and very wet has seen me hitting ball then turf so positive. I agree that range mats can mask a lot of faults and the skidding club can make it feel like a decent contact that wet grass highlights instantly

Mandofred

Visit site
If you are having that much of a problem with fatting the ball, go to a stack+tilt type set-up. Keep a little more weight on the front leg and keep it there.