Fairweather Golf, Camberley

Senseicads

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

going to have a bit of cash at the end of Feb, and rather doing what I want to do and buy something incredibly shiny that is bound to improve my game, I am going to do what I am supposed to do and get some lessons.

With that in mind has anyone been to Fairweather golf in Camberley? I've driven past it a couple of times and wondered about it. It's an indoor sim place that looking at the website seems to offer some pga tuition and some kind of Robo-Golf tutor which seems a bit gimmicky but intriguing. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on any lessons there, of if there are better pro's/teachers in the local area. I'd quite like to hear some other recommendations. Pretty much looking in the Sandhurst/Camberley area but can prob go as far as Guildford for my lessons.

thanks in advance.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going on monday for the robo golf two hour lessons.

already a thread on this from a few weeks back

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
I'm in Sandhurst too. Would be interested to hear what youthink of the Robogolf. That aside, I think it would be good fun just to have a simulated round with a few cold ones. Especially given the current chilly climate!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
right then. had my £140 two hour robo golf lesson today.

it has opened up a whole new world for me. without writing war and piece it was very eye opening to feel where the club is supposed to be. for me my backswing was way to compact with too much wrist set. a few clicks on the computer and instantly i was able to feel how it is supposed to feel. it felt too extreme at first but after about 50 robot repetitions it was already beginning to feel normal.

the main problem i have is early release. this has crippled my golf game from day one. apart from my driver i hit a horrible weak high shot. this is what we tackled next. it turns out that i thought the arms worked in a completely different way in the downswing to what they should. he tried to explain how they should work and i thought "yeh, thats what I'm doing". as soon as i got on the robot it was apparent that i was full of crap.

at the start of the session i was hitting my 7 iron at 87 mph with a 158 carry. at the very end i was swinging at 95mph with a 180 carry with trajectory being significantly lower. i even hit one out at 191. he did start by saying for a big lad i hit like a sissy 😁

so in a nut shell, 2 hours on the robot fixed what 3 years of golf lessons couldn't. believe me i tried.

i wouldn't recommend this to anyone that is having lessons and actually seeing improvements. however, if you're lessons are not taking you anywhere and your standing still then I'd give it a whirl

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
damn, you have tempted me in with that! Tried a trial on that and I felt stretches in my backswing I have never experienced before.

£140 just seems too much for me though, unless I was guaranteed results.

Do they want you to go back or was it a one off session?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
damn, you have tempted me in with that! Tried a trial on that and I felt stretches in my backswing I have never experienced before.

£140 just seems too much for me though, unless I was guaranteed results.

Do they want you to go back or was it a one off session?

i told them it was a one off as it was a 280 mile round trip. i was down for a friends 40th so i stopped in.

weather or not it's value for money is up for you to decide. for me its unlocked a problem in my swing that was stopping me getting any further. I was at the point where i would have paid double that to sort out my early release.
if you're not having a particular issue and at a sticking point i probably wouldn't bother. bear in mind its two hours. that's usually £80 to £100 with most pros anyhow

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad you got something from the experience. Certainly feels like a light bulb moment when you pulled into correct position, doesn't it !
Good to see you got some distance increases, I was a little shocked when my swing suddenly created many yards of extra distance.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad you got something from the experience. Certainly feels like a light bulb moment when you pulled into correct position, doesn't it !
Good to see you got some distance increases, I was a little shocked when my swing suddenly created many yards of extra distance.

I'm actually that concerned about my extra lag and shaft lean at impact that I've tapped up the crown on my woods. i can just see me skying them

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did the 2 hour initial session today and it was a revelation. I've only been playing a year or so and have never been able to hit the ball very long, so when I started today I was hitting a 7 iron around 100 yards as expected. Matt who worked with me said he ws sure he would get me hitting over 150 by the end of the session, I laughed...

Did several iterations on the RoboGolf machine interspersed with simulator sessions. By the end of the lesson I was hitting almost 170 with the 7 iron, I was totally amazed at the change. I was so impressed I signed up for 5 more 1 hour lessons.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did the 2 hour initial session today and it was a revelation. I've only been playing a year or so and have never been able to hit the ball very long, so when I started today I was hitting a 7 iron around 100 yards as expected. Matt who worked with me said he ws sure he would get me hitting over 150 by the end of the session, I laughed...

Did several iterations on the RoboGolf machine interspersed with simulator sessions. By the end of the lesson I was hitting almost 170 with the 7 iron, I was totally amazed at the change. I was so impressed I signed up for 5 more 1 hour lessons.

one thing I did find suspect was they took my initial data off one simulator and after the session they used different simulator to show me my ball speed and carry distance.

i wasn't suspicious at first but when i played on the course my 7 iron wasnt even close to the claimed increase. did you use the same simulator?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
one thing I did find suspect was they took my initial data off one simulator and after the session they used different simulator to show me my ball speed and carry distance.

Same as you, first set before using the RoboGolf was on a different simulator. However my first set afterwards showed virtually the same distances initially until I was able to develop the inside/out swing properly.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

i wasn't suspicious at first but when i played on the course my 7 iron wasnt even close to the claimed increase. did you use the same simulator?

When you say it was nowhere near the sim data on the course, was it still an increase from before?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you say it was nowhere near the sim data on the course, was it still an increase from before?

yes still an increase. the initial date was a 152 7iron up to 180/185. in reality it is more 165/170. i did wonder why we swapped simulators

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting! And do you feel like what you learnt in the robopro is sticking?

since the lesson i have not shot over +4 off an 8 handicap. i was at a sticking point and this was what got rid of this fault. it was basically how low the hands "feel" they have to be to the floor that unlocked it for me. it feels like I'm trying to scrape my knuckles across the floor on the downswing. it wasn't a case of needed it to stick because it was a case of "i didn't know it was supposed to feel that way" if that makes sense

i personally think i was just lucky that i had a problem the robo golf could fix. i can see other people going and it not having much influence

Last edited:

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
since the lesson i have not shot over +4 off an 8 handicap. i was at a sticking point and this was what got rid of this fault. it was basically how low the hands "feel" they have to be to the floor that unlocked it for me. it feels like I'm trying to scrape my knuckles across the floor on the downswing. it wasn't a case of needed it to stick because it was a case of "i didn't know it was supposed to feel that way" if that makes sense

i personally think i was just lucky that i had a problem the robo golf could fix. i can see other people going and it not having much influence

I see. I have been very tempted, although I'd need a small lottery win to justify it to the Mrs. I'd like to think that a repeatable swing I could literally go back to each month to confirm I'm still swinging it the right way would make my golf a lot better. I know there is more to golf than driver & irons, it's a good part of the battle!