Fairweather Golf, Camberley

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see. I have been very tempted, although I'd need a small lottery win to justify it to the Mrs. I'd like to think that a repeatable swing I could literally go back to each month to confirm I'm still swinging it the right way would make my golf a lot better. I know there is more to golf than driver & irons, it's a good part of the battle!

And as if by magic, my wish has come true.

American golf in Camberley are giving away free lessons when you spend £100. Mine's booked Thursday!

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You have won the lottery? Congrats mate! ;)

Let us know how you get on as I am tempted but a bit put off by the price.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I went and had my lesson last night. I found it a very, very positive experience.

It lasted 30 mins, and after hitting a few balls on the simulator the pro setup the Robopro to my swing. I knew that my real issue was "coming over the top" in my downswing.

After a handful of super slow-mo swings on the Robopro, I immediately felt what I'd been going wrong. My shoulders hadn't been turning as much as the Robopro was turning them, I felt like I was "winding up" my body ready for the downswing / release.

The release was all about the shoulders and the impact on the ball. Keeping my head down and my shoulders on a pivot round my spine gave me a really good feeling.

We then went through 3 rounds of just slower than average swings, 6 swings in each. By the end I had a really good feeling.

I went back to the simulator, and immediately saw a difference. We hadn't gauged my distance beforehand, the difference I saw was a straighter flight. In fact the 7 irons I hit to a 150 target all hit the target, the dispersion was a few yards at most.

The pro gave me a drill to go at home with a club to get the feeling of the impact position. We then had a chat about lessons. No hard sell, he gave me his card and off I went.

If you've got the money, I recon this is a great way to improve your swing, especially if, like me, you know where you're going wrong. I will see how the year ends, maybe see if they have a January sale, and save up for a few lessons possibly.

Definitely worth popping in if you get the free voucher from American Golf Camberley. I've got my monthly medal tomorrow... let's see how that goes!

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I also got a free half hour from AG but not booked anything yet.

Interestingly was up at Fairweather Golf earlier today as AG doing a combined club fit with them at their premises and I wanted to do Sam Puttlab.

Whilst there, no one from Fairweather Golf engaged with me to discuss the facility, costs, teaching using robot or anything.

Seems a missed opportunity for them as I probably like most others had never set foot in there before.

Anyway, the Sam Puttlab was an interesting experience with the AG fitter (who was very good) and worth going there for.

Now to the boring detail .....

After hitting a few "warm up" putts to get the pace etc. then the gizmo was attached I managed to hole all the 5 putts from 12 ft pre analysis.

Told me my putter face was 1.2 deg open at address and 0.8 deg closed at impact, this meant my takeaway and through swing were not matching.

Club toe was down rather so club not that flat

Though using a 3 deg loft putter I was creating 4 deg of loft at impact and striking 0.8 off the ground.

Strikes were not too bad towards the centre of the club face.

I use a counter balance 37inch putter and post analysis he suggested a minor change of holding the club nearer to the top of the club - another 5 putts from 12 ft and drilled them all into the hole.

Technically the stroke was better when we reviewed the data as club square at address, only very slightly closed at contact, flat, more matching swing path, hits were closer to the centre of the club, also nearer to the ground and a better overall roll.

Then he said the ultimate test is to hit it with the eyes closed and you guessed it - I holed it again.

Went back to old technique eyes closed and also holed out !

My lad reckoned the green was set up to hole everything - that would not help putter sales much though ....

Seems my putting stroke these days is not too bad and the positives are that there is no need for a new putter and learned something so a worthwhile trip.

My son reckons my green reading is the main issue anyway - too much imagination seeing breaks that are not there or missing them completely :) - now where do you go to learn that ? !

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds like a great productive session, very positive

My son reckons my green reading is the main issue anyway - too much imagination seeing breaks that are not there or missing them completely - now where do you go to learn that ? !

Couldn't resist could you
If only there was a method available :whistle: :rofl:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
'Golf Nutters' group on Facebook have organised a deal for the 90 mins lesson of £99, must be booked before end of year, but can be taken at any time.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought I'd give an update since I booked a 5 lesson package after my initial 30 min free session from AG.

In the package I got:

5 lessons with the Robopro, 1 hour slots. The robopro is on a simulator with trackman built in. After each lesson, I'm allowed to pop to another free bay (which has some sort of stats / swing tracking system, but it isn't Trackman) to hit some more shots to groove in what I've learnt.

I also got 5 1 hour "driving range" sessions in the deal - so I can book an hour using a non-trackman bay to just have a driving range session, whenever I fancy.

Down to the lessons. The 30 mins I got free was really just scratching the surface. Although it gave me a good idea of what I was doing wrong, and I got a good feel from the Robopro, the last 4 lessons I've had have made a huge difference. Murdoch, the pro I'm seeing at Fairweather Golf, is brilliant. He obviously understands the mechanics of my swing, and combined with the Robopro I have really started to re-build my swing from the basics of my previous swing.

The Robopro itself isn't heavily used throughout the sessions, but it is used more as a point in each session to go back to the "ideal" swing for me, which usually results in 20 or so swings on it through the session.

Having Trackman and the video of my swing which is so readily available (the shot I take is projected onto the big screen each time I've hit the ball) means I can really see were my faults lie. I can see the good and bad swings, I can see the things which I need to be doing and I can see when I've got it right.

My 4th lesson was last night, and we worked on the transition into the downswing, getting the hips to start the process and not coming so out-to-in.

So, prior to last night's lesson, I'd had 3 1/2 lessons (including the 30 mins taster) and over Xmas I'd shot +7 (I'm a 13 h/c) and a few other good sub-handicap rounds. Last night's lesson fills me with confidence that I now can take on the course to shoot a good low score in the Stableford on Sunday!

Again, I can't speak highly enough or Murdoch the pro at Fairweather Golf.

Finally, as I got out my car last night and head into Fariweather Golf, with the rain pouring and the wind blowing, and the car telling me it was only 3degrees outside, I was sure glad my lesson was indoors and not outside. I'm not suggesting that lessons are cheap, but there really are benefits at this time of year to having indoor lessons!!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
glad you liked it.

i posted on here that they was a little suspect with your distance improvements. they took my initial readings off the simulator on the left but almost went out of their way to only let me use the simulator on the right when showing me improvements.

didn't you have the same experience?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought I'd give an update since I booked a 5 lesson package after my initial 30 min free session from AG.

In the package I got:

5 lessons with the Robopro, 1 hour slots. The robopro is on a simulator with trackman built in. After each lesson, I'm allowed to pop to another free bay (which has some sort of stats / swing tracking system, but it isn't Trackman) to hit some more shots to groove in what I've learnt.

I also got 5 1 hour "driving range" sessions in the deal - so I can book an hour using a non-trackman bay to just have a driving range session, whenever I fancy.

Down to the lessons. The 30 mins I got free was really just scratching the surface. Although it gave me a good idea of what I was doing wrong, and I got a good feel from the Robopro, the last 4 lessons I've had have made a huge difference. Murdoch, the pro I'm seeing at Fairweather Golf, is brilliant. He obviously understands the mechanics of my swing, and combined with the Robopro I have really started to re-build my swing from the basics of my previous swing.

The Robopro itself isn't heavily used throughout the sessions, but it is used more as a point in each session to go back to the "ideal" swing for me, which usually results in 20 or so swings on it through the session.

Having Trackman and the video of my swing which is so readily available (the shot I take is projected onto the big screen each time I've hit the ball) means I can really see were my faults lie. I can see the good and bad swings, I can see the things which I need to be doing and I can see when I've got it right.

My 4th lesson was last night, and we worked on the transition into the downswing, getting the hips to start the process and not coming so out-to-in.

So, prior to last night's lesson, I'd had 3 1/2 lessons (including the 30 mins taster) and over Xmas I'd shot +7 (I'm a 13 h/c) and a few other good sub-handicap rounds. Last night's lesson fills me with confidence that I now can take on the course to shoot a good low score in the Stableford on Sunday!

Again, I can't speak highly enough or Murdoch the pro at Fairweather Golf.

Finally, as I got out my car last night and head into Fariweather Golf, with the rain pouring and the wind blowing, and the car telling me it was only 3degrees outside, I was sure glad my lesson was indoors and not outside. I'm not suggesting that lessons are cheap, but there really are benefits at this time of year to having indoor lessons!!

Great write up. Glad it's starting to come together and I hope you can take the form from Christmas into the new season and when the better weather comes

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Little promo post for my place (as we are in the Guildford area). We have new indoor Swing Studio - and lessons in it with the pros seems to be very popular with members and non-members alike. I don't know much about it but it includes GC2 and HMT launch monitor. If anyone in the area is interested.

Swing Studio.jpg

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
glad you liked it.

i posted on here that they was a little suspect with your distance improvements. they took my initial readings off the simulator on the left but almost went out of their way to only let me use the simulator on the right when showing me improvements.

didn't you have the same experience?

I didn't take readings on their sim before the lesson, only after. Since that first 30 min lesson, I was hitting 150ish with my 7 iron. Tuesday after the lesson on the same simulator I was on for my 30 min session, my 7 iron was going 166ish.

So if they don't mess around with the settings on the other bays, then I can say I have seen an improvement distance wise.

Between the "teaching" bay with Trackman, and the bay I was put in to practice in after, I'd say there is a few yards difference, maybe 10 at a push. Problem is, in the teaching bay, I was hitting bad shots, half shots to get the technique right, all that jazz. In the practice bay, it was the end of the hour session and I was "almost" nailing the swing, so i'd expect a bit of difference anyway. Plus not having the pro around means I can relax a bit more and give it a little bit more too!

As far as on the course stats go, I can honestly say the biggest difference is the fact I can get a 6 iron to stop almost dead on the green. Even in the wet, my 6 iron normally wouldn't stop dead!