fade or draw with driver?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
thank you this video pretty much has everything I'm looking for!

Interesting on that video that the draw ends up in the left rough (sounds like a hook to me if he aimed at the trees on the right) whilst he seems pretty happy with the fade, shows how even the 'pros' can't find the short stuff easily with the draw.

I'm a natural drawer of the ball... yet choose to hit a fade with driver... and I do quite well with it so I've been told ;)

Why do I go with fade? Not worried about having to square the face ever, can go hard at it, it launches high and carries a good distance, it's always going to move from left to right.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Okay...................I'm sticking my head over the parapet here, but what the hell!
To hit a draw with the driver, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but do this :

1. Set up square to target.
2. Ball in line with left heel (approx).
3. Open the clubface fractionally.
4. Hit the ball with an in to out swing path.
5. Watch the ball start slightly right of target line but draw back to centre fairway whilst soaking up the oooohhh's and aaahhh's of your playing partners.
Good luck with this, I believe this is what you're looking for,

Slime.

Slime that works with S&T as the pattern requires a level or even descending angle of attack. If you are going to try and hit UP on it then it's advisable to close your stance slightly as the path will (very slightly) be returning leftwards (out-in) by impact if you hit up on it at all :thup:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
If you're off 19 and your target is 12 this year, are you hoping that by learning to hit the draw when you need it, you will achieve your target?

No, this is what i meant about people assuming things incorrectly. I do not think learning how to hit a draw will be the magic piece of the puzzle that will see me reach my target. i do however feel that If I can learn to hit the shot, control my stock drive off the tee more and generally understand my swing more that this will not hurt this target.

Is it worth it to change all that to play one shot you might need once in a blue moon, and mess up your natural swing ??

I'm not talking about changing my "normal"swing because I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that by changing a few of my setup conditions this would change my swing plane, angle of attack and clubface at impact. I assumed this because this is what has worked with my irons. i.e. change certain setup conditions and I can change my shot shape if desired.

You say above that the Shawn Clement video had everything you were looking for.... did he explain how to swing in to out???

What i meant when I said the SC vidoe had everything i needed i meant it provided information on what I am trying to educate myself in. i.e. it answered my question from my opening post. it also addressed ball position which I was particularly interested in.

If you have a natural fade, which is sometimes a slice, aiming right with a slightly open club face will not draw the ball, it will just give you massive slice unless you change your swing path to in to out and you have already read from others how hard that is to do.

I am aware how difficult it is to change swing path having been a slicer with all clubs in the past but, similarly to above, if my standard swing has a resonably neutral path then surely by changing setup conditions I can manipulate this swing path when required.

I will end by wishing you good luck with your plan
As long as you understand it will be a long and difficult road with much heartache along the way (ask Aztec) and if you can, please seek professional help as you go to check you are on the right road..

This is not a plan as such just an area of my game i seek to develop which I see as way to progress my game. I am also working on all the other aspects of my game as well. namely putting, chipping and pitching which I feel will knock more shots off my handicap than my tee shots. but i'll repeat what i said before i'm not trying to change my stock drive just to add more shots to my arsenal. I'm trying to add more shots in all my aspects of my game and trying to improve in all aspects of my game. I will not be devoting 100% of my pracice time , or anyway near that, trying to perform this shot. it may be difficult and take time to improve certain areas more than others but i'm fine with that and enjoy the challenge but I dont see why some people would seek to steer me away from trying to improve even it is hard and time consuming.

To help with the change in swing path try the head cover drill below.

thank you for this, I already incorporate this drill in my practice time and will continue you to do so. it's very useful.

I will also add that the recent chipping video you added, i feel, is one of your best. when I have trouble with my chipping i know it is when I fail to hit down on the ball correctly but I was missing a good way to practice/correct this mistake...this video has hopefully solve this problem.

Dont get me wrong with this post and my previous one your posts and tips have been a fantastic help to myself, and im sure others, and they are very much appreciated.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Out of interest, I know you can hit it both ways but isn't your stock drive a draw Bob?

It is true.
I used to see most shots as right to left and can still play the shot. However, I now prefer to hit it straight or with a slight cut.
Works for me as the 'big draw' never listened.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
being able to work the ball both ways is a massive advantage. i have only learned recently how to draw my irons. i used to be able to half kind of sometimes hook a shot when behind a tree but i can now draw in irons which is a major help when playing into the wind or if the flag is tucked back left.

look up how to play a push draw. its easy enough to do and once it clicks you will be able to call on it when necesary. it feels like a new club in the bag!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
also, i mean push draw with the irons. i still cant do it with the driver or woods! need a bit of range time but its been all course course course these days!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can work it both ways with my irons but like yourself cant with a driver - hence the thread lol
What loft is your driver?
The reason I ask is if you are closing the face to help the draw start further left, you may end up with just low pulls.
Have you considered trying the draw with the 3 wood first?

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
What loft is your driver?
The reason I ask is if you are closing the face to help the draw start further left, you may end up with just low pulls.
Have you considered trying the draw with the 3 wood first?

It's a 10.5 degree but I also have an older 9 degree driver. Is your thinking here that by closing the face I'll deloft the club too much resulting in the low pulls?

I wouldn't use my 3 wood all that often to be honest because I dont trust it. They're very old and given to me by my uncle who has now passed away so I'm not even sure what shaft flex is in them etc could be senior flex. Plus I can get my 3 iron over 200 yards so rarely have the need for it. Might be a good idea to practice hitting draws with them first though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Okay...................I'm sticking my head over the parapet here, but what the hell!
To hit a draw with the driver, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but do this :

1. Set up square to target.
2. Ball in line with left heel (approx).
3. Open the clubface fractionally.
4. Hit the ball with an in to out swing path.
5. Watch the ball start slightly right of target line but draw back to centre fairway whilst soaking up the oooohhh's and aaahhh's of your playing partners.
Good luck with this, I believe this is what you're looking for,

Slime.

You're right in principle, but if number 4 was as easy as just telling someone to do it we wouldn't have the huge percentage of golfers that we do having a chronic slice. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
but if number 4 was as easy as just telling someone to do it we wouldn't have the huge percentage of golfers that we do having a chronic slice.

Boy, isn't that the truth.

One of the single most difficult thing to change in a golf swing.... the out to in swing path

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're right in principle, but if number 4 was as easy as just telling someone to do it we wouldn't have the huge percentage of golfers that we do having a chronic slice. :)

Hey, I never said it was easy.
I've been trying since December last year & have just about got a decent level of consistency with my irons.
My driver is a different ball game altogether!
I'll probably settle for a fade with my driver as that'll be easier for me to control.

Slime.

Brookesy

Head Pro
www.chippingsodburygolfclub.co.uk
I used to hit a slice with my driver but turned it into a nice little fade, now i hit it straight and cant hit a fade to save my life. Never been able to hit a draw normally comes out as a low, slingy, hooky/draw which isnt great at all, something i really need to improve in my game.

nickd499

Medal Winner
Visit site
My bad shot with a driver (90%) of them..start right then go way right. I can sometimes add a 100yards to my second shot it goes that far right. Is this a slice/what possibly causes it? I believe i've seen on here that a slice is something that starts left and spins off to the right. I've started to be able to draw my irons ever so slightly with a little trigger movement at the start of my downswing but this doesn't seem to want to work with the big stick.