fade or draw with driver?

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello all

I've recently had some good success being able to hit draws and fades with my irons and looking to extend this to my driver. My technique for my irons is as follows:

Draw - Aim feet/body right of target and clubface aiming more towards the target. Ball back in stance i.e. back of centre.

Fade - Aim feet/body left of target and clubface aiming more towards the target. Ball forward in stance i.e. forward of centre.

As you can see from my description the ball position, for me, changes to hit these shots. First off is this correct?

For a driver to hit either shot should I also be changing the ball position, if so by how much? or what is the correct technique for a driver?

Please no one come on and say "whatever works for you, try everything". I am looking to know what you do yourself to achieve either shot or the generally accepted correct technique and as stated i am particularly interested in ball position.

Many thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would suggest you try and just master one shape.
I know lots of good golfers who cant and never will be able to fade/draw the ball.
What is your natural shape?

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
My natural shape is a fade with my bad shot being a pushed fade/slice.

My thinking is if I can learn how to hit both shapes I'll be better placed to master my go to shot shape. Also I'd like to be able to hit a specific shape if it really needs it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would suggest you try and just master one shape.
I know lots of good golfers who cant and never will be able to fade/draw the ball.
What is your natural shape?

why is this ? surely its a learnable skill! is it not just a mixture of correct grip, ball position and swing path! why would any golfer not be able to learn to either draw / fade the ball?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
why is this ? surely its a learnable skill! is it not just a mixture of correct grip, ball position and swing path! why would any golfer not be able to learn to either draw / fade the ball?

Not strictly true, your brain has a habbit of doing it's own thing regardless. Ask Martin Kaymer who tried to change his game to hit a draw to suit Augusta.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you ever seen someone who slices the ball try to hit a draw?

my friend started playing last year and his natual shot was slice / block right! he had 6 lessons and his drive turned into a draw. in fact, now i think about it two of my mates have been like this. one has slipped back into old slice habbits due to no lessons therefore having the wrong set up.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not strictly true, your brain has a habbit of doing it's own thing regardless. Ask Martin Kaymer who tried to change his game to hit a draw to suit Augusta.

He can hit a Draw though cant he? I thought he tried to make a Draw his natural shot shape I am sure he can move it Right to Left but it is not his natural shape. I can hit a Draw but it is not my natural shape of shot so find it a lot harder and only try to play one when no other option is available. My natural shape of shot is a straight flight I stuggle to hit any shape of shot but find a fade easier of the two.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He can hit a Draw though cant he? I thought he tried to make a Draw his natural shot shape I am sure he can move it Right to Left but it is not his natural shape. I can hit a Draw but it is not my natural shape of shot so find it a lot harder and only try to play one when no other option is available. My natural shape of shot is a straight flight I stuggle to hit any shape of shot but find a fade easier of the two.

ive never met anyone whos natural flight is straight. you are blessed my man! sergio admitted in GM that he cant hit a stright ball! i believe him !

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
ive never met anyone whos natural flight is straight. you are blessed my man! sergio admitted in GM that he cant hit a stright ball! i believe him !

I am talking about my good hits here. I can quite easily slice one to the right or pull one to the left but if I make a good swing the ball goes dead straight with little movement through the air just wish I could do it every time. It can be a problem though sometimes on holes that have dog legs etc

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yes, but probably not with the degree of control he would like.

I can hit a draw too but have to really go at it and have no idea if it will come off or not but I can do it.

Natuaral flight for me is a fade and if I go after it then it becomes a slice.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can hit a draw too but have to really go at it and have no idea if it will come off or not but I can do it.

Natuaral flight for me is a fade and if I go after it then it becomes a slice.

Can I ask, if your normal shot is a fade or slice, what do you change to draw the ball?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have two drivers? (well more than two, but only two I use). One is set up to fade the ball. One is set up to draw the ball. Both from a normal swing (well normal to me anyway). There have been times when I will have both in the bag at the same time! Don't know if its the right way to go. But it works for me sometimes.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My stock shot is a fade. I hit a draw with my driver by swinging in to out (dunno if thats crazy or not) i dont try to draw any of my other clubs though.

Luulox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My natural shot shape is straight too, when i catch it right the ball goes straight down the line. Is this a rare thing? and also is it desirable?
Cheers
Pete

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok this thread has strayed somewhat.

Does anyone have any practical setup preferences they use on how they draw and fade a driver? I am specifically interested in ball position changes.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can I ask, if your normal shot is a fade or slice, what do you change to draw the ball?

Aim right with my body, toe the club face in a tad facing it at the intended target and back a small bit in the stance and ensure I come inside on the ball, to do this I try and feel like I'm trying to tuck my right elbow into my pocket. It works probably 50% of the time when it doesn't it's a hook.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My natural shot shape is straight too, when i catch it right the ball goes straight down the line. Is this a rare thing? and also is it desirable?
Cheers
Pete

in my experiance its rare as hens teeth. people are usually fade/draw.