Fade, Draw or straight

frakar

Visit site
What do people find the best shot to use for consistency with the Longer clubs.

I have always just tried to hit straight but struggled for consistency. some people have suggested I try to fade or draw the ball to hit more fairways etc

Or is it best to just work os hitting straight.

What do people think. I am a 12 handicap.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its a tricky one, if you mess up straight shots you can go either left or right of you target. generally if you fade the ball a bad shot might be a too bigger fade and the same for a hook i guess?

think you just gotta try all the shots out and see what your most comfortable with.
Do others Agree?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whatever you can do consistently - do it. Jack Nicklaus was, and I suppose still is, a consistent fader. he said that he had 100% of the fairway to aim at off the tee, because he addressed up the left and his fade would bring him always onto the fairway. If you aim up the middle you only have 50% error each side, but if you are consistently straight, then that's the shot for you.

frakar

Visit site
And how often do people use either a fade or draw in their game generally? I have heard people say they will use it regularly with long irons but then others who would only use it to avoid trees or other forms of trouble.

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
definately fade for me although the ball doesnt go as far it offers me more control but i can move it both ways but only draw when i have to as my natural shape is left to right

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to hit it straight but then it started getting a bigger fade throughout the year. Now i hit it straight/draw which is ok for now.

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Most pros hit a fade or draw because a consistent straight shot is more difficult to achieve, yet what do a lot of us hackers do? Yes, try to hit everything straight !!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I try to play for a draw and when I am playing well can feel confident with that shape. When my timing is off I get a high cut/fade. The trick is to know your shape of shot for the day. Nick Faldo (and I think Trevino) said that they went to the range to warm up and whatever way the shot felt best i.e. fade or draw was what they went with for that day. In otherwords they didn't try to change anything

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
INick Faldo (and I think Trevino) said that they went to the range to warm up and whatever way the shot felt best i.e. fade or draw was what they went with for that day. In otherwords they didn't try to change anything

This piece of advice is what i base my course game on. sometimes i dont always get time to hit a few balls before a round but you soon find out where they're going. :D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you play off 12, you could consider shaping the ball off the tee on quite a few holes. I try to play the "correct" shot almost all the time. If I hit a straight one, it's mostly by accident. On form I hit a lot of fairways, as NF or DL would say - "shape your shots for consistency".

I honestly believe unless you are prone to a disaster shape you should a) play to your strength (i.e. hit the shape you can trust) or b) deliberatley play one or the other to stay clear of trouble. If I stood on the tee and lined myself up with no plan other than to fluke a dead straight one, I'd miss a lot more or find way more nasty bunkers.

That's my thought....

Dave

Teeshot

Club Champion
combestone.com
Although new to the game, my experience is this- I sliced the ball badly to begin with, and as such adjusted my aim. This compensated and I regularly hit fairways, just with a fair amount of swerve! (Which I'm sure was taking a few yards off)
now I am improving, I find I'm hitting straighter more often but unfortunately can't get out of the habit of aiming off centre- so now I'm pulling rather than slicing!!! :eek:

I'll get there. :rolleyes:

I think I find it hard to trust my natural swing, for the fear of badly slicing- Any tips out there?!

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i find dead straight far more satisfying than a fade or draw.i feel as if ive hit it perfect.
only time i curse a straight shot is when i anticipate a slice and aim left.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
Fade for me, sometimes straight but I would like to be able to draw the ball, I did it once don't know how but it looked really nice in the air. When I first started playing I had a really bad hook but I can't even do that now.

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
you got to aim your feet and shoulders left or right depending on which shot you you want to hit fade or draw aim the clubface where you want the ball to end up and swing along the line of your body youve also got to delay the release of your hands to hit a consistant fade and rotate your hands a bit like hitting a forehand topspin in tennis to achieve a draw takes some practice to get right mind you.ian mc

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you got to aim your feet and shoulders left or right depending on which shot you you want to hit fade or draw aim the clubface where you want the ball to end up and swing along the line of your body youve also got to delay the release of your hands to hit a consistant fade and rotate your hands a bit like hitting a forehand topspin in tennis to achieve a draw takes some practice to get right mind you.ian mc

I agree with the basics on alignment but when i used to be concious of the topspin action with the hand, I just used to hit a pull slice so i dont really recommend this. I didnt work for me at all.
If i want to hit a draw i grip the club really light so i feel zero tension in my arms hands and shoulders. You must make a decent shoulder turn and get the club on a decent plane. With a fade i pick the club up early in the back swing and hiold it with my left hand a bit tighter. The tighter grip delays the hands working at impact keeping the club face slightly open.

This is just what works for me pretty well dont think im preaching it to everyone4 its just how i do it.