F1 2021

Swango1980

Visit site
That may be your opinion, but this link indicates otherwise! https://www.coretennis.net/tennis-player/andy-murray/279/ranking.html
From 5 April 2015 until 29 Oct 2017 (almost 30 consecutive months), he was never out of Top 3!
From Nov 6 2016 until Aug 13 2017 (over 9 consecutive months), he was #1!
Not just my opinion. At end of his career, I'd imagine most people would put him behind Nadal, Djokivic and Federer. There is no chance he'd ever even he in the conversation of "Greatest of his Era", let alone "Greatest of All Time"

However, in motor racing, many will consider Lewis as GOAT, or at least enter him within the discussion. Doesn't matter what individuals think. I'm sure many will just not be able to give Lewis any credit, and certainly will desperately try and tell those that listen he is not the GOAT. Doesn't matter, the fact that many think he is the GOAT shows he has achieved a huge amount in his career. Michael Schumacher gained legendary status globally after his achievements, whether individuals liked him or not (he had a decent car as well). No different to Lewis Hamilton. For me, at least, it makes me proud he is a Brit.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not just my opinion. At end of his career, I'd imagine most people would put him behind Nadal, Djokivic and Federer. There is no chance he'd ever even he in the conversation of "Greatest of his Era", let alone "Greatest of All Time"...
I wouldn't be surprised - though it's Djokovic' btw ;)
That wasn't what my description of your post was 'Utter Twaddle' was about though! It was about your erroneous assertion(s) about his ranking!

Another FWIW....I believe Hamilton would definitely be 'in the conversation' about GOAT, but (for me) not (yet) the 'winner'.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised - though it's Djokovic' btw ;)
That wasn't what my description of your post was 'Utter Twaddle' was about though! It was about your erroneous assertion(s) about his ranking!

Another FWIW....I believe Hamilton would definitely be 'in the conversation' about GOAT, but (for me) not (yet) the 'winner'.
As was pointed out, I was not referring to the Official World Tennis Rankings in my OP. I was talking about being within the top 3 overall within his era

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As was pointed out, I was not referring to the Official World Tennis Rankings in my OP. I was talking about being within the top 3 overall within his era
Then you should be more careful with your wording! Using 'of' cf 'in' in the original claim would have been more appropriate. There was plenty of opportunity to clarify later too, but... :rolleyes:

And (another FWIW), unlike LPPhil, I've no issue with either Murray nor Hamilton being knighted. Both deserve it, though the timing of Murray's was maybe a bit more 'deserving'.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Then you should be more careful with your wording! Using 'of' cf 'in' in the original claim would have been more appropriate. There was plenty of opportunity to clarify later too, but... :rolleyes:

And (another FWIW), unlike LPPhil, I've no issue with either Murray nor Hamilton being knighted. Both deserve it, though the timing of Murray's was maybe a bit more 'deserving'.
It seems others knew what I was talking about, especially in context to what the discussion was about.

Anyway, back to F1 and what prompted the discussion (and a general point, rather than necessarily responding directly to.you). In my opinion, Lewis Hamilton definitely deserved the knighthood. If a big part of that knighthood was to do with his achievements within his sport, I don't see why he can't get the knighthood now, rather than having to wait 5, 10, 20,etc years.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dunno but seems like the F1 2021 thread may have run its course now. Given the slightly odd tangent it’s gone on.

Lock it and wait for the 2022 thread in feb?!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
That lazy argument again, it is the car doing all the work. Fair enough, Messi is not even close to being one of the greatest footballers, as he played for one of the best teams of all time.

A silly comment.
The cars don't do all of the work, but having a better car is a huge advantage.
The Messi analogy is just being churlish.
This is pointless, I'm too old for this bickerfest which I was, admittedly, dragged into ...................... apologies for that.
People won't change their opinions.
The season ended poorly and, arguably, wrongly.
Max is champion.
Lewis isn't.
The End.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
A silly comment.
The cars don't do all of the work, but having a better car is a huge advantage.
The Messi analogy is just being churlish.
This is pointless, I'm too old for this bickerfest which I was, admittedly, dragged into ...................... apologies for that.
People won't change their opinions.
The season ended poorly and, arguably, wrongly.
Max is champion.
Lewis isn't.
The End.
Hmmm, not sure it is the end. I mean, the FIA are investigating the whole affair, and I'm sure changes / clarifications will be introduced. So, it is probably only the beginning, and a long way from the end.

Swango1980

Visit site
You've misunderstood my post. I'm keen to talk and read about F1, but there's several pages of tangential stuff on knighthoods, Andy Murray and bus driving.
To be fair, the Andy Murray and knighthood stuff was brought up directly due to Lewis Hamilton's knighthood. So, in that sense, Lewis Hamilton and F1 were the primary subject. But, it did go off on a little tangent when Andy Murrays career was reviewed in a lot more detail than was probably required.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, the Andy Murray and knighthood stuff was brought up directly due to Lewis Hamilton's knighthood. So, in that sense, Lewis Hamilton and F1 were the primary subject. But, it did go off on a little tangent when Andy Murrays career was reviewed in a lot more detail than was probably required.

Well yes, given this is the 2021 F1 season discussion.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, Lewis Hamilton definitely deserved the knighthood. If a big part of that knighthood was to do with his achievements within his sport, I don't see why he can't get the knighthood now, rather than having to wait 5, 10, 20,etc years.
Quite so.
If Lewis (103 wins, 7 titles) doesn't deserve a knighthood, then nor do Jackie Stewart (27 wins, 3 titles), Jack Brabham (14 wins, 3 titles) and Stirling Moss (16 wins, 0 titles).