F1 2021

D

Deleted member 15344

Quite so.
If Lewis (103 wins, 7 titles) doesn't deserve a knighthood, then nor do Jackie Stewart (27 wins, 3 titles), Jack Brabham (14 wins, 3 titles) and Stirling Moss (16 wins, 0 titles).

Did they all get knighted once they retired from the sport ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Did they all get knighted once they retired from the sport ?
All had retired, at least from F1, when they got knighted - and all had retired for some time before too.
Modern trend seems to be different - as in 'when deemed worthy' - aka Sir Andy Murray and now Sir Lewis Hamilton.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite so.
If Lewis (103 wins, 7 titles) doesn't deserve a knighthood, then nor do Jackie Stewart (27 wins, 3 titles), Jack Brabham (14 wins, 3 titles) and Stirling Moss (16 wins, 0 titles).

Correct.
I wouldn't give any sportsman a knighthood just for doing their job, no matter how good they do/did it.
They get paid mega millions for doing that.
Knighthoods should be earned for things they do above and beyond their actual job.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Correct.
I wouldn't give any sportsman a knighthood just for doing their job, no matter how good they do/did it.
Knighthoods should be earned for things they do above and beyond their actual job.
Well, that rules out Bankers, Lawyers, Politicians, Company Director/Managers and ,er, pretty much every possible candidate!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Correct.

He’s a major contributor to the Great Ormandy Street Hospital. He’s also a major contributor to UNICEF. He contributes a lot to various charities working in Africa, and he’s just pledged to contribute £20m to another charity over the next 3 years.

Edit; if you do a quick search you’ll see he’s been donating large sums of money for years. Think I’d give him a knighthood just for his charitable work.

Swango1980

Visit site
Correct.
O dear, being dragged into a "knighthood" thread rather than F1, but here goes.

Firstly, no expert on knighthood, but to me it sounds like it originated as mounted warriors who were successful in battle. So, good at their job. I'd also imagine they were relatively well paid?

So, are you saying a "knight" centuries ago should not have been so, because all they were doing was being good at their job and being well paid? They should have been doing other things that they were not paid a direct wage for?

All I can say is, I very much disagree with your assessment. If a person does something that many in Britain can be proud of, whether they are paid for it or not, then they should be up for consideration. I've not googled what Hamilton has done outside F1, but he has had a big influence to people outside the sport, as others have alluded to. He also speaks out on things he feels are important to.him, despite knowing they will also generate some hate or frustration from some sections of society. I'll give him a lot of credit for that, whether I agree with everything he says or not.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
O dear, being dragged into a "knighthood" thread rather than F1, but here goes.

Firstly, no expert on knighthood, but to me it sounds like it originated as mounted warriors who were successful in battle. So, good at their job. I'd also imagine they were relatively well paid?

So, are you saying a "knight" centuries ago should not have been so, because all they were doing was being good at their job and being well paid? They should have been doing other things that they were not paid a direct wage for?

All I can say is, I very much disagree with your assessment. If a person does something that many in Britain can be proud of, whether they are paid for it or not, then they should be up for consideration. I've not googled what Hamilton has done outside F1, but he has had a big influence to people outside the sport, as others have alluded to. He also speaks out on things he feels are important to.him, despite knowing they will also generate some hate or frustration from some sections of society. I'll give him a lot of credit for that, whether I agree with everything he says or not.

That's fine because I totally respect your opinion, it's just that mine is different. (y)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I don't know if its been mentioned previously but I am looking forward to seeing the next series of Drive to Survive after the end of this season!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Then there would be no forums like this on which to hold reasoned debates.
But think of the productivity increases! ;)
I agree though - and my comment was really a 'throw away' reply (to an even bigger knee-jerk) to restrict it to the recognised commercial behemoths cf moderated 'clubs' like this, even if, as here, supported via 'for profit' orgs.
Of course, it's not going to happen anyway, so no point doing anything but 'wish' for the old days - as per so many conversations in Seniors 4-Balls!