F1 2021

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
See that Hamilton might be in a bit of bother for missing the event.

Mercedes should have been there irrespective of how they felt. This is just going to make them look like petty bad losers. They should have turned up. Given it the old “smile and wave boys” and had a night out. No drama

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

Mercedes should have been there irrespective of how they felt. This is just going to make them look like petty bad losers. They should have turned up. Given it the old “smile and wave boys” and had a night out. No drama
Yes you've said this already, it's not a universal view. I don't blame Wolff or SLH for not going and applaud them for it.
Missing this is no different to prem bosses etc not showing for press conferences and the like.
He'll take a small fine and move on.
Mercedes were there though.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Mercedes WERE there - to pick up their (8th) Constructors win
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...structors-trophies.HcfvZtilLGhIwSYBw8GSe.html

Btw. Shouldn't it be 'Sir Lewis' since his investiture? ;)

Last edited:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Meh. Knighted too early. His career is still a few years away from ending. I am not for knighthoods until they’re done with the day job for sportspeople

I’ve never heard anyone say that about Andy Murray. Who was knighted for achieving far less.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ve never heard anyone say that about Andy Murray. Who was knighted for achieving far less.

Andy Murray won three slams and winning Wimbledon for the first time in decades as a Brit but I don’t know how you can compare cross sports

But no one should be knighted as a sports star when still playing said sport - and that includes the likes of Wiggins , Murray etc

Swango1980

Visit site
Andy Murray won three slams and winning Wimbledon for the first time in decades as a Brit but I don’t know how you can compare cross sports

But no one should be knighted as a sports star when still playing said sport - and that includes the likes of Wiggins , Murray etc
So? Hamilton achieved something only one other driver in history had achieved. Murray has never even been in the top 3 tennis players in his own era.

D

Deleted member 15344

So? Hamilton achieved something only one other driver in history had achieved. Murray has never even been in the top 3 tennis players in his own era.

Well done Hamilton - doesn’t diminish Murray’s achievements and it’s ridiculous to try and compare the two

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Meh. Knighted too early. His career is still a few years away from ending. I am not for knighthoods until they’re done with the day job for sportspeople
Don't his achievements to date mean he already deserves it? It's a reward for achievements - not 'career' achievements. No different to knighthoods in other 'occuptaions'
I'm certainly OK with it (already).

Swango1980

Visit site
Well done Hamilton - doesn’t diminish Murray’s achievements and it’s ridiculous to try and compare the two
I never said it did, winning Wimbledon is amazing. But, you were replying directly to a post that was comparing how people react to Murray compared to Hamilton about their knighthood. Your response seemed to be very defensive of Murray, hence I assumed you were defending his knighthood.

D

Deleted member 15344

I never said it did, winning Wimbledon is amazing. But, you were replying directly to a post that was comparing how people react to Murray compared to Hamilton about their knighthood. Your response seemed to be very defensive of Murray, hence I assumed you were defending his knighthood.

My reaction is the same to both hence why is said

?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If they deserve a knight/damehood (at the end of their career) for the achievements up to any point, then they deserve a knighthood AT that point!
I differentiate between the above achievements (such as Murray's and Hamilton's) and the 'end of career reward' for the overall career..
Classic example - at least for a Kiwi....Should Ed Hillary have had to wait until 'retirement' from climbing mountains before being knighted? Absolutely not! There is, however, a difference between specific outstanding achievement(s) and 'career' ones - like (more Kiwi perspective) achievements in Rugby or Netball.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally i dont thimk anyone should get knighted just for being good at sport, its their job at the end of the day. Am I going to get knighted for being good at driving coaches? Bit bloody unlikely...
There ARE 'peoples awards' - for outstanding service as nominated by 'communities', though I'm not sure the awards extend to knighthoods.