Extreme Pain On Left Hand Side Near Ribs After Few Balls At The Range - What is going on?!

AdamW

Visit site

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I know the pros like Rors get some stick from time to time about the amount of gym activity they do but I believe some of what they do is aimed at injury prevention too.

I used to do triathlon and while doing so I never suffered from these kinds of things. Not I’m just golfing I’m getting twinges like this all the time....

AdamW

Visit site
I know the pros like Rors get some stick from time to time about the amount of gym activity they do but I believe some of what they do is aimed at injury prevention too.

I used to do triathlon and while doing so I never suffered from these kinds of things. Not I’m just golfing I’m getting twinges like this all the time....

Been weight training for 2 years solid wondering if I have gone too heavy at some point and caused some muscle rips only come to light in the golf swing .

Taking this week off gym and golf and it is not proving to be easing doing nothing

Wolf

Visit site
Depends on the pain is it a sharp sensation.

Could be damage to the intercostal muscles where your rotating through the ball. In your gym work how much rotational movement patterns do you work through.

A good exercise that could help you strengthen that area without over rotation and aggravating what's already sore is the pallof press using either a band tied to something or a cable machine. It's a good core exercise for all golfers.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Been weight training for 2 years solid wondering if I have gone too heavy at some point and caused some muscle rips only come to light in the golf swing .

Taking this week off gym and golf and it is not proving to be easing doing nothing
Yup, I hear you with that one, quite possible. The intercostals are notorious for taking ages to heal, I think that’s what Rory suffered from a while back.

If it’s muscular, upping protein intake may help, although I’m guessing that’s already quite high.

Ice, gentle stretching and maybe something dumbbell side bends, cable trunk twists and the like to try and strengthen the core?

D

Deleted member 21258

Depends on the pain is it a sharp sensation.

Could be damage to the intercostal muscles where your rotating through the ball. In your gym work how much rotational movement patterns do you work through.

A good exercise that could help you strengthen that area without over rotation and aggravating what's already sore is the pallof press using either a band tied to something or a cable machine. It's a good core exercise for all golfers.

Think I did this on a GM day(could not even chip without a lot of pain), took quite a number of weeks to fully repair.

OP, after a couple of weeks ish I could swing the club slowly without any pain.

Does it hurt when you sneeze or blow your nose hard? (that did cause me pain for a few weeks, even though day to day no pain to speak of, apart from swinging a golf club!)

Ultimately with most things, if worried goto doctors or let the body heal its self with rest or taking it much easier.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What warm up routine do you use?
Nothing specific but have a number of resource videos to refer to - general stretching mainly. I tend to stick to general stuff in the locker room or practice ground to just loosen up before hitting balls before a round and do some of the more specific exercises at home (although I've become very lax since before Christmas and need to get back into these again regularly)

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/vide...sistance-band-golf-exercises-for-the-over-50s

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/fitness/the_science_behind_a_golf_warm_up

http://www.thera-bandacademy.com/exercise/

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Id be surprised if it's not an "intercostal" strain,I had what sounds identical a few seasons ago,rest and ibuprofen the cure after a quick chat to GP. Clearly get professional advice! In better news I could only putt for a month right handed in my mancave really beneficial! so every cloud....

AdamW

Visit site
Unfortunately the pain has come back again, absolutely gutted :(

Have a physio appointment booked on Friday to hopefully find out what is going on

U

User62651

Had this a couple of years ago, ripped muscle between the ribs,had to rest for a month. Was fine after that.

Yep, called an Intercostal tear, comes with age. I did it once on a leg press machine at gym, audible pop, then pain, feels similar to broken rib. Not good. Rest and hope you dont get a cold as sneezing is sore.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yep, called an Intercostal tear, comes with age. I did it once on a leg press machine at gym, audible pop, then pain, feels similar to broken rib. Not good. Rest and hope you dont get a cold as sneezing is sore.
saw a Doc in the end. every time i hit a shot it was like someone stabbing me hard in the ribs, excruciating pain. a months rest sorted it and never had it since

Bit of rough

Visit site
I had something similar, recurring, over the ten months after I took up golf again. It occurred on either side, didn't seem to be pattern.

I visited one physio based in a gym a few times; she loosened things up and got me on the mend. Then another time, it happened when I was warming up for a round an hour away from home; it was so painful, I had doubts about whether I could drive back home.

A quick google got me an appointment at a physio's down the road. Turned out he was a proper old-school physio, had been doing it for forty-odd years. He spotted the spasm straight away and loosened it up, but also spotted a bigger problem that was the root cause of it. Apparently the joints between three vertebrae up in the sore area had effectively frozen up; they were barely moving. So as I tried to turn in the golf swing, they resisted, and my intercostals took the strain.

Three sessions over a week, forty quid each, sorted for good, hopefully. I do thoracic spine stretches and rotation stretches 4+ times a week and haven't had a problem since - and can turn so much further than a year ago.

Good luck getting it sorted. No harm in trying more than one physio.

AdamW

Visit site
I had something similar, recurring, over the ten months after I took up golf again. It occurred on either side, didn't seem to be pattern.

I visited one physio based in a gym a few times; she loosened things up and got me on the mend. Then another time, it happened when I was warming up for a round an hour away from home; it was so painful, I had doubts about whether I could drive back home.

A quick google got me an appointment at a physio's down the road. Turned out he was a proper old-school physio, had been doing it for forty-odd years. He spotted the spasm straight away and loosened it up, but also spotted a bigger problem that was the root cause of it. Apparently the joints between three vertebrae up in the sore area had effectively frozen up; they were barely moving. So as I tried to turn in the golf swing, they resisted, and my intercostals took the strain.

Three sessions over a week, forty quid each, sorted for good, hopefully. I do thoracic spine stretches and rotation stretches 4+ times a week and haven't had a problem since - and can turn so much further than a year ago.

Good luck getting it sorted. No harm in trying more than one physio.

Thank you for the great information.

Has given me hope this can be fixed :)